The Student Room Group

English Lit B-17th May exam

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by souyasmin
Thank you!
Lamia, La belle dame sans Merci and The Eve of St Agnes.
Lamia is probably the worst, can not seem to understand it :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is one of my paragraphs from a previous essay:

Keats within his ballad, La belle dame sans merci, employs a plenitude of narrative techniques to develop a profile of the lady. Keats manipulates the heterodiegetic narrator to convey the character of the lady; she is introduced as “a faery’s child”, the noun ‘faery’ has mythical connotations of beauty and fragility. The fragility of the lady is emphasized through the dominance of the knight, “I met”, “I set” and “I made”, these strong verbs convey how the knight is in control of events. However there is an alteration in power as the lady begins to garner influence over the knight with her “faery’s song”, this ‘song’ characterizes the lady as a temptress who is bewitching the knight, adding a dark undertone to the poem. The dominance of the lady is exhibited via the structure of the poem; stanzas 7 and 8 are initiated by the actions of the lady as “she found” and “she took”. The supernatural quality of the lady is highlighted towards the climax of the allegorical ballad; her “wild wild eyes” possess a feral quality that accentuates the sinister and threatening tone of the poem, Also the last line in each stanza is lacking a syllable evincing that the lady is withholding her true nature from the knight manifesting her deceptive and illusory image of an innocent woman. The lady bewitches the knight, she “lull[s] him into the passivity of sleep, “and there I dreamed-Ah! woe betide!-”. The fragmented structure of the sentence and the caesura accents the damage that the lady has done to the knight’s life and his broken heart. Hence Keats uses a variety of techniques including structure, form and voice to characterize the lady within “la belle dame san merci”.
Reply 21
Original post by simplysparky
I'm doing Gatsby section A.

Any help? :frown:

yep what do you need help on, any particular chapter? btw i dunno if the people doing gatsby noticed but the movie is coming out on the day of our exam woooh lol.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by Zarah01
btw are you doing gatsby section A?

ummm have you got any A grade answers or model answers for section B that youve practised, also has your teacher for section A question a literally just told you to write about narrative perspective,structure,setting, form and language??

and nope ancient mariner is so much easier for me as its shorter and i've done loads of practice essays for it!
also how are you revising for the exam because other than practice essays i have no clue :s
Original post by Zarah01
yep what do you need help on, any particular chapter? btw i dunno if the people doing gatsby noticed but the movie is coming out on the day of our exam woooh lol.

Well, 'allegedly' chapter 6 is most likely to come up. Do you have anything for language/form/structure for it please?

That's the only thing getting me through my exams! Straight after the exam, we're going to the cinemas to watch it. Well deserved reward :wink:
Reply 24
ohhh i thought you were doing tennyson for section b because thats the criteria for a section b questionn, section A is just narratology no?
Reply 25
Wow you have a really good writing technique! Any tips on revision for poetry?
I'm also doing Christina Rossetti, The Kite Runner and Gatsby (can't wait for the film) :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
Original post by simplysparky
Well, 'allegedly' chapter 6 is most likely to come up. Do you have anything for language/form/structure for it please?

That's the only thing getting me through my exams! Straight after the exam, we're going to the cinemas to watch it. Well deserved reward :wink:

ooooh i heard about chapter 6 being likely to come up tooo, i havent done it yet, i was meantt to do my essay on it today. For section A imma do an intro, and then a paragraph each on narrative voice, symbolism and setting. this is a rough guideline.

Setting: Gatsby's home --> representative of the extravagant wealth of his 'New Money' , his house gives him status however even then he is not accepted by society as he does not have 'old money', emphasizes the hierarchy within american society. The quote im probably going to use for that is when Tom says "My God, i believe the man's coming." and just analyse the language a bit.

Symbolism: "He broke off and began to walk up and down the desolate path of fruit rinds and discarded favours and crushed flowers". The "crushed flowers" are significant as they symbolize gatsbys relationship with daisy, you can also link Daisys name to the word 'flowers'. You can refer to the structure of the sentence which has enjambment so there is a lack of caesura suggesting gatsby believes that their relationship still exists, this contrasts against the verbs "discarded" and "crushed" that have a negative stigma amd connote that their relationship is damaged.

Narrative Voice: homodiegetic narrator manipulates dialogue to characterize gatsby. gatsby has a inability to distinguish between past and present, " Can't repeat the past?" he cried incredulously. Why of course you can!". Gatsby is living in the past, due to this, his perception of the present is distorted, the Daisy that he loved is an illusion as she no longer exists as time has moved on. " as if past were lurking here in the shadow of his house, just out of reach of his hand". Gatsby belief that the past can be repeated emphasizes his confused concept of time and his intense desire for Daisy. "just out of reach of his hand" foreshadows Gatsby's failure to attain his american dream and highlights how the past can not be attained in the present.
This is just a mish mash of ideas right now, ill do one properly and put it up tomorrow.
I cant watch the movie untill ive done all my exams :'(
Reply 27
Wow you have a really good writing technique! Any tips on revision for poetry?
I'm also doing Christina Rossetti, The Kite Runner and Gatsby (can't wait for the film) :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks you very much :smile:
What im doing is just pulling out the form structure and voice for each poem and then incorporating it in my essay. Other than, im just doing past papers and bothering my teachers to mark my work , i think for them friday cant get here soon enough lol.
Reply 28
Original post by Zarah01

doing gatsby for section a as well... SO excited for the film, it looks amazing! I think the casting was perfect :smile: can't wait!
Reply 29
Original post by _hail
doing gatsby for section a as well... SO excited for the film, it looks amazing! I think the casting was perfect :smile: can't wait!

