Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

In September I'm going to start my AS levels. I have chosen: Maths, Further Maths and Computing for AS and Japanese which is a non a level. In the second year I would do the same subjects at A2 and continue Japanese (it's a beginners course in the first year and a GCSE in the second). Do you think this is good enough to get into a respected uni like Bristol or A US/Canada/Japan one? I was thinking of doing Economics as a fourth AS and then dropping it for A2, as everyone keeps telling me I should do 4 as's. But would 4 as's and a non a level subject be too heavy a workload? In addition to this, we have to do General Studies AS and A2 as well so 6 if you're counting that.

Any help is appreciated, thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spanielears)
    Hello,

In September I'm going to start my AS levels. I have chosen: Maths, Further Maths and Computing for AS and Japanese which is a non a level. In the second year I would do the same subjects at A2 and continue Japanese (it's a beginners course in the first year and a GCSE in the second). Do you think this is good enough to get into a respected uni like Bristol or A US/Canada/Japan one? I was thinking of doing Economics as a fourth AS and then dropping it for A2, as everyone keeps telling me I should do 4 as's. But would 4 as's and a non a level subject be too heavy a workload? In addition to this, we have to do General Studies AS and A2 as well so 6 if you're counting that.

Any help is appreciated, thanks
    The subjects you've chosen look great.

It will be a heavy work load but only you know whether or not you'll be able to cope with it. If you organize your time well then you should be fine - I know people who have done 6 and 7 A levels and they got through it (but it was hard). If you are prepared to do it then you can do it.

ReputationRep:
    But do you think doing just 3 as will be enough?

ReputationRep:
    3 A Levels is all you need for a British university, I am unsure what Canadian, American and Japanese universities want. I think it's best you check the grades asked for British students on an equivalent grades section from some Canadian, American and Japanese universities to give you an idea and go from there Usually it's just 3 A Levels but really good grades in each A Level.

ReputationRep:
    Technically, 3 A2s is all you need. However, I would probably recommend doing a 4th AS for several reasons

- Some universities probably will expect to see 4 AS subjects
    - Some universities might prefer to see 4 A2 subjects if two of them are maths (I know at my school if you did Maths + FM you were expected to keep doing 4 A2s)
    - It will keep your options more open

What subject do you want to do at uni?

ReputationRep:
    It depends on how much work you're willing to put in and which course you want to do at uni. Quite a number of courses want 4AS subjects and 3A2.
    Your Japanese should be done in spare time as it only equates to a GCSE in the end - I'm not saying it isn't respected (because languages are definitely respected) but you're better off doing 4AS subjects. As for General Studies/Critical Thinking most people don't bother with it because it's not accepted at most unis - the unis will only look at it if you are only just below their target grades depending on the course.

I'm doing 6AS subjects next year (including General Studies because it's compulsory at my school)

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing computing next year, I can't do Japanese in free time as it takes up the timetable of an option

ReputationRep:
    Doing an additional AS would be the safest choice. Most universities make offers based on 3 A levels but the "norm" is to have 4 AS subjects excluding general studies and critical thinking. If you get 3 A grades at AS this will look less impressive than the candidates with AAAA, AAAB or AAAC as they have managed a larger work load and still maintained the grades. You don't say what subject you want to study at uni and while you have chosen strong subjects, they are very narrow. Adding Economics (or another "academic" subject) would show a broader skill set and keep your options more open for degree choice.

Are you set on taking Japanese? To be honest, taking two years to get a GCSE at the expense of an AS doesn't seem the best approach. Can't you self study or do the foundation stage alongside you A2s?

ReputationRep:
    Ah right, fair enough
    I'd still go for the 4 AS subjects though and see how you cope - you're still allowed to drop after the first few weeks anyway

ReputationRep:
    Sorry i meant to say computer science for uni, OK thank you for the advice everyone

ReputationRep:
    Ok so I think I've come up with a 4th as, I was thinking Physics. I'm good (or like to think I am) at Maths and having researched the topic people have said if you understand Maths you should be alright. However, even now at GCSE level I still can't wrap my head round some of the concepts but I can apply the Maths just fine.

Any suggestions?

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/A-Level_Physics

^^ This should help a bit.
    It will be difficult especially at first with the maths but you can get help from your school (see if they have a mymaths account or just ask teachers - they are there to help you) or whenever you get stuck at home, just search what you need into google
    Your mechanics units will overlap (you say you're doing maths and further maths at AS level), so you should find it easy after a while
    Just get lots of practice!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.