Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

We were perfect together, can we make it work? watch

I was dating this guy for about 6 months. At the beginning I was still using dating sites as we weren't committed and he broke up with me crying after 2 months because he felt insecure because of this. We got back together after 3 weeks and were ecstatically happy, things were going great, we were enjoying each other’s time and he was someone I could be open with. Then we began to argue because he was being non-committal with his time and wasn't willing to compromise with me - one of these arguments was particularly heated and then we were barely speaking or seeing each other due to a big deadline he had at work. This went on for 5 weeks and in the end I told him I was feeling neglected. After this he started to pull away loads and we spoke even less until I forced him to confront the situation. He said he felt like he was responsible for my feelings, didnt feel like he could make me happy and wasn't sure what he wanted and that I could find someone better suited to me because he felt guilty about the amount he was working,

Since then he's tried to text me a few times but I haven't replied. I really miss him and I'm not sure what to do. We were perfect together and for the most part had an amazing time.

ReputationRep:
    So, in your 6 months together, which is a very short period of time in the grand scheme of things, apart from your using dating sites, splitting up for 3 weeks, arguing constantly about spending time with each other, and him ignoring you in favour of work, things were perfect?

Honestly, I don't think things look good for this one. I may be proved wrong, but it sounds like there are some major issues regarding compatibility and priorities on both your parts. Plus your ignoring his texts is hardly going to improve the situation, is it? Realistically, I would chalk this one up to experience and move on, but if you really want to give it another go, you're going to have to have a big discussion at the start about what went wrong last time and how things are going to be different this time - and that's not just him saying he'll spend less time at work.

When I say perfect, I mean in terms of feeling incredibly comfortable in each others company, getting along amazingly well, etc. He said I was perfect for him so many times and I felt the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    When I say perfect, I mean in terms of feeling incredibly comfortable in each others company, getting along amazingly well, etc. He said I was perfect for him so many times and I felt the same.
    This doesn't tally with all the problems you describe. If you really got on that well, you would manage to reach some compromise over work and spending time together and so on. If you still want to make it work, you have to deal with those issues first instead of brushing over them in favour of the "but it's sooooo amazing" feeling - they'll still be there underneath.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 13, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.