Same! im sad that i have to wait for a month before i can watch it though, DAMN YOU EXAMS :frown:
Reply 30
Have you put the got the CGP revision gide

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
Original post by Zarah01
Same! im sad that i have to wait for a month before i can watch it though, DAMN YOU EXAMS :frown:

haha my english class were talking about going as a group on thursday (coincidentally, the day before my c2 maths exam... but... oh well :biggrin:) i know it wasn't deliberate but it was still a genius move from the film people to release it now! i bet the cinema will be packed with english students just whispering the lines under their breath because they've been forced to learn the book inside out
Reply 32
No problem!
And oh right.. Well I wish you all the luck and Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
Original post by _hail
haha my english class were talking about going as a group on thursday (coincidentally, the day before my c2 maths exam... but... oh well :biggrin:) i know it wasn't deliberate but it was still a genius move from the film people to release it now! i bet the cinema will be packed with english students just whispering the lines under their breath because they've been forced to learn the book inside out

Hahahaha, I've got C2 too! :frown: they should done it earlier cos then we could have gone to see it as part of an "educational trip" with school, that would've been fun but alas they decided to release on the first day of my exams, sad times, and are you doing S1 on friday too?
the great gatsby has pretty much become my favourite book, blown all the other books i like outta the water, hahhaha if only i could be there whispering along tooo, :frown:
Reply 34
Original post by MightyJoeD
Have you put the got the CGP revision gide

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nopee i didnt get the CGP revision guide because apparently it wasn't that helpful? I dunno but i got the York Notes Revision guide which is ok, its got good help for the exam though.
Reply 35
No problem!
And oh right.. Well I wish you all the luck and Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ooops i forgot eve of st agnes and lamia stuff :/, do you still need some content?
Reply 36
Original post by Zarah01
Hahahaha, I've got C2 too! :frown: they should done it earlier cos then we could have gone to see it as part of an "educational trip" with school, that would've been fun but alas they decided to release on the first day of my exams, sad times, and are you doing S1 on friday too?
the great gatsby has pretty much become my favourite book, blown all the other books i like outta the water, hahhaha if only i could be there whispering along tooo, :frown:

yep I have s1 in the morning! in fact im sitting here trying to motivate myself to do another s1 past paper right now. :/ did you do c1 early then?
i love love love the great gatsby, but i never knew i was capable of hating a fictional character as much as i hate daisy >:frown: she needs to get herself together, i would marry gatsby in a second :wink:
Reply 37
Yeah please if you have any, esp for Lamia -.-

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zarah01
ooooh i heard about chapter 6 being likely to come up tooo, i havent done it yet, i was meantt to do my essay on it today. For section A imma do an intro, and then a paragraph each on narrative voice, symbolism and setting. this is a rough guideline.

Setting: Gatsby's home --> representative of the extravagant wealth of his 'New Money' , his house gives him status however even then he is not accepted by society as he does not have 'old money', emphasizes the hierarchy within american society. The quote im probably going to use for that is when Tom says "My God, i believe the man's coming." and just analyse the language a bit.

Symbolism: "He broke off and began to walk up and down the desolate path of fruit rinds and discarded favours and crushed flowers". The "crushed flowers" are significant as they symbolize gatsbys relationship with daisy, you can also link Daisys name to the word 'flowers'. You can refer to the structure of the sentence which has enjambment so there is a lack of caesura suggesting gatsby believes that their relationship still exists, this contrasts against the verbs "discarded" and "crushed" that have a negative stigma amd connote that their relationship is damaged.

Narrative Voice: homodiegetic narrator manipulates dialogue to characterize gatsby. gatsby has a inability to distinguish between past and present, " Can't repeat the past?" he cried incredulously. Why of course you can!". Gatsby is living in the past, due to this, his perception of the present is distorted, the Daisy that he loved is an illusion as she no longer exists as time has moved on. " as if past were lurking here in the shadow of his house, just out of reach of his hand". Gatsby belief that the past can be repeated emphasizes his confused concept of time and his intense desire for Daisy. "just out of reach of his hand" foreshadows Gatsby's failure to attain his american dream and highlights how the past can not be attained in the present.
This is just a mish mash of ideas right now, ill do one properly and put it up tomorrow.
I cant watch the movie untill ive done all my exams :'(

Careful now, Gatsby was able to attain the american dream but he couldnt fulfil his own dream of having Daisy as his wife. There's a distinction there. He dies a lonely soul, and because of that, Fitzgerald disillusions the reader to how empty and materialistic the american dream actually is. The closing message that I take away from the text is that whilst Gatsby had it all, he did in fact have nothing, which is somewhat alluded to when he dies.

Other then that, excellent points and I particularly really liked the symbolism paragraph :smile:
I wish I was doing The Kite Runner its my favourite book EVER! :/ I'm doing Gatsby, Enduring Love, Tennyson & Browning.
If you haven't already, sparknotes is pretty good and grade saver for the more modern texts.
I'm dreaaaading this exam :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending