Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Equation of a line. I have no idea what most of this means.Can someone please explain this to me?

http://imgur.com/HOO95iw

ReputationRep:
    Bump. Anyone? :/
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by theonn)
    Equation of a line. I have no idea what most of this means.Can someone please explain this to me?

http://imgur.com/HOO95iw
    Are you studying this for A level?

It's just giving you the standard parameterised form of a line in terms of vectors;

if A is a known point on the line, then you can express the position vector of a general point P on the line as:

position vector of A + some scalar multiple of the direction vector of the line

ReputationRep:
    Bump. Anyone? :/
    So point A has coordiantes (2,3). The gradient of it is 1/2, which you can clearly see from the diagram. So if we want to write in vector form how to get from the origin to point A, we denote this OA.

OA=2i+3j. This means that to get from the origin to point A, we go along 2 in the x-direction and up 3 in the y direction.

Similarly to get to OP, we to first go to point A, and then we have to go some scalar multiple in the direction of vector m, and since we don't know what this is we call it lamda.

So then OP=OA+lamda(gradient).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davros)
    Are you studying this for A level?

It's just giving you the standard parameterised form of a line in terms of vectors;

if A is a known point on the line, then you can express the position vector of a general point P on the line as:

position vector of A + some scalar multiple of the direction vector of the line
    Studying comp sci, we have maths modules which are essentially A-Level/some bits of GCSE work into it. I understand that OA = a =2i+3j. But I don't understand what the gradient m is, how how I it comes up, or where that red line comes from. Also the r the lamda sign. Can you explain this to me in basic simple terms please? If you can. I'd really appropriate it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Music99)
    So point A has coordiantes (2,3). The gradient of it is 1/2, which you can clearly see from the diagram. So if we want to write in vector form how to get from the origin to point A, we denote this OA.

OA=2i+3j. This means that to get from the origin to point A, we go along 2 in the x-direction and up 3 in the y direction.

Similarly to get to OP, we to first go to point A, and then we have to go some scalar multiple in the direction of vector m, and since we don't know what this is we call it lamda.

So then OP=OA+lamda(gradient).
    I understand how to get to point A, and that to get to point P we must start off from point A. But I don't understand how we got the figure for Gradient m = 2i + j. I'm still really confused
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Studying comp sci, we have maths modules which are essentially A-Level/some bits of GCSE work into it. I understand that OA = a =2i+3j. But I don't understand what the gradient m is, how how I it comes up, or where that red line comes from. Also the r the lamda sign. Can you explain this to me in basic simple terms please? If you can. I'd really appropriate it
    The red line is just showing steps along and up, it's not really part of the maths!

The principle is that the line you want has a particular direction (what they call the gradient) which is 2i+j, However, there are lots of lines parallel to that line which will have the same gradient! The line we're interested in must contain A as a point, and to get to a general point on the line we go from O to A and then along the line its direction by a particular fraction. Lambda gives you the multiple of the direction you go along - it's just an ordinary number like 2, 7, 0.5 etc

So one point on the line has position OA + 2(2i + j), another has position vector OA + 17(2i+j) etc

ReputationRep:
    I understand how to get to point A, and that to get to point P we must start off from point A. But I don't understand how we got the figure for Gradient m = 2i + j. I'm still really confused
    gradient is change in y over change in x.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.