Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    ...but I look 14

all my life I heard that is good to look young and that I'm lucky that I look younger than I am!

But as I grew up, finished, got a job, learned to drive etc I HATE the fact that I look younger than I am.

I look 14 yrs old. I'm not kidding. people think that I am a kid.They don't take me serious and I hate that. Where ever I go people over look me because they think I'm a kid. I work in the early years/primary education and is bad because I look like one of the kids and not the staff lol.

I was in a relationship with a guy once and after we chatted on the phone for few days he came over and saw me. He called the girl who sat us up and told me I look younger than I am and people might think something else since he come across as my dad and that he's not interested. I was devastated.

I want to know if this a genetic thing, illness or something? Or if I can do something about it? Because I'm getting tired that I am 30 but look 14-Literally.

Sorry for complaining, don't know who else to talk to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by horizon1985)
    ...but I look 14

all my life I heard that is good to look young and that I'm lucky that I look younger than I am!

But as I grew up, finished, got a job, learned to drive etc I HATE the fact that I look younger than I am.

I look 14 yrs old. I'm not kidding. people think that I am a kid.They don't take me serious and I hate that. Where ever I go people over look me because they think I'm a kid. I work in the early years/primary education and is bad because I look like one of the kids and not the staff lol.

I was in a relationship with a guy once and after we chatted on the phone for few days he came over and saw me. He called the girl who sat us up and told me I look younger than I am and people might think something else since he come across as my dad and that he's not interested. I was devastated.

I want to know if this a genetic thing, illness or something? Or if I can do something about it? Because I'm getting tired that I am 30 but look 14-Literally.

Sorry for complaining, don't know who else to talk to.
    Like anyone on TSR is going to be able to give a correct answer on this?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    why is that?

ReputationRep:
    He has a point, it's just genetics unfortunately. Try wearing your hair differently/ make-up / clothing style etc to see if anything works.. I don't know what else to say really.

ReputationRep:
    Seriously, that's a blessing! Seems like you've encountered some fairly immature and insensitive men in your time. Here's one for you; my mum also works in primary education. She's sixty one but looks mid fifties, and has always been young looking. She's 4'9". Instead of seeing it as a disadvantage when the year 5 kids are taller than her, she sneaks into the middle of fights and breaks them up. Like a tiny, slightly wrinkly ninja.

If you really want to look older - smoke, drink, make yourself unhealthy. But I know what I'd choose.

ReputationRep:
    Do you look 14 because you are small or due to facial features etc?

ReputationRep:
    You'll be very grateful when you're in your 60s, 70s and older.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatrollingstone)
    Do you look 14 because you are small or due to facial features etc?
    I'm short 5'1 and I also look young in terms of facial features, like I have baby face.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meenu89)

see that's what I get all the time. OMG you so lucky, wait till you reach 60s and 70s then you'll appreciate it.
    I just want look my age though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meenu89)
    Hahaha this made me laugh for some reason

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Helper
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Maybe change your style? Dress a bit older? It's hard for us to say anything 'cause we don't know what you look like.

ReputationRep:
    That guy sounds really rude and tactless if he did this in front of you :/ Maybe change the way you dress, dress older perhaps? Noone can really give n opinion without a photo etc really, but can see why you wouldn't want to

ReputationRep:
    Are you not in fact 27/28? (1985)

Anyway, the thing is first appearances are always deceptive - even if you look really young - people's perception of your age is also to do with how you carry yourself, how you dress and what you say. People you know get over the fact that you are baby faced really quickly. One of my best mates has a girlfriend who is very small and looks like a teenager (and always gets IDd in the shops and pubs) but she just laughs it off and accepts it. She often gets a reaction when people meet her where they think she is younger than she is but once you get to know her you just forget about that.

ReputationRep:
    Oh god, this will be me. I'm 20 and look about 15, nobody believes my age.

Wearing makeup and maybe doing something different with your hair might help. It works for me, I look my age more when I wear makeup and go to the effort to straighten my hair.

(Original post by Linds9)
    Seriously, that's a blessing! Seems like you've encountered some fairly immature and insensitive men in your time. Here's one for you; my mum also works in primary education. She's sixty one but looks mid fifties, and has always been young looking. She's 4'9". Instead of seeing it as a disadvantage when the year 5 kids are taller than her, she sneaks into the middle of fights and breaks them up. Like a tiny, slightly wrinkly ninja. .
    This made me laugh

(Original post by Hart1995)
    Like anyone on TSR is going to be able to give a correct answer on this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That is correct. I was gonna say something too but it would be moderated which I would hate to happen.

ReputationRep:
    At least you're not 26 and get told you look 30, that's worst in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    You'll be grateful that you look younger in time! What's your hair like? I always look younger when I have a fringe.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    im 31 and still look like im 24, - get over it.

If your so upset over it then dress differently - dress older i guess.

Personally i love it that i look 7-8 years younger than i actually am

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 14, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.