Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Ideas for meals and snacks for shift worker? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hoping some of you guys can think of a few more ideas for me please!

My boyfriend works shifts, a mixture of earlies (7am-4pm/7am-5pm), lates (2pm-4am/3pm-11pm) and nights (9pm-7am/10pm-7am).

Due tothe job he does he cannot have anything that requires an oven, toaster or microwave. Nor can he have anything that is likely to become soggy.

His job means that sometimes he is very pushed for time to eat, he doesn't get a set break and has had to leave his food in order to go back to work at a moments notice.

I could do with some ideas for food for him. I'm struggling to keep it interesting but simple at the same time. I know he gets bored with food on nights, which often consists of cereal bars or cereal (when he's back inside and not out driving).

He's not particularly fussy with his food though.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be great. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Breakfast - Granola and yoghurt with fruit.
    Lunch/other - Sandwiches. Or he could make a pasta salad the night before and pack that ready for the morning.
    He could take some of those small packets of raisins or nuts, I know they're for kids, but I'm 19 and also do shift work, I find it helps as a little boost until I can get a proper meal.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a student nurse so work shifts when I'm on placement and I often find a few hours into a heavy shift I'll need something a little sugary so I often have something like a funsize mars bar (or any chocolate hanging around of the stations) and a little box of grapes. For main meals I quite like those baxters boxes things, they're like pasta and sauce in a box but wouldn't be ideal for him if he's driving. I quite like rivita and hummus as well and i find that often fills me up for long enough.

ReputationRep:
    Sandwiches, pasta salad, pieces of fruit, chocolate bars etc.

I would probably just have something small to eat and try and get a decent proper meal in before or after work if there really isn't much opportunity to eat at work.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.