Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Mentioned a 'mate' in a Tweet last night, and they asked me to delete the Tweet and then write it again without their name in it.

:mad:

Do I have a right to be offended? Or am I reading too much into it?

ReputationRep:
    I personally see where they're coming from because the only thing I have online which identifies me by my name is online job sites e.g. Monster.
    I don't use social media like Facebook or Twitter. I wouldn't like the idea of my name being on there because it's just how I personally feel about having my name on the internet like that
    You don't mention what the tweet was about - was it something they might not want family or friends to see?
    I think it is best to respect their choice and remove their name from the post
    Please don't take it personally they are likely to have their reasons for why they are asking this of you

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you should be offended, but at the same time everybody has the right to speak their mind.

We all have voices for a reason.

Sometimes I think I can't please everybody, so why try to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlahBlaBlahBla)
    I personally see where they're coming from because the only thing I have online which identifies me by my name is online job sites e.g. Monster.
    I don't use social media like Facebook or Twitter. I wouldn't like the idea of my name being on there because it's just how I personally feel about having my name on the internet like that
    You don't mention what the tweet was about - was it something they might not want family or friends to see?
    I think it is best to respect their choice and remove their name from the post
    Please don't take it personally they are likely to have their reasons for why they are asking this of you
    One of my mates said she had been sleeping with lots of boys (which I thought was Tweet-worthy). I guess she might not have wanted her friends to see what she had said, even if it had been a joke on her part, anyway.

However, if she had not responded, nobody would have seen the conversation anyway. We don't have the same collection of friends, and 'mentions' only show up to the person mentioned.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel)
    One of my mates said she had been sleeping with lots of boys (which I thought was Tweet-worthy). I guess she might not have wanted her friends to see what she had said, even if it had been a joke on her part, anyway.

However, if she had not responded, nobody would have seen the conversation anyway. We don't have the same collection of friends, and 'mentions' only show up to the person mentioned.
    OK well I see how you feel that she should have just let it lie but I can see why she wouldn't want something like that being posted regardless
    Maybe knowing it was about her was enough for her to realise she didn't want that being online like that
    Have you removed her name or not? Just out of interest :hat2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlahBlaBlahBla)
    OK well I see how you feel that she should have just let it lie but I can see why she wouldn't want something like that being posted regardless
    Maybe knowing it was about her was enough for her to realise she didn't want that being online like that
    Have you removed her name or not? Just out of interest :hat2:
    Yes, I did in the end. Why create an atmosphere?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.