Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, I know there is a lot of threads on this but this one is marginally different.

My question is what grade is needed for following courses for entry? Yes some are more obvious than others please fill in missing numbers or correct my mistake.

Mphil Finance and Economics at Cambridge= 1st a must?
    Mphil Finance at Cambridge =1st a must
    Msc Accounting and Finance LSE =???
    Msc Finance LSE =1st and then some
    Msc Finance Warwick =1st ?
    Msc Accounting and Finance Warwick =?
    Msc Finance and Economics Warwick =?
    Msc Finance and Investment Edinburgh =?
    Msc Accounting and Finance Edinburgh =?
    Msc Economics Edinburgh =?
    Msc Finance St Andrews =?
    Msc Finance UCL =?

My situation is: just completed my undergraduate degree at a UK uni in Economics and Accountancy, waiting for my degree result could be a 1st or 2.1. I am also going to start work and start to study towards being a professional accountant with a firm doing ICAS CA program. By doing this I can save for a masters by living at home. Do you think that being a qualified accountant will increase my chances? Say for example I get a 1st + have CA accountancy qualification will that help for LSE Finance? Or say I get a 2.1 and CA qualification will this be enough for Warwick Finance or Cambridge Finance?

Sorry for long question but I hope this thread is interesting a can gather facts on exactly the entry grades for these courses.

ReputationRep:
    I think you should look directly at each courses to find information on the website. BTW, based on I and my friends' experiences for 2013- 2014 application, I have conclusion that,
    Msc Finance Warwick = GPA 3.60 up
    MSc Finance and Economics = GPA 3.50 up

All of my friends who have lower GPA than what I mentioned were rejected.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the info I know it may seem a silly question as the uni's state what they require on their website. However although a lot state 2.1 minimum some may ask for more. However i received a 1st class honours degree yesterday so should be in good stead.

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge MPhil Finance/Finance and Economics is ridiculously high, at least 75%, preferably 80%+. I know two guys in the Finance program at the moment and they had 85% and 84%. A friend of mine with 78% didn't bother to apply.The chance you get in with a 2.1 or barely getting a 1st are pretty much zero.
    LSE Finance - 1st is enough. If you have a 1st from a decent UK uni you are pretty much in.
    LSE A&F - high 2.1 is sometimes enough. I'm in the program with 68%. Offer was for 1st, didn't get that but 760 GMAT thankfully compensated for it. Most of the people in the program have a 1st though, I'm definitely in the minority. So if you fail to get a 1st take the GMAT and score 700+.
    The rest - 2.1, some might want a high 2.1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mohamed17)
    Hi all, I know there is a lot of threads on this but this one is marginally different.

My question is what grade is needed for following courses for entry? Yes some are more obvious than others please fill in missing numbers or correct my mistake.

Mphil Finance and Economics at Cambridge= 1st a must?
    Mphil Finance at Cambridge =1st a must
    Msc Accounting and Finance LSE =???
    Msc Finance LSE =1st and then some
    Msc Finance Warwick =1st ?
    Msc Accounting and Finance Warwick =?
    Msc Finance and Economics Warwick =?
    Msc Finance and Investment Edinburgh =?
    Msc Accounting and Finance Edinburgh =?
    Msc Economics Edinburgh =?
    Msc Finance St Andrews =?
    Msc Finance UCL =?

My situation is: just completed my undergraduate degree at a UK uni in Economics and Accountancy, waiting for my degree result could be a 1st or 2.1. I am also going to start work and start to study towards being a professional accountant with a firm doing ICAS CA program. By doing this I can save for a masters by living at home. Do you think that being a qualified accountant will increase my chances? Say for example I get a 1st + have CA accountancy qualification will that help for LSE Finance? Or say I get a 2.1 and CA qualification will this be enough for Warwick Finance or Cambridge Finance?

Sorry for long question but I hope this thread is interesting a can gather facts on exactly the entry grades for these courses.
    Why will anyone neg that comment??

ReputationRep:
    Lego: comments you made are very useful. After reading more posts over last week I see cambridge is very hard to get into my background is: 1st class in Economics and Accountancy studying in Edinburgh. But my view is that I will apply very early and if I get in fantastic I shall go and if not I will go to the next best uni. However that is where it becomes difficult. I am pretty sure I could get an offer from LSE for A an F however for Finance I don't wont to or don't have time to do the gmat which I think is very important for that program. Also personally I have done accounting and wouldn't mind doing A and F at LSE where I can structure my degree to my interests anyway.

