Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Outline and evaluate research into the effects of age of witnesses on accuracy of eyewitness testimony (12 marks)

I don't really know what to write for this question. I have the AO1 bit down - I have written about studies by Flin et al. and Memon et al. and Loftus et al. I just have no idea what to write for AO2! I can talk a bit about the pros and cons of lab experiments and field experiments, but there is not that much else to write.

Does anyone know of any evaluation points I could use in this essay?

ReputationRep:
    - Individual differences/ participant variables, sampling/ research design and how that might reduce the validity of the study, reliability and reductionism might be a good place to start? I'm presuming you'll have dealt with stuff like demand characteristics and mundane realism already with regards to your existing points.

ReputationRep:
    A good thing to include in AO2 is also the implications the research has, for example implications of using children as witnesses if they're supposedly unreliable in eye witness testimony.
    Also include whether it applies to the real world, if a study makes participants watch a video it isn't the same as studying people who are remembering an actual event as it's artificial
    Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    Loftus and Palmer's experiment used students - this is only a small percentage of society, thus results lack population validity (extent to which results can be generalized to the population)
    - Lab experiments for L&P's experiment means contrived, artificial setting. Thus, participants may alter their behaviour, meaning how they react won't necessarily be the same as their behaviour in the real world. Means that the results lack validity.
    - Individual differences; for the speed perception task, as students, their experiences with cars and car-speed may differ to those older, experienced drivers who have had years of driving under their belt.

ReputationRep:
    What is the Loftus study for age? Thought she'd only done misleading info and anxiety weapon focus?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    YOu can split into into an AO1 and an A02 for a couple of the different effects on EWT accuracy

E.g.

AO1 - misleading info effect (loftus and palmer)

AO2 - limitations = loftus and palmer is a lab study so lacks mundane realism etc
    study of 10 witnesses to a real life crime found no effect of misleading questions

AO1 - age effect

AO2 - evauate

AO1 - anxiety effect (armed bank robbery showed those with most anxiety = highest EWT accuracy)

AO2 - Christianson and Hubinette research contradicts
    apparent contradiction explained by Yerkes-Dodson curve

Conc=EWT not very reliable due to so many factors that can effect them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simrankx)
    Outline and evaluate research into the effects of age of witnesses on accuracy of eyewitness testimony (12 marks)

I don't really know what to write for this question. I have the AO1 bit down - I have written about studies by Flin et al. and Memon et al. and Loftus et al. I just have no idea what to write for AO2! I can talk a bit about the pros and cons of lab experiments and field experiments, but there is not that much else to write.

Does anyone know of any evaluation points I could use in this essay?

~what were the AO1 points you made?

ReputationRep:
    Historical bias - it was Flin was 1992 and times have changed since then, children might be more or less observant to crimes or have a greater or worse memory
    Cultural bias - Flin was a western study, you can't apply the findings to eastern/collectivist cultures because children are raised differently so they're different and finding can't be generalised

Historical and cultural bias - works every time

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.