The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aa05
hey guys can someone please post the january 2013 paper and markscheme? :smile:

Here you go :smile:
Original post by k1rby
Nitrogen is in the 5th group and so forms a 5+ ion. Copper has a variable oxidation state (along with the other transition metals) so don't rely on it always being 2+ :smile:

I thought Nitrogen formed 3- ions (azide ions)
HELP WITH QUESTION 4Bii from the January 2011 paper!!! calculate conc. of HYDROXIDE IONS...ok so that's released from H20...double moles to get 0.00262moles...isn't that in 100cm3? so to find out how much in 1m3 should you multiply that by 10?
Original post by Freddy-Francis
Na2S2O3

O = -2 -2 -2 = -6
Na = +1 +1 = +2
Therefore S = +2 +2

Sulphur = +2
then why isnt it +4 :confused:
Reply 404
Original post by Kitnimohabbathai
guys help!!!!!!! question 3di from the may 2010 paper!?!! table on ionisation energies for aluminium...which ionisation energies represent removing electron from s subshell???? still have four past papers left :frown:

To make it easier you should write out the electrical configuration of aluminium which is 1s2,2s2,2p6,3s2,3p1

From here, you can work out which ionisation energies involve taking an electron from the S subshell.

The first is taken from the p subshell.
But the 2nd and 3rd electron are taken from the 3s2 subshell, so this is the 2nd and third ionisation energy.

Then 6 electrons are taken from the p subshell
The next electrons taken from the 2s2 subshells will be the 10th and 11th electrons and so the 10th and 11th ionisation energies.

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 405
Original post by supernova99
Here you go :smile:

thankyou! :smile:
Original post by WorkingDodo

I thought nitrogen wasn't always +5?
Guys chemistry has pretty much the same paper layout every year do you think its going to change this year like biology did?
HELP WITH QUESTION 4Bii from the January 2011 paper!!! calculate conc. of HYDROXIDE IONS...ok so that's released from H20...double moles to get 0.00262moles...isn't that in 100cm3? so to find out how much in 1m3 should you multiply that by 10?

You divide 0.00262 moles by 0.25 dm3
thank you soo much :smile: one thing im finding confusing....why do you count from the end? I started counting from 1s2,2s2...so I thought it would be the 1st and 2nd?
Please god let me get 45+ marks pleaseee
Reply 411
Original post by WorkingDodo

When it's in a nitrate ion (NO3-) it has a 5+ oxidation state always but when it's in ammonia (NH3) it is 3-. So it does usually but you'll need to remember when it isn't :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Legal drugdealer
Guys chemistry has pretty much the same paper layout every year do you think its going to change this year like biology did?

To be honest i don't think there is much more that they could change so drastically but they may put little things in that they know people always get wrong.
Reply 413
thank you soo much :smile: one thing im finding confusing....why do you count from the end? I started counting from 1s2,2s2...so I thought it would be the 1st and 2nd?

If you think about it like this... (how I think about it)

The electrons are removed from the furthest outer electrons in the outer sub shells first, and so the last subshells would be the first ones the electrons would be removed from, as they are the furthest away from the nucleus.

Probably, Biology and Physics changed a lot :frown:
Original post by supernova99
To be honest i don't think there is much more that they could change so drastically but they may put little things in that they know people always get wrong.

Yh i guess but i think they might put more questions about applying our knowledge like biology.
Yh i guess but i think they might put more questions about applying our knowledge like biology.

Yeah they might do :s-smilie: I guess we'll find out tomorrow morning!
Reply 417
Do any of you agree, that the mark schemes for the ionisation energy and boiling/melting point questions seems really inconsistent? Some you get a mark for talking about the atomic radii, some you don't. The same with the nuclear pull aswell, it's silly.
Original post by JimmyA*
Do any of you agree, that the mark schemes for the ionisation energy and boiling/melting point questions seems really inconsistent? Some you get a mark for talking about the atomic radii, some you don't. The same with the nuclear pull aswell, it's silly.

I do agree, it is annoying. I tend to write about number of shells, shielding effect and atomic radii just in case they decide to take one out of the mark scheme this year!
Obscure definitions they may throw at us!

Amount of Substance A quantity whose unit is the mole, used as a means to count No. of atoms
Mole Unit amount of a substance with as many particles as there are in 12g of a carbon-12 atom
Molecular formula The actual number of atoms of each element in a molecule
Concentration Amount of solute, in mole, per 1dm3 of solution
Concentrated High amount of solute per 1dm3 of solution
Dilute Low amount of solute per 1dm3 of solution

Just a lil heads up, probably won't come up but since people are saying this exam is going to be harder than usual... never know!

Good luck :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending