Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hiya!

I'm going to be getting dreadlocks at the end of the month, and was just looking for some advice on shampoo/keeping them clean.

I've made many dreadlocks for friends in the past, so know the basic ins and outs of them, and everyone I have done them on has recommended that I use the dreadheadhq dread shampoo, but as a poor student and struggling musician I'm worried about being able to afford the £12+£4 delivery that most online stores charge.

So I'm appealing to the dreadlocked population of TSR - there must be some of you! What do you use to keep your hair clean? Any cheap alternatives? Does the shampoo really have to be residue free? I have done a bit of searching around and have heard that the Lush Squeaky Green shampoo bar works well - has anyone used this on their dreads and have you found it to be good for them? I have also read that bicarb works, is this true and how would you recommend using it?

Thanks in advance!

A note to anyone who feels like posting on here to talk me out of it: I have made my decision, am aware that you do not approve, and don't particularly care, so please don't waste your time telling me why you hate dreads or why I shouldn't get them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HmMusic)
    Hiya!

I'm going to be getting dreadlocks at the end of the month, and was just looking for some advice on shampoo/keeping them clean.

I've made many dreadlocks for friends in the past, so know the basic ins and outs of them, and everyone I have done them on has recommended that I use the dreadheadhq dread shampoo, but as a poor student and struggling musician I'm worried about being able to afford the £12+£4 delivery that most online stores charge.

So I'm appealing to the dreadlocked population of TSR - there must be some of you! What do you use to keep your hair clean? Any cheap alternatives? Does the shampoo really have to be residue free? I have done a bit of searching around and have heard that the Lush Squeaky Green shampoo bar works well - has anyone used this on their dreads and have you found it to be good for them? I have also read that bicarb works, is this true and how would you recommend using it?

Thanks in advance!

A note to anyone who feels like posting on here to talk me out of it: I have made my decision, am aware that you do not approve, and don't particularly care, so please don't waste your time telling me why you hate dreads or why I shouldn't get them.
    A few of my college friends had dreads and they used lemon juice, they knew about the special shampoo but thought it was way too expensive.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Billton)
    A few of my college friends had dreads and they used lemon juice, they knew about the special shampoo but thought it was way too expensive.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've not heard that one before, I'll have to look into it. Wouldn't it just make your hair sort of... Sticky? Haha. Cheers for the reply!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't have dreads myself but i've heard about apple cider vinegar being a good replacement for shampoo from personal research, you might want to look up some information about it and see if it will help.

ReputationRep:
    My college friends used clarifying shampoo - cheapest brand naturally, but as long as it specifically said clarifying or cleansing, they said it was the best thing to use monthly. Otherwise, lemon juice (squeezy lemon bottle or fresh lemon juice in a bottle) whenever they felt that their dreads needed freshening up.

Can't talk from experience though (too much work to keep them looking good and I'm... well, lazy).

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.