Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone. I am an international student who has applied for Accounting and Finance in the UK. I've received all my offers, all of which are conditional, and am now having a bit of difficulty in deciding my firm and insurance universities. The three main universities I'm having trouble choosing from are The University of Warwick, LSE, and University of Bath.

All of the offers by these three universities are identical (38 IB Points), each have subject requirements but they aren't a problem. My insurance is in my own country and so there's no need for me to choose one of my other UCAS offers with a much lower IB Point requirement as a insurance.

I've already visited each of these universities last summer and checked out the campuses myself; in which I concluded that the campuses for each of these universities were fine for me to spend the next three years of my life.

With regards to my offers, the offer Bath has given me involves a one year placement. This seems extremely valuable and I believe would aid me in the future after I graduate from the university. LSE and Warwick however do not give me the option of a one year placement.

I'd appreciate any input you guys here at TSR could give me. =]

ReputationRep:
    Personally I think I would go with LSE as graduate prospects are very high and pretty much specialize in that area. A degree from LSE is extremely nice to put on your CV. It is expensive to live in London however and as you say the year placement is a valuable asset to have.

Rest assured that whatever you choose, all are very very good universities to be at.

ReputationRep:
    I see. I've also checked the course content for each of these unis and they all appealed to me. It's making it quite difficult to decide which of these 3 to go for. =S

ReputationRep:
    All 3 universities are excellent in terms of job prospects, I think the problem you have is that Bath is offering a one year placement (experience is always valuable!) and this could be quite key.

In terms of Universities, these 3 are considered one of the top universities in the country - especially for Accounting & Finance. LSE/Warwick are almost similar in the sense of 'prestige' and if you chose either one, your employer will be impressed guaranteed. Don't get me wrong, Bath is just as good but in terms of business-related subjects, LSE/Warwick are like the Oxbridge. However, Bath have offered you a chance to get ahead of the game by offering a one year placement (they shouldn't charge you a full years fee but I would check with them to be sure) and this may ultimately lead to you securing a job with whoever you work with in that year. Then again, any applicant to a job that has LSE/Warwick on their CV in likely to impress their potential employee.

Since you're an international student, your fees will be higher than students from UK. LSE is in London (as you would have guessed by the name :P ) and the costs of living in London are significantly higher than staying in Coventry (where Warwick university is). I am unsure about Bath but hopefully someone else can help out. I am also unsure in which loans etc you can apply for but I'm sure you are eligible for some loans to help you out.

You may see my post is orientated around 'prestige' of university but frankly, after speaking to a fair few employers, it does play a part in applications.

You want to choose a university where you will perform best at, because the employers also mentioned grades matter too.

If 3 applicants had identical grades (lets say 2:1) from LSE, Warwick and Bath... but no experience then they say it depends on the persons interview, but on paper, the LSE/Warwick would get the job. However, if the Bath student had more experience then they would get it - experience is key.

If you look at Unistats (google it, actual statistics) - Bath and one year placement actually has a higher AVERAGE graduate salary (please note average as it's different for everyone) than both LSE and Warwick. This would suggest their graduates are better paid but it really depends on the firm and individual - just thought I'd point that out so don't take Bath university as inferior to LSE/Warwick.

You may have liked all 3 places but I am sure you would have liked one place more than the others (not because of prestige but because you like the place itself!) - pick that. Rest assured, regardless of where you study from out of these 3 universities - you will get a job, not just any job, a good job.

Study hard and good luck!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi BananaPie,

I work in the Admissions team at Bath and have just noticed this thread.

federation has clearly provided some very helpful information, and I thought I would provide some additional information on the following:

they shouldn't charge you a full years fee but I would check with them to be sure
    The fees for a placement year are indeed a proportion of the full fee, and can be found here for the 2013/14 academic year-

the costs of living in London are significantly higher than staying in Coventry (where Warwick university is). I am unsure about Bath but hopefully someone else can help out. I am also unsure in which loans etc you can apply for but I'm sure you are eligible for some to help out.
    As suggested by federation living costs within London are almost certainly going to be higher than those outside of London. We have information on our website relating to living costs and the cost of accommodation in Bath. If you combine our estimates for cost of living and cost of accommodation, then the total amount is comparable to that stated by Warwick on their website.

I hope that this is helpful, and please do let me know if you have any specific queries relating to Bath.

ReputationRep:
    Judging from the information provided by the uni.of Bath representative, it seems it would cost £6,500 for the one year placement instead of £13,000 which is what you would have to pay normally for a year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by federation)
    All 3 universities are excellent in terms of job prospects, I think the problem you have is that Bath is offering a one year placement (experience is always valuable!) and this could be quite key.

In terms of Universities, these 3 are considered one of the top universities in the country - especially for Accounting & Finance. LSE/Warwick are almost similar in the sense of 'prestige' and if you chose either one, your employer will be impressed guaranteed. Don't get me wrong, Bath is just as good but in terms of business-related subjects, LSE/Warwick are like the Oxbridge. However, Bath have offered you a chance to get ahead of the game by offering a one year placement (they shouldn't charge you a full years fee but I would check with them to be sure) and this may ultimately lead to you securing a job with whoever you work with in that year. Then again, any applicant to a job that has LSE/Warwick on their CV in likely to impress their potential employee.

Since you're an international student, your fees will be higher than students from UK. LSE is in London (as you would have guessed by the name :P ) and the costs of living in London are significantly higher than staying in Coventry (where Warwick university is). I am unsure about Bath but hopefully someone else can help out. I am also unsure in which loans etc you can apply for but I'm sure you are eligible for some loans to help you out.

You may see my post is orientated around 'prestige' of university but frankly, after speaking to a fair few employers, it does play a part in applications.

You want to choose a university where you will perform best at, because the employers also mentioned grades matter too.

If 3 applicants had identical grades (lets say 2:1) from LSE, Warwick and Bath... but no experience then they say it depends on the persons interview, but on paper, the LSE/Warwick would get the job. However, if the Bath student had more experience then they would get it - experience is key.

If you look at Unistats (google it, actual statistics) - Bath and one year placement actually has a higher AVERAGE graduate salary (please note average as it's different for everyone) than both LSE and Warwick. This would suggest their graduates are better paid but it really depends on the firm and individual - just thought I'd point that out so don't take Bath university as inferior to LSE/Warwick.

You may have liked all 3 places but I am sure you would have liked one place more than the others (not because of prestige but because you like the place itself!) - pick that. Rest assured, regardless of where you study from out of these 3 universities - you will get a job, not just any job, a good job.

Study hard and good luck!
    Thanks for the detailed input, I really appreciate it. With regards to accomodation, though, I personally find Bath's and Warwick's campuses to be extremely beautiful and they both seem like an excellent place to relax, have a stroll around, and study in a peaceful environment. However, and this may seem like I'm juxtaposing myself, I am slightly worried about the differences between that and city life. Personally I'm living in the city and have done so for my entire life (Hong Kong) and I'm fairly used to having a lot of things nearby such as the underground, bunch of shopping malls, etc... I haven't actually visited Bath and Coventry in general so I don't have much of a clue with regards of what can actually be done there.

Note: Nightlife partying is nice, but it's not an absolute necessity for me so we can disregard this.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there.

You have had an amazing response above and it'd be hard to try and say anything on top of that.

I just want to mention that the QS world rankings for the subject of accounting actually rank LSE 2nd in the world, that is an incredible achievement to boast about. The fact you could go to an employer and say "Well actually, I went to the second best university globally for A&F" (as at 2013 it's worth noting). http://www.topuniversities.com/unive...013/accounting I think that speaks volumes but then again, they are all incredible universities for A&F and if you ignore the ranking you should pick one that you love the most. You could go to LSE for the ranking and not enjoy it and come out with a 2:1, whereas Bath you may have fallen in love with and come out with a 1st.

They say university are the best years of your life and as all the universities are impeccably similar, I'd say follow your heart.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BananaPie)
    Hello everyone. I am an international student who has applied for Accounting and Finance in the UK. I've received all my offers, all of which are conditional, and am now having a bit of difficulty in deciding my firm and insurance universities. The three main universities I'm having trouble choosing from are The University of Warwick, LSE, and University of Bath.

All of the offers by these three universities are identical (38 IB Points), each have subject requirements but they aren't a problem. My insurance is in my own country and so there's no need for me to choose one of my other UCAS offers with a much lower IB Point requirement as a insurance.

I've already visited each of these universities last summer and checked out the campuses myself; in which I concluded that the campuses for each of these universities were fine for me to spend the next three years of my life.

With regards to my offers, the offer Bath has given me involves a one year placement. This seems extremely valuable and I believe would aid me in the future after I graduate from the university. LSE and Warwick however do not give me the option of a one year placement.

I'd appreciate any input you guys here at TSR could give me. =]
    Absolutely LSE all the way, it's my dream right now and is head and shoulders above Warwick and Bath, internationally acclaimed and one of the best unis in the world. You have an opportunity to go LSE, you take it.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 19, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.