Turn on thread page Beta

Does inteligence imply consciousness? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Inteligence is usually defined as the ability to learn, and to take advantage of acumulated knowledge. Does this definition also cover the concept of consciousness?

ReputationRep:
    It used to but then someone invented computers, someone started saying that computers were intelligent and then people got scared and changed the meaning of intelligent (according to this book I've been reading).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonatan)
    Inteligence is usually defined as the ability to learn, and to take advantage of acumulated knowledge. Does this definition also cover the concept of consciousness?
    I think it's a vague question, but yes, in a way, I would agree.

ReputationRep:
    conscioussness has connotations of a more general awareness, both internally and externally. so not really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tigs)
    conscioussness has connotations of a more general awareness, both internally and externally. so not really.
    Well, self awarness and consciousness is more or less just synonyms. How does it differ from inteligence?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tigs)
    Depends on your definition of conciousness. If you are more intelligent, are you generally more aware internally and externally? Yes you are. So in that way the two are inter-linked.

ReputationRep:
    Well, self awarness and consciousness is more or less just synonyms. How does it differ from inteligence?
    read the Crick book your father lent to me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    I would say no, consciousness and intelligence are entirely separate. Consciousness is a phenomenon appearing in beings that happen to be intelligent. One can be conscious without intelligence (think of someone with absolutely no memory but a little knowledge), or intelligent without consciouness (AI).
    good call

ReputationRep:
    I would say no, consciousness and intelligence are entirely separate. Consciousness is a phenomenon appearing in beings that happen to be intelligent. One can be conscious without intelligence (think of someone with absolutely no memory but a little knowledge), or intelligent without consciouness (AI).
    Are you really conscious without any memory? I mean, to what extent can you claim to be aware of your own existance if you have no memory? As for AI, would you not claim that a computer with comparable inteligence to a human should be considered as conscious?

ReputationRep:
    Are you really conscious without any memory? I mean, to what extent can you claim to be aware of your own existance if you have no memory? As for AI, would you not claim that a computer with comparable inteligence to a human should be considered as conscious?
    no - artificial intelligence cannot be considered conscious because consciousness is a quality exclusive to the living - unless you mean replicants which dont exist ... yet

ReputationRep:
    if you are more intelligent, you are more concious, in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    simplify: everyone has a consciousness- their own perception of reality- but not everyone is intelligent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kurdt Morello)
    no - artificial intelligence cannot be considered conscious because consciousness is a quality exclusive to the living - unless you mean replicants which dont exist ... yet
    How do you know that inteligence is a feature exlusive to organic systems? After all, if the grey lump of proteins amino acids and DNA that spawns our inteligence can do the job, then why could not a lump of silicon alloys with ferromagnetic storage devices and capacitor memories do the same job ?

ReputationRep:
    How do you know that inteligence is a feature exlusive to organic systems? After all, if the grey lump of proteins amino acids and DNA that spawns our inteligence can do the job, then why could not a lump of silicon alloys with ferromagnetic storage devices and capacitor memories do the same job ?
    where is the evidence for this though?

ReputationRep:
    You could be conscious in the sense that you could 'talk to yourself' in your head, which is thought, but instantly forget it. There would have to be residual basic knowledge for this to work, and for the person to have self awareness.

A computer could potentially be conscious in a sense given the right programming, but it will be also possible to make it so that it wasn't. It could be programmed in such a way that it deliberately cannot be self aware, by simply making it very powerful at human-like abilities such as problem solving which would make it appear human-like in intelligence, but would not internally 'think' like a human.
    But how can you be certain that a computer with the same learning capabilities as a human would not inevitabely learn to think on a level of self avareness which could match the human brain?

ReputationRep:
    where is the evidence for this though?
    Well, I am just saying that it is the only practically feasable view which will hold in the long run. Ultimately I cannot even know if anyone but me is conscious, this aplies to humans as well as computers. Therefore, if I am to consider a human to be conscious there is little reason why I should not considder a computer of comparable inteligence conscious as well.

ReputationRep:
    I agree that they could, they simply need to be arranged in the correct manner and with the appropriate software.
    Ok, I agree that you could create an extremely powerful computer which would not be conscious, however I still beleive that a sufficently inteligent computer with a learning potential at the same level of a human would inevitabely learn to think on its own.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I am just saying that it is the only practically feasable view which will hold in the long run. Ultimately I cannot even know if anyone but me is conscious, this aplies to humans as well as computers. Therefore, if I am to consider a human to be conscious there is little reason why I should not considder a computer of comparable inteligence conscious as well.
    fair enough - but only a consideration without substantiation - anyway it is an interesting topic - i think ultimately that computers of the same intelligence could not break free from their programmed functions because they are controlled by humans

ReputationRep:
    fair enough - but only a consideration without substantiation - anyway it is an interesting topic - i think ultimately that computers of the same intelligence could not break free from their programmed functions because they are controlled by humans
    So suppose I threw in a couple of dice in themachinery making teh computer act slightly randomly and not just purely deterministicly? Would that give it "free will" ?

ReputationRep:
    Asimov's laws! This does not necessarily hold if we allow a computer to freely reprogram itself.
    ah the man is right - but can we advance technology far enough to allow this - we would be playing God which is a concept which has troubled man for generations

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.