I was wondering wether by doing A and F at LSE will big banks goldman's or jp morgan etc and big 4 accountancy etc will this get course get me interviews at these places in the same way MSC in finance will. Or do employers much prefer MSC finance at lse and do not seek A and F as much. Because I would be more than happy with A and F but only if it gives me the same wow prestige factor with employer and same opportunities and doors open that msc in finance gives. I am pretty sure beyond lse my second option is Warwick do you think it is better to do msc finance at warwick or lse A and F. Will warwick straight finance get me into big banks etc more easily as it is straight finance?. Also how have you found the course is it good? very difficult? I am good at maths but at the same time I don't want to be killed with it so thinking of just disregarding imperial?

Sorry for all the question but clearly you are much more knowledgeable on this area and your experiences would help me greatly.

Nick: Lol I agree Nicck already lego has proved that the entry grades are generic on websites i.e. cambridge needing a high first but only states 2.1/strong preferences for a 1st on the website.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Well, I might be biased but from my experience, no one cares if you do A&F or straight Finance. What will make or break your chances will be the rest of your profile, not the degree you choose. There are people in the MSc Accounting, Organisations and Institutions program, which some see as the last in the pecking order of LSE business degrees, who get interviews with McKinsey and others in MSc Finance who don't get a single interview. So it really doesn't matter from a job prospects perspective. However, there are important differences in the programs, which you should research more carefully. I will quote an old post I made, which outlines some of the differences, you can skip it if you don't care about them:

I am in the A&F programme and I will actually have exams on these courses in about 2 weeks... You telling me which course is more or less quantitative is absurd...
    E&F = Core Econ courses + A&F's finance electives
    A&F = Core A&F courses + A&F's finance electives + Accounting courses
    If you want you can do absolutely the same electives in A&F and E&F
    Whereas MSc Finance courses are not available for the rest of the university.
    Plus A&F and E&F require a prior A&F/Econ degree, whereas you can do the MSc Finance with a bachelors in BA Art History.
    From E&F's page on LSE's website:
    "Applicants should have a strong undergraduate training in quantitative subjects such as economics, maths, physics, engineering, finance or business and wish to specialize in financial economics."
    Furthermore:
    "Students interested in a finance-related MSc with a less analytical orientation should consider the MSc Finance (full-time) programme."
    From A&F's page on LSE's website:
    "The MSc assumes an academic background in the following subjects prior to entry to the programme: financial reporting, management accounting, finance, economics and quantitative methods."
    From MSc Finance's page on LSE's website:
    "The programme offers high level graduates, whose backgrounds may not necessarily be in finance, a unique opportunity to gain a comprehensive foundation and subsequent depth in the field."
    It's pretty obvious that if you choose only finance electives in A&F (as most people do) in terms of quantitativeness, it's E&F>A&F>Finance
    That being said if you don't like numbers you can do a joke of an A&F degree if you choose your electives wisely. Like:
    CF&AM (1 unit), Management Accounting (1unit), Leadership in Organisations (0.5 unit), Law of International Economic and Financial Sanctions (0.5 unit), 1 unit in any course in the university - you can take psychology if you want.
    So, no, MSc Finance is not more quantitative then A&F. It can be, but not necessarily, it all depends on electives.
    Btw you choose 2 programs when you apply, so you can choose 1st MSc Finance, 2nd A&F and be done with it. It won't hurt your chances for A&F if you choose it as a 2nd choice. You might get to know if you are accepted a bit later if you get rejected by your 1st choice but that's it. When you apply doesn't really matter. I applied late February and got an offer late March. All in all, you shouldn't worry too much about this. Instead focus on improving the rest of your profile or just celebrate graduating with a 1st.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lego)
    Well, I might be biased but from my experience, no one cares if you do A&F or straight Finance. What will make or break your chances will be the rest of your profile, not the degree you choose. There are people in the MSc Accounting, Organisations and Institutions program, which some see as the last in the pecking order of LSE business degrees, who get interviews with McKinsey and others in MSc Finance who don't get a single interview. So it really doesn't matter from a job prospects perspective. However, there are important differences in the programs, which you should research more carefully. I will quote an old post I made, which outlines some of the differences, you can skip it if you don't care about them:

Btw you choose 2 programs when you apply, so you can choose 1st MSc Finance, 2nd A&F and be done with it. It won't hurt your chances for A&F if you choose it as a 2nd choice. You might get to know if you are accepted a bit later if you get rejected by your 1st choice but that's it. When you apply doesn't really matter. I applied late February and got an offer late March. All in all, you shouldn't worry too much about this. Instead focus on improving the rest of your profile or just celebrate graduating with a 1st.
    Wrong. This statement was taken from the LSE graduate admissions website:

Given the high competition for places on this programme, applicants who indicate an interest in the MSc Accounting and Finance specifically as their first choice will maximise their prospect of admission to the programme.

ReputationRep:
    Duh... of course they will say so...

ReputationRep:
    LOL @ this thread

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 28, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.