Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm at QMUL in my 2nd year and I recently submitted an essay worth 80% of a German module. Because of personal issues and (stupidly) constantly restructuring what I was writing, I managed to get it in on time but way under the word count (3000 words limit, 10% under would be 2700 - mine was 2300).
    I was wondering if anybody (at QMUL or elsewhere) has done something similar before and what happened when you got it back? I can't stop worrying about failing the class now, because I don't know how essays under the word limit are marked (if anybody could shed some light on that too, that'd be awesome).
    Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    You could ask your tutor and explain the reasons why you were under the word limit?

Remember, quality over quantity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpaceCaptain)
    I'm at QMUL in my 2nd year and I recently submitted an essay worth 80% of a German module. Because of personal issues and (stupidly) constantly restructuring what I was writing, I managed to get it in on time but way under the word count (3000 words limit, 10% under would be 2700 - mine was 2300).
    I was wondering if anybody (at QMUL or elsewhere) has done something similar before and what happened when you got it back? I can't stop worrying about failing the class now, because I don't know how essays under the word limit are marked (if anybody could shed some light on that too, that'd be awesome).
    Thanks in advance!
    At my university, you lose 1% for every 100 words you are over or under the word limit. So if an essay had to be 3000 words, then you have to write between 2900-3100. I don't think you will fail the class but you will be penalised.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.