Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I basically don't have friends having this particular subject so it would be very helpful if anyone helps me out. I wanted to know whether it is possible to complete A level, both AS and A2 that is, within one year by attending it in January and May? How difficult is it? My school doesn't offer this subject as well. Do you think I will be able to study it by myself and acquire a (minimum) A grade? Please help. Cheers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    January exams have been scrapped so you'd have to do 4 units in the space of a month (more or less). Personally i think it would be difficult, there's an awful lot to take in to really maximise your potential result but people have screwed up in january and ended up with a decent grade.

ReputationRep:
    That means I'll have to attend the 4 units in May alone?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No, you'd have units 1 and 2 in may and units 2 and 4 in june. This year however they've been put forward, so that would mean 4 units in the space of a month or so.

It changes every year, but maybe they've now decided to put A2 exams earlier than before.

ReputationRep:
    If you're considering taking other subjects I would strongly say no. There is a lot to learn in the syllabus and much of it is complicated and quite expansive.

It's tricky self teaching yourself unit 3/4 alone, let alone throwing unit 1 and 2 in the same year. I mean you might be fine doing them all in 1 year self taught, although I'm sure most could not.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've taught myself the full A Level this year and whilst I have been lucky that I was able to do the AS in January I don't think that it would be difficult to take all four exams in the summer. Whilst it can be a lot to get your head round, if you use the textbook with revision guides and in my opinion Heywood's Political Ideologies introduction it IS achievable.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How would you take it, if your school doesn't offer it? Like where would you do the exam? I think it would be difficult though, as you have to take all that in!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your opinions. :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Exam centres are all over the country, some schools are exam centres as are colleges and independent centres. You pay a sum to them to do the exam (+admin costs) then show up on the day. My 3 exams, all self taught, (the two of A2 politics and 1 of A2 history) are being undertaken at exam centres: two at my previous school and one at an independent exam centre.

I'm not saying it would be an easy option, don't get me wrong. It takes a lot of commitment and self motivation to do self teaching at all! Yet the results are twice as satisfying :top:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How many months would take to complete the course of Edexcel Government and Politics approximately? Is there still the option to attend AS in January and A2 in may?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Ucan'tseeme;42814745]How many months would take to complete the course of Edexcel Government and Politics approximately? Is there still the option to attend AS in January and A2 in may?

I'd say 6 months roughly however I've done it in less but you may need more. It depends on how quickly you learn and also what things you're doing aside from the course. There are so many factors.

No, you can no longer take any exams in January. You'll have to do them all in May/June (usually late May for AS and early June for A2).

ReputationRep:
    This was really helpful. Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Could anyone suggest me the name of the best/necessary book/books for this subject?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ucan'tseeme)
    Could anyone suggest me the name of the best/necessary book/books for this subject?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Top book to get would be Andrew Heywood's Political Ideologies: An Introduction.

Secondly, Neil McNaughton's two Edexcel textbooks for AS and A2 Government and Politics.

Third I would personally get the revision guides published by Phillip Alan.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much. That helped me a lot!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.