Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How can my mum cheaply call me from her mobile while I am in Canada? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am really stuck on this, my mum isn't great with skype and as her health isn't great I'd like a way for her to be able to just ring me whenever she wants.

Is it better for me to get an international SIM once I am there or stay on my Vodafone UK SIM in Canada, and is there a calling card or an online account I can set up that she can dial into?

I am a bit confused as have never had to do this before.

Thanks so much for your help.

ReputationRep:
    Not too sure about Internation SIM's, you'd be better ringing up Orange or whoever your network provider is and speaking about it with them.

As for Skype, is there anyone over there who could help her set it up? You said about her health, does she have a carer or anyone looking after her? Maybe they could help.

Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried viber?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for both your suggestions. I will certainly set her up on Skype before I go and try Viber.

Also, if there is a way that I can call home easily then it doesn't really matter as she could just prank/text me to call her?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by caseyhayes)
    Thanks for both your suggestions. I will certainly set her up on Skype before I go and try Viber.

Also, if there is a way that I can call home easily then it doesn't really matter as she could just prank/text me to call her?
    The other two are right, the easiest way would be to teach your mum how to use Skype. If you're her only contact on it, then it'll be really quite easy to use. Point it out step by step, it should be alright. If not, then she can miss-call you (you're right) and you can call her back on Skype using Skype credit to call her home/mobile if it's not urgent.

ReputationRep:

Not sure what you mean but you can add phone numbers to Skype provided they have have some kind of 'smart' functionality. So if your mum has an iPhone or something like that, if you get the Skype app, I believe you can call the mobile directly without (I think) incurring any costs.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks again.

What do people think to something like this?

http://www.rebtel.com/en/landing/Wel...FRLLtAod13wA3A

ReputationRep:
    Thanks again.

What do people think to something like this?

http://www.rebtel.com/en/landing/Wel...FRLLtAod13wA3A
    Never heard of them myself but maybe others have. The problem with companies not as well known is that you may incur hidden charges or they may begin to harass you or your mum with adverts or other products. Then again, the company could be completely trustworthy in which case this is a fine alternative.

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

Stumbled upon this thread while doing a little research.

We have no adverts or hidden charges, and we won't spam you with annyoing emails

If you would like some more info about Rebtel, feel free to mail me on [email protected] or write your questions here and i'll be happy to answer them!

Best,

Dennis, Online Community Manager @Rebtel

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.