The Student Room Group
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website

Retakes information

Hi, I am a 2nd year BEng Civil Engineering student. Due to my financial problems , I spent most of this year working, as a results I missed most of course works for all my 5 modules (110 credits). They were worth up to 25% of each module. So I was relying on exams to get the overall 40% needed to pass this year. However I reckon I will only pass 2 modules (40 credits). So I wanted to know
1. If I would be allowed to retake the 3 modules (70 credits) I I think I failed. The students handbook says if you fail you can retake but it does not say the maximum amount of modules or maximum amount of credits you can retake.

2. I was a direct student to 2nd year and stupidly did not read the student handbook till now. In the handbook, there was something about getting minimum 35% in both coursework and exams to pass a module. So, if I did not do any course work (worth 25% of the overall module) but I took the exams (worth 75% of the overall module) and got the 60% in the exam (worth 45% of the overall module), have I passed or failed the module?

Thank You in advance
Reply 1
Original post by curiousgeorge
Hi, I am a 2nd year BEng Civil Engineering student. Due to my financial problems , I spent most of this year working, as a results I missed most of course works for all my 5 modules (110 credits). They were worth up to 25% of each module. So I was relying on exams to get the overall 40% needed to pass this year. However I reckon I will only pass 2 modules (40 credits). So I wanted to know
1. If I would be allowed to retake the 3 modules (70 credits) I I think I failed. The students handbook says if you fail you can retake but it does not say the maximum amount of modules or maximum amount of credits you can retake.

2. I was a direct student to 2nd year and stupidly did not read the student handbook till now. In the handbook, there was something about getting minimum 35% in both coursework and exams to pass a module. So, if I did not do any course work (worth 25% of the overall module) but I took the exams (worth 75% of the overall module) and got the 60% in the exam (worth 45% of the overall module), have I passed or failed the module?

Thank You in advance

You have to pass all components with at least 35% and the whole module grade has to be over 40% to pass. If you didn't hand any coursework in at all (i.e. it will be classed as late) you will have been given a zero and have to retake it, but your module grade will be capped at 40%. Retakes for coursework and exams are usually in August.

To me, it sounds like you have 5 modules where you will have to redo the coursework? They may also suggest you retake any exams that are of a low grade to ensure you get 40% overall.

I'd contact your personal tutor as soon as possible and the individual module leaders of the modules where you haven't done the coursework. They will be able to advise you on when hand in dates are for the redone courseworks.

Basically, even if you get 100% in all of your exams you would still fail the module as you have to get 35% in each component of the module.
(edited 10 years ago)
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest