Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do Our Rulers Have Our Interests At Heart? Watch

• View Poll Results: Do Those in Power Have Our Interests At Heart?
    Yes
    22.22%
    No
    77.78%

ReputationRep:
    Here is a question for you to answer. The answer can enlighten yourself, it is of little use to me, however I do enjoy discussing and sharing perceptions of the world.

Do you believe that the politicians who are in power over the rest of the population have our interests at heart?

If you answer yes, then this is the follow up question:

Why do you believe this is the case?

And finally

Prove, demonstrate the reason and logic, and most importantly: Truth and Factual evidence that supports your belief.

No.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by g_star_raw_1989)
    No.
    Would you care to disclose your reason in coming to the conclusion that our leaders do not have our (the population as a whole) interests at heart?

ReputationRep:
    No. There is very little impersonal in the political lives of politicians.

ReputationRep:
    They think they do. But they don't.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    More yes than no. I don't believe they always have our interests at heart but in many cases they do. If they did't then surely we would have rampant corruption? I'm not saying the system is squeaky clean but compared to other nations in the world politics is not simply a way to get crazy rich crazy fast.

ReputationRep:
    I honestly thought that this was going to be a post about straight line drawing devices

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    they have their own interests and those of the people who fund them at heart...

ReputationRep:
    I am going to be brave and say 'Yes'.

ReputationRep:
    I would argue that if they didn't have our best interests at heart, the population would be unlikely to elect them.

However, they may still be incompetent.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure some do. But the majority don't.

Although it could be argued caring about your country also means caring about the British people.

ReputationRep:
    No they do not. They could not possibly have our interest at heart. If they do , ,then they must be extremely condescending. They do not have our interest at heart because they aggress against us every day forcing their opinions and political policies on us and implementing them with our money that they steal from us in the name of the immoral, senseless concept called tax. If they had our interest at heart there will be no need to forcefully take our money. Force is only used when one part of a relationship will be worse off. And if they do have our interest at heart then they are condescending bigots who disregarding our opinion and believe that they in their omniscience know how our lives should be run and again forcefully taking our money to implement there opinions. This blatant disregard for rudimentary morality and aggression on the part of politicians proves undoubtedly that they do not have our interest at heart.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yes. The problem is that are vulnerable to corruption just like any other person. And that they don't understand the economy or society.

ReputationRep:
    It depends how much you put towards their campaign costs, slip them on the side or promise them in the future.

ReputationRep:
    It would be unfair to those few who care more about us than themselves, but it would be unfair to ourselves if we foolishly think that the majority of politicians isn't addicted to power.

ReputationRep:
    Some do, but hardly any. Most of them just lie and do anything to get reelected

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    More yes than no. I don't believe they always have our interests at heart but in many cases they do. If they did't then surely we would have rampant corruption?
    Just playing the devil's advocate here, but how do we know they aren't corrupt? And, even if they aren't, couldn't it just be a case of not being able to get away with corruption? In other words, if they are found out in the public eye, they risk losing everything.

I'm not saying the system is squeaky clean but compared to other nations in the world politics is not simply a way to get crazy rich crazy fast.
    Power and reputation can be more alluring than money, no?

ReputationRep:
    First of all, people vote for politicians based on what they say their going to do. Their opinions aren't "forced" on people.

Second of all, taxes go towards funding the NHS, schools and fixing roads. What part of this is evil?

ReputationRep:
    No lol.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who thinks they do is naive and small minded.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.