Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello, hope someone can assist....

been selected to attend a England international training camp that falls on a day that i am due to have my first year AS PE exam, i have been told if i fail to attend camp i will not be selected for forthcoming internationals...

can i miss this exam under special circumstances...and redo later in year etc...any assistance...

ReputationRep:
    You need to contact the centre where you're sitting the exam to let them know. It's not necessary to sit AS and A2 exams at set times, so it should be okay as long as you explain your situation.

ReputationRep:
    Many Thanks for your reply

ReputationRep:
    ocr exam board will not allow to be taken at a later date , been advised can do next summer and practical mark will be carried forward.

mmmmmm

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, sorry forgot to say although you don't have to sit them at "set" times, I meant you could take the A2 exams in your first year and the AS ones in your second, for example, or all in the same exam period. You still have to choose one of the designated exam periods (January or June, although I'm guessing only June will be available next year). The reason why OCR said no to a later date is to avoid cheating because you could ask a friend what was on the paper, and they're unlikely to create a whole new one just for you.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your help , how important is the first year AS? would it be to much with both taken in June, will i of just wasted a year( exam officer - no help)! of study...

need to decide today thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by discodaddy)
    Hello, hope someone can assist....

been selected to attend a England international training camp that falls on a day that i am due to have my first year AS PE exam, i have been told if i fail to attend camp i will not be selected for forthcoming internationals...

can i miss this exam under special circumstances...and redo later in year etc...any assistance...
    Seriously, what kind of idiot sporting body schedules mandatory training camps for 16-19 y.o. in the middle of exams? Missing the exam is a risky option, you will have a big workload for exams next year and no opportunity to resit the AS exam to improve your grade if necessary. I guess only you can decide what your priority is and which option is best for your future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by discodaddy)
    Thanks for your help , how important is the first year AS? would it be to much with both taken in June, will i of just wasted a year( exam officer - no help)! of study...

need to decide today thanks
    We're always told that AS is very important, because it basically forms the basis of your options if you were to apply for uni in Year 13. This is because universities will use your AS grades to determine your eligibility for their courses with regards to entry requirements, your teachers will use them to do your predicted grades which will again affect universities' opinion of you when deciding whether to give you an offer or not and of course, they do form half of your overall A Level grade so you have a firmer foundation on which to base your uni choices on.

However, I guess you at least have some reason for no AS grades, compared to someone who simply did not work and came out with rubbish marks. This can be explained in your reference, although I'm not sure if universities would see it as a valid reason for missing your exams - compared to someone whose parents died the day before the exams, for example. Having said, at least you'll have a great extra curricular to talk about in your PS!

The other user makes a good point about it being risky, especially under the new A Level reforms, so ultimately the decision is up to you and how capable you think you are of managing that sort of workload. (Although, if it helps, AS will probably seem easier after you complete the harder A2 and AS exams generally come earlier than the A2 ones, which might give a bit of time in between for revision.)

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.