Are you a spender or a saver? watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Spender or saver?
    Spender
    24.39%
    Saver
    75.61%

ReputationRep:
    When you receive your latest pay-check do you spend it quickly, or do you prefer to save?

Me, these are just examples:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I don't have a job or very regular income, but whenever I receive money, I am a bit of a hoarder and don't spend anything unless I have to. If there's something important to buy (like a coat or new pair of shoes) my parents either buy it, or I don't mind spending a lot to make sure it's good quality.

There are certain things I don't see as good value for money. These include things like holidays abroad. They're short term and after the two weeks are over, it's back to normality. I'd much rather have a nice house (long term investment) as you can get a large return when you sell it.

I'm never short on money, but I would rather stay at home and still have fun than go out clubbing. People think I'm being stingy, it's just the way I am! I suppose I have a bit of an attitude where I don't see certain things as "worth" buying or just a waste.

My attitude above has been bolded, so you can see the principles I have when it comes to money.

So how about TSR? I'll add a poll to see what the general trend is like.

ReputationRep:
    Saver. I'm not feckless and like to be responsible for my own actions. Too many broke people blaming everyone but themselves for their situation.

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to save my money but I often run out before my next paycheck since I get paid monthly and have to dish out large portions of my wage on necessary items that break or a long term replacement. I just bought an electric shaver for around 40 quid to save me money in the long run as I'm constantly spending money on disposable ones. I'm now in need of a new pair of shoes though I don't really want to spend the money, I'd like to save it.

ReputationRep:
    I can't save to save my life.

How ironic.

In other words, don't trust me to bail you out, or pay the ransom fee for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude Where's My Username)
    Saver. I'm not feckless and like to be responsible for my own actions. Too many broke people blaming everyone but themselves for their situation.
    This.

ReputationRep:
    I'm definitely a saver, I get so annoyed at people complaining they're poor and have no money whilst they sit there on their brand new iphone with a Starbucks and slice of cake in the other hand. :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    Saver. Houses arent cheap!!

ReputationRep:
    i go through phases... i like to have lots of money saved but it all eventualy gets spent, i mean lea ving it in a bank to sit their and shrink isnt good for it is it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    I'm definitely a saver, I get so annoyed at people complaining they're poor and have no money whilst they sit there on their brand new iphone with a Starbucks and slice of cake in the other hand. :laugh:
    I couldn't agree more!
    Most of my friends complain that they never have the money to do the things I do - go to concerts/shows/gigs, travel, weekends away and 'once in a lifetime' experiences BUT they always manage to find money to go clubbing EVERY Fri/Sat and have on average 14059373 coffee's a week .. I work damn hard to save my money so I can spend it on things I consider more 'important' or 'exciting'

ReputationRep:
    Most definitely a saver, I'm always trying to find ways to make more money, e.g. bank accounts which offer better interest rates, etc.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely a saver

ReputationRep:
    Saver as demonstrated by my backward technology :sad:

ReputationRep:
    I like to save, but in practice I'm awfully prone to impulse buys.

ReputationRep:
    Saver. In fact i think i save too much. I'll die a millionaire! LOL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iron Lady)
    When you receive your latest pay-check do you spend it quickly, or do you prefer to save?

Me, these are just examples:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I don't have a job or very regular income, but whenever I receive money, I am a bit of a hoarder and don't spend anything unless I have to. If there's something important to buy (like a coat or new pair of shoes) my parents either buy it, or I don't mind spending a lot to make sure it's good quality.

There are certain things I don't see as good value for money. These include things like holidays abroad. They're short term and after the two weeks are over, it's back to normality. I'd much rather have a nice house (long term investment) as you can get a large return when you sell it.

I'm never short on money, but I would rather stay at home and still have fun than go out clubbing. People think I'm being stingy, it's just the way I am! I suppose I have a bit of an attitude where I don't see certain things as "worth" buying or just a waste.

My attitude above has been bolded, so you can see the principles I have when it comes to money.

So how about TSR? I'll add a poll to see what the general trend is like.
    When I was a teenager I thought that holidays abroad were a waste of money that could be spent elsewhere, until I realized that actually the memories were incredibly priceless and I wouldn't swap them for anything. I haven't travelled far, but I've been to Paris and Amsterdam, and am going to Lanzarote next week. Not very many places however they were worth the money because I had such amazing experiences. Also I think once you've worked full time you really need that break from real life. I didn't go anywhere last year and it just feels like all I really did was work but I spent money on other things instead, but nothing compares to that short break away from real life! Totally agree with you on the clubbing thing though. I hate buying alcohol (other than the occasional bottle of rose) especially on a night out I just think its such a waste of money argggh haha

ReputationRep:
    Saver. However I do this so I can go on holidays and travel, I think everyone should see the world and that when you're 50 looking back on all the adventures you had when you were young will be better than saying I had an iPad. Depends upon what the individual values.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hollywoodbudgie)
    Saver as demonstrated by my backward technology :sad:
    I'm a saver, I Always looks for the best deals and never buy things I don't need

but... I'm into technology, and I always get a new phone every year because my phone is with me 24/7 so I can justify the cost of it (and all the things smartphones do these days) but I don't buy a new TVs, or a new laptop every year just because

ReputationRep:
    The 'Big Spenders' are out spending (read: living their lives).. TSR ain't no place for their kind! :ahee:

Spoiler:
    Show
    Yes, I'm a prolific saver

ReputationRep:
    I like to put aside money and save that for things like holidays and future investments etc.. but spend on essentials like food/basic toiletries and necessary clothes(even when I buy these I like to save money,shopping online for clothes,buying in charity shops/sales. Any little extras like books I've now bought on a kindle fire or from charity shops(the kindle was bought for me)

I get a weird satisfaction from having money kept back so I know its there if I were to need it..although I have cracked occasionally and spent money on something outwith my budget.

Hm.

ReputationRep:
    I want to save, but everytime I see something interesting I want to buy and think "Ooh, I want that!" and it escalates from there.

When I was a kid, I used to break my piggy-bank after two days and spend it.

Money controls me.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.