Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    i would like to know what i have to do to be able to get a job as a vet not a vetenary nurse e.g. do i have to go to uni if so what will i need and what will i need to do :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geckol0ver)
    i would like to know what i have to do to be able to get a job as a vet not a vetenary nurse e.g. do i have to go to uni if so what will i need and what will i need to do :cool:
    Hi You should go on the veterinary medicine forums, theres loads of us on there and loads of current students and prospective students (like me) who are always willing to help and give you advice.

Though to answer your questions to become a vet you need to go to university for 5 to 6 years (depending on which unis you apply to and what course you decide on as some are aimed at people who haven't taken A-levels) to get more info on grades and stuff you need to look at all the vet schools websites but generally its 3As (sometimes an A*) at A-level.

Most people applying aim for what liverpool asks when it comes to work experience, this is 10 weeks work experience with 6 of it being husbandry (farms, catterys, kennels etc) and 4 weeks vets (must me at least 2). The core work experience most people advice is, Small animal vets, Large animal vets, lambing, dairy farm, cattery/kennels, something to do with horses (riding schools and those sort of things and pig farm (if you can find one). Though its good remember that most applicants will have more than 10 weeks and people (like myself) have applied multiple times so will have lots of work experience so its best to have as wide as variety as possible.

Hope this is some help

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 15, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.