Bath
    Leeds
    Manchester
    Birmingham
    King's

ReputationRep:
    bump....

ReputationRep:
    The US News & World Report ranking of Best Colleges is a popular league table in the USA. Comparing universities on this list to the typical UK university league table rankings for the universities you've listed should give you a fair idea of which schools would be comparable to those universities.

Here is the list: http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandre.../best-colleges

ReputationRep:
    The US News ranking is of course based on reputation, and there are some other rankings based on this metric as well. But there are many more factors determining similarity or difference, and many other metrics by which to evaluate universities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bryant21)
    What would be the US equivalents of these universities:

Durham
    Exeter
    Loughborough
    Nottingham
    Bath
    Leeds
    Manchester
    Birmingham
    King's
    'Equivalent' on what metric? Do you mean:

Equivalent for the regard in which undergraduate degrees are held?
    Offering a similar experience?
    Equivalent for their research outputs?

I mean, there's no sense if someone thinking of prestige is going to tell you KCL is equivalent to (I dunno) Duke, but the next poster comes back with "WTF?! Duke's in a small town. The equivalent would have to be NYU".

If you mean for undergraduate degrees, as I loosely suppose that you do, then the issue is going to be complicated by the fact that the very best providers of these in the US are often the Liberal Arts colleges.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambio wechsel)
    'Equivalent' on what metric? Do you mean:

Equivalent for the regard in which undergraduate degrees are held?
    Offering a similar experience?
    Equivalent for their research outputs?

I mean, there's no sense if someone thinking of prestige is going to tell you KCL is equivalent to (I dunno) Duke, but the next poster comes back with "WTF?! Duke's in a small town. The equivalent would have to be NYU".

If you mean for undergraduate degrees, as I loosely suppose that you do, then the issue is going to be complicated by the fact that the very best providers of these in the US are often the Liberal Arts colleges.
    Most of these universities are completely unknown to most americans with the possible exception of Manchester due to Manchester United.

The equivalent is probably the general 2nd tier in the US that are also unknown to most brits.

university of virginia, ucla, usc, uc davis, uiowa,uofarizona, texas a&m, many of the liberal arts colleges, nyu, penn state, uflorida, udub, gw univeristy.

Durham might be more equivalent to Georgetown, Rice...
    KCL might be more equivalent to NYU..

I'm basing this mostly on reputation/difficulty of admissions not research or location or school size.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.