Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am looking into getting one of these global SIM card things, and this is what the company suggested I need to do as they require 3G to make calls home from Canada, but as I don't want to pay the £1 per MB charge, this is what they suggested to me when I called them about this.

I can't find any option to do this on my phone though?! I am not just being daft am I?

ReputationRep:
    What phone have you got?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarcasmrules)
    What phone have you got?
    A Samsung Galaxy S2

ReputationRep:
    Settings> More... > Mobile networks> Data roaming (make sure this is unticked)

Also when you're abroad you can turn off packet data as well if you want to make 100% sure data won't connect.

This means you can still make calls/texts but you won't be able to access the internet on your phone unless you're connected to a wi-fi hotspot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sum Gai)
    Settings> More... > Mobile networks> Data roaming (make sure this is unticked)

Also when you're abroad you can turn off packet data as well if you want to make 100% sure data won't connect.

This means you can still make calls/texts but you won't be able to access the internet on your phone unless you're connected to a wi-fi hotspot.
    Yeah this is what I thought too when I looked at my options. Though the company say I should keep my 3G on, which I can't do without having the data on as well?! Is this right?

If I haven't got wifi then I won't be able to keep my 3G on without using data..?

Sorry, I am not very technical!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caseyhayes)
    A Samsung Galaxy S2
    Uh, I guess by "data", they mean roaming (using the internet abroad). I found a forum thread, and they say:

- settings->wireless and networks->mobile networks, gives you option to enable/disable packet data (same as the button you describe), but also switch data roaming on/off. Unless you're on 3 in the UK, you can disable just roaming
    Source: http://androidforums.com/samsung-gal...n-roaming.html

This should​ help, let me know if you still have problems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarcasmrules)
    Uh, I guess by "data", they mean roaming (using the internet abroad). I found a forum thread, and they say:

Source: http://androidforums.com/samsung-gal...n-roaming.html

This should​ help, let me know if you still have problems.
    SO disable roaming, and keep packet data on? Won't this still mean things like my email and facebook etc will run in the background?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah this is what I thought too when I looked at my options. Though the company say I should keep my 3G on, which I can't do without having the data on as well?! Is this right?

If I haven't got wifi then I won't be able to keep my 3G on without using data..?

Sorry, I am not very technical!!
    No, you're getting confused.

Rather than call it 3G lets split it into two different parts

Calls/Texts ------------ & Data

When you turn data roaming off it means you don't have data access on 3G. But it means that you can still get calls/texts access on 3G.

So turning data roaming off just stops the internet. You can still use calls/texts fine over 3G.

If you want to use the internet when you're abroad then you either turn data roaming on and pay £1 per mb (which i do not recommend) Or connect to your hotel wi-fi which should be free.

Edit: turning data roaming off stops any data going through so you will have no internet access at all, that means that facebook/email will not run in the background. Packet data applies to the UK only so won't really affect you abroad.

ReputationRep:
    SO disable roaming, and keep packet data on? Won't this still mean things like my email and facebook etc will run in the background?
    Correct. Disabling roaming means that data won't be used when you are out of your provider's signal area (e.g. the UK). However calls and texts will still be used.

ReputationRep:
    No, you're getting confused.

Rather than call it 3G lets split it into two different parts

Calls/Texts ------------ & Data

When you turn data roaming off it means you don't have data access on 3G. But it means that you can still get calls/texts access on 3G.

So turning data roaming off just stops the internet. You can still use calls/texts fine over 3G.

If you want to use the internet when you're abroad then you either turn data roaming on and pay £1 per mb (which i do not recommend) Or connect to your hotel wi-fi which should be free.

Edit: turning data roaming off stops any data going through so you will have no internet access at all, that means that facebook/email will not run in the background. Packet data applies to the UK only so won't really affect you abroad.
    Thank you so much, this helps.

Basically, I am not bothered about using internet abroad (apart from wifi on my laptop.) It is for this: https://www.traveltalksim.com/auracall/user_guide

Which states 2. In Canada
    "Note: You will need a 3G handset in order to use this service."
    and it says data costs £1 a MB
    When I called them up she said "Keep your 3G on." but I could turn data off.

So, in short, when I get to Canada I turn Data Roaming and Packet Data OFF but this still means my 3G is ON for the purpose of using this SIM card? So I will be ok and won't get charged the £1 as I have turned data off?

(I think I am just getting confused as when I turn packet data off the little 3G with the up and down arrows disappears, do you know what I mean? I am on Vodafone)

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much, this helps.

Basically, I am not bothered about using internet abroad (apart from wifi on my laptop.) It is for this: https://www.traveltalksim.com/auracall/user_guide

Which states 2. In Canada
    "Note: You will need a 3G handset in order to use this service."
    and it says data costs £1 a MB
    When I called them up she said "Keep your 3G on." but I could turn data off.

So, in short, when I get to Canada I turn Data Roaming and Packet Data OFF but this still means my 3G is ON for the purpose of using this SIM card? So I will be ok and won't get charged the £1 as I have turned data off?

(I think I am just getting confused as when I turn packet data off the little 3G with the up and down arrows disappears, do you know what I mean? I am on Vodafone)
    Yeh that's correct. It can be confusing but like i said, 3G can be split into two parts. The calls and texts part is represented by the sginal bars on the top of your phone. The data part is represented by the 3G or H icon on the top of your phone. So when you turn data roaming off you lose the 3G/H icon for data access but the signal bars are still there so you have 3G access for Voice calls/texts.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh that's correct. It can be confusing but like i said, 3G can be split into two parts. The calls and texts part is represented by the sginal bars on the top of your phone. The data part is represented by the 3G or H icon on the top of your phone. So when you turn data roaming off you lose the 3G/H icon for data access but the signal bars are still there so you have 3G access for Voice calls/texts.
    Ah, I see. Will rep you tomorrow .

So why would the company have said specifically "if you are in Canada keep 3G on" anywhere else "make sure 3G is OFF"
    How would anyone turn their 3G off in that case?!

ReputationRep:
    Ah, I see. Will rep you tomorrow .

So why would the company have said specifically "if you are in Canada keep 3G on" anywhere else "make sure 3G is OFF"
    How would anyone turn their 3G off in that case?!
    Because networks like to confuse their customers

Tbh i think they just mean keep your phone connected to their network in canada only. (as they're a canadian network?)

Cheers for the rep.

ReputationRep:
    To make sure 3G is on, there should be an option under wireless and networks - mobile networks that says network mode, you want WCDMA preferred/GSM as that will keep 3G switched on and then turn off data as above.

I think the reason they are asking you to do this is because the network they use in Canada uses the same frequency as 3G here so you need it on to pick up their signal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamaicafan)
    To make sure 3G is on, there should be an option under wireless and networks - mobile networks that says network mode, you want WCDMA preferred/GSM as that will keep 3G switched on and then turn off data as above.

I think the reason they are asking you to do this is because the network they use in Canada uses the same frequency as 3G here so you need it on to pick up their signal.
    Thank you. It currently says gsm/wcdma (auto) under this setting. So if I leave it as that will that be ok?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you. It currently says gsm/wcdma (auto) under this setting. So if I leave it as that will that be ok?
    Yup,

It's an S2 so it'll always say WCDMA/GSM which is fine. Means you can access 3G (WCDMA) and 2G (GSM) data and signal. The only reason i didn't tell you about this is because you said 3G data was working so this setting already had been set, + it's a default setting anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Yup,

It's an S2 so it'll always say WCDMA/GSM which is fine. Means you can access 3G (WCDMA) and 2G (GSM) data and signal. The only reason i didn't tell you about this is because you said 3G data was working so this setting already had been set, + it's a default setting anyway.
    Thanks again. I am getting an upgrade to a galaxy s3 or a sony expwria t soon, I assume this will still be ok?

ReputationRep:
    Yes both will have the same option and both should be switched on by default.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 22, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.