Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What's your thoughts on unpaid internships? I was reading in the news that they are not really legal if what you're doing is really the job of someone who should be getting paid. So you should get the minimum wage.

I think from the bosses perspective it is just getting free work and exploiting eager young people and their dreams.

From the workers perspective it might be the only way they can break into the industry.

I think a lot of bosses are born into rich families and so don't understand that people need to be paid and "why can't they just do it for free and the passion for the job?" But of course, not everyone can afford to work for free for 6 months.

I notice most unpaid internships are in things such as fashion design, journalism, media, and art jobs. i.e. the kind of jobs that are thought of as "fun".

But if I was a newspaper editor does that mean I should just get a load of young people to work for me for free to make me rich and just tell them that it's good "experience".

After all what good is "experience" if after your 6 months you're asked to leave and they get another unpaid intern to do your job!!!!

Has anyone done (or is about to do) an unpaid internship?

ReputationRep:
    There is something like a £2.50 minimum wage I believe. Isn't it illegal to be unpaid?

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.