The Student Room Group

English Lit B-17th May exam

Scroll to see replies

Original post by edsjay23
Thank you for your quick reply. Do you know what the lowest mark on the paper could be to get maximum UMS (A) in for the exam?

Sorry, I really don't know. To get 100% UMS I would speculate that maybe 60-65/84 would get you it. Depends how hard they deem the exam. :smile:
Reply 61
Original post by _hail
yeah i would agree with you, isn't the american dream all about a classless society and equality and people working hard and honestly... which gatsby isn't able to achieve because actually america is still class-ridden and he has to resort to criminality to even get his money?
anyway the examiners loveee alternative interpretations so i think we're all covered :smile:

yayayah definately, all open to interpretation :smile:
Reply 62
I got 60/60 in my coursework pieces and hoping to get an A in the exam on Friday, so I guess I could help anyone that needed help! :smile:

I'm doing Gatsby, Kite Runner, Rime of the Ancient Mariner and Rossetti's poetry.
Original post by dsfdsfdsf
Sorry, I really don't know. To get 100% UMS I would speculate that maybe 60-65/84 would get you it. Depends how hard they deem the exam. :smile:

np thank you for your reply :smile:
Reply 64
Heyy can anyone help me? I'm doing this exam on the kite runner, the great gatsby, auden and rossetti poems and I think I'm going to fail :O The teachers haven't been much help and I don't feel like we've gone over anything properly at all... :/ can anyone help? This is the exam I'm most worried about and it's in 2 days... :frown:
Original post by Zarah01
Sorry! hahha i agree, i find your interpretation interesting, the closing message to me was that humanity is defined by its capacity to dream even when failure seems likely.

Ooh I love your interpretation :biggrin: I can definitely relate to that. Just for AO3 though, I think it seems likely to the reader that Gatsby will fail in his endeavour to get Daisy. That's achieved by Fitzgerald choosing to dilute his narrative through the eyes of what is arguably an unreliable narrator, Nick. I think the text would read differently if it didn't have such an opinionated narrator, and it is because of that, that we gain a good understanding of other characters - specifically Daisys complicated relationship with Tom which proves central to the foreshadowing of Gatsbys failure/demise. I reckon Gatsby genuinely believed that he would be able to have Daisy as his wife once he attained the american dream; reduced to its bare minimum, wealth.
Reply 66
Original post by SharminaSyeda
Your answer was SO good though! Whenever I talk about symbolism, I always refer to the green light and how that represents Gatsby as his character which in turn represents american dream that sort of thing :P

For structure i either analyse a sentence and talk about whether its fragmented, concise, has enjambement etc and why this is important OR i find an important part and say why its structured in the middle, beginning or end or if its chronological in structure or not
Soo chapter 6
id probably talk about the the lack of chronology in tense as we move from the present in the beginning of the chapter to the past in the end of the chapter. The ending of a chapter leaves a lasting impression, since we're left with gatsbys relationship with daisy perhaps it suggests that Gatsbys past overrides the present.
again ill put something up tomorrow with structure on it
Reply 67
Original post by cjwalker
I got 60/60 in my coursework pieces and hoping to get an A in the exam on Friday, so I guess I could help anyone that needed help! :smile:I'm doing Gatsby, Kite Runner, Rime of the Ancient Mariner and Rossetti's poetry.
I'm doing gatsby, kite runner and rossetti too! Could you help me please? I don't feel ready at all D:
Reply 68
Original post by LillyLisa
I'm doing gatsby, kite runner and rossetti too! Could you help me please? I don't feel ready at all D:

Yeh of course, just ask whatever you want!
Reply 69
Heyy can anyone help me? I'm doing this exam on the kite runner, the great gatsby, auden and rossetti poems and I think I'm going to fail :O The teachers haven't been much help and I don't feel like we've gone over anything properly at all... :/ can anyone help? This is the exam I'm most worried about and it's in 2 days... :frown:

I'm also doing Rossetti and Auden.... There are excellent websites online, I'll give you a link in a bit when I find it:smile:
Reply 70
I got 60/60 in my coursework pieces and hoping to get an A in the exam on Friday, so I guess I could help anyone that needed help! :smile:

I'm doing Gatsby, Kite Runner, Rime of the Ancient Mariner and Rossetti's poetry.

Any help for me? Only doing Rossetti out of your texts though:colondollar:

And I am doing exactly those texts too. English Literature ruined my love for the Kite Runner :/
Reply 72
Original post by cheetahs56
Any help for me? Only doing Rossetti out of your texts though:colondollar:

Haha of course, just ask anything :smile:
Reply 73
Original post by cheetahs56
I'm also doing Rossetti and Auden.... There are excellent websites online, I'll give you a link in a bit when I find it:smile:
Thank you!!
Reply 74
How is everybody revising for section B?
Reply 75
Yeh of course, just ask whatever you want!
I just want to know how to revise and what I should be focusing on
You know I still haven't finished reading Great Gatsby? Though I am not so worried about my English lit exam as opposed to my other exams *le gasp*

We're doing:
Great Gatsby
Kite Runner
Auden
Frost.
Reply 77
Was he able to attain the American Dream though? Essentially Daisy is symbolically representative of Gatsby's American Dream, and in Chapter 5 onwards it becomes pretty unattainable because of the fact that Gatsby realises that the reality of Daisy isn't as good as the strive and journey towards her.. soz geek moment hahaha

He was able to attain the universal american dream which was wealth, Daisy is representative of Gatsby personal american dream, and sorry but i believe that it only become unattainable to him after chapter 5, to the reader perhaps, but gatsby only realises the futility and worthlessness of his dream as he is dying.Love gatsby :smile:
Reply 78
Original post by simplysparky
And I am doing exactly those texts too. English Literature ruined my love for the Kite Runner :/
how come?
Reply 79
Original post by Arissa
Hi guys, I need some help figuring out what mark I need to get in the exam to get an A!
So overall in both my coursework pieces combined I got 52/60 which I think is Band 6/5! I want to get an A overall this year, so what kind of grade do you think I'll need to get in the exam?

Also is there anyone studying The Kite Runner/The Rime of The Ancient Mariner and the Browning poems? I need A LOT of help with them texts.
:smile:

i got 52 too! And im doing browning and the kite runner, i know like nothing about the kite runner though :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending