Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I'm currently studying my AS Levels - Maths, Physics, Geography and Religious Studies.

With university applications fast approaching, I'm still unsure about what I want to study.

Areas of interest include: economics, philosophy, physics but are not limited to these areas of study.

Does anyone have any advice on courses to look into?

Thank you in advance.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly they arent 'fast approaching' - you have until mid January next year to finalise your initial UCAS application So calm down - people who rush into this tend to make the wrong decisions/choices and then have all the difficulty of trying to 'unpick' all that later.

Pick up a few Uni prospectuses from a variety if different Unis. Just flip through them reading the descriptions of courses that interest you. Think about what it is about thee subjects that you like - and what you dont like about the ones where you just turned the page. Make sure you look at courses with unfamiliar titles - International Relations, Development Studies, Criminology, American Studies, Social Policy etc etc.

Go to as many Open Days as you can - even if these are at Unis you dont intend to apply to - this will give you an idea of what 'going to Uni' is all about, how its different from school and some of the wide variety of courses on offer. There are lots coming up in June/July and in September - and anyone thinking of applying to Uni is welcome.

PS. You dont have to go to Uni straight from school. There is no shame in planning a Gap Year. For some people, especially those who arent certain about which subject etc, this can give you some valuable unpressured thinking time away from the pressure of your A level year.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice, much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    If you are interested in Economics and Philosophy you might look at PPE because it is quite a general course and allows you to look into many areas of study (even potentially branching out into science - we can take a philosophy of science module in 3rd year for example).

I would echo the advise already given and say go and have a look round some universities, on open days they have talks from loads of subjects and that might inspire you to make a choice.

ReputationRep:
    Depending on which university you go to, you can take one major (first choice) and a minor(s), meaning that you can change your mind if you find that your major isn't the one for you.

However, it is worth looking at what you would want to do in the future - the best starting point is seeing what you want to be doing once you've graduated and then work back and see what you need to do to get you there

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.