Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone! :wavey:
    How's everyone's revision going? Anyone have any predictions, as to what will be one the paper?

ReputationRep:
    Internal and external factors of women's achievement for the 20 mark question. Tutor said it hasn't come up before

ReputationRep:
    dont you mean 21st may?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teeheych12)
    dont you mean 21st may?
    Oh yeah, oopsy daisy!

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I was looking through the mark scheme and found Willis has been frequently mentioned in what studies are likely to be used.
    I cant actually find it in the blue book and would appreciate if one of you dandy chaps would explain it to me in terms of method. I know it was the 3 rs and 3 fs.

Thx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Any predictions?

ReputationRep:
    Girls achieve came up in January 2013 so it's unlikely for women to come up. I believe social class is likely to come up, maybe self fulfilling prophecy for the shorter questions. Have a feeling participant observation for research methods. Not sure though it's just what I've concluded

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I really do hope its participant observations, or experimentsss. My teacher thinks it will be a perspective question on either interactionist or feminists for the education.. (even though we only know one sociologist from the feminist view - mcrobbie)

There's also another thread going if you want to discuss this examm guys
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2244539

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gloriousgloria)
    I really do hope its participant observations, or experimentsss. My teacher thinks it will be a perspective question on either interactionist or feminists for the education.. (even though we only know one sociologist from the feminist view - mcrobbie)

There's also another thread going if you want to discuss this examm guys
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2244539
    I think there is sue sharpe.. Maybe

P'haps you could crit willis as not appreciating teh ladies.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone think that the educations act will come up?

ReputationRep:
    What is meant by 'internal and external' factors affecting women's education?

ReputationRep:
    My teacher seems to think its unlikely age or ethnicity will come up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NoDescription)
    Internal and external factors of women's achievement for the 20 mark question. Tutor said it hasn't come up before
    so gender ?

ReputationRep:
    Any one who's wondering what studies/explanations that could be used regarding any gender questions;
    With regards to female underachievement during the 70's/80's 4 key explanations;

Fiona Norman, 1988 - Early socialization sex stereotyping via treatment of girls, media, toys given to boys/ girls.
    Glenlys Loban (1974 I think) / Lesley Best (1992 I think) - Reading schemes used overwhelmingly stereo typical books, Loban found that out of 178 books there was roughly 80 heroes and just 35 heroines, Best concluded similarly that there were roughly 900 male characters, compared to just around 400 female, in addition 75% of female characters portrayed in a family situation. May explain the lack of expectation/aspirations that girls had for themselves.
    Licht & Dweck (80's)- Lack of self confidence amongst girls, compared to over confidence amongst boys essentially. Both girls + boys criticized equally, however girls received a lack of criticism which essentially alienated them.
    Michelle Stanworth - Study on A-level girls and boys which found similarly to Licht & Dweck, lack of confidence and detrimental teacher attitudes to blame to lack of expectations amongst girls. Through unstructured interviews she found that the teachers in this particular school saw little potential amongst the girls - only one girl in one of the teacher's classes was seen as having the potential to have a 'professional career' and interestingly she was the most assertive in the class, the cleverest girl in the class on the other hand was seen as having the potential to be a PA.

Explanations for increase in female achievement

Changing expectations are shown in Sue Sharpe's study (not going to go into that)

Policy reforms such as the 1975 sex discrimination act which was aimed at creating equality in the work place, but also ensured that girls could not be filtered into different subjects to boys.
    Education reform act 1988 - National Curriculum; girls + boys forced to study same core subjects. (thus formal restrictions not prevalent any more).

Kirkland Rowell (corporation) - After surveying roughly 137,000 students + 280,000 parents found that 67% of parents with daughters wanted them to go to uni vs 62% for boys. Similarly, 80% girls aspired to go to uni vs 75% of boys. Can be linked with J.W.D Douglas's view that the single most important factor in educational achievement is parental interest.
    Myhill + Jones - By interviewing 144 students from years 1-10 they found that boys were overwhelmingly spoken to more negatively.

There are so many more points to write about - changes in labour market (Service sector has grown by 45% since the 70's) and heavy industry down by 56% in the same time = more opportunities for women.

Feminism + the women's movement. - Mitsos and Browne.

Feminisation of education - Coursework + modular exams supposedly suit girls more. (Melanie Phillips)

Hegemonic Masculinity; the 'lad culture'
    Moral Panic; Francis and Skelton

There are so many more things that can be included, hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucky03)
    Does anyone think that the educations act will come up?
    My teacher predicted that would come up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asterisk49)
    Hey, I was looking through the mark scheme and found Willis has been frequently mentioned in what studies are likely to be used.
    I cant actually find it in the blue book and would appreciate if one of you dandy chaps would explain it to me in terms of method. I know it was the 3 rs and 3 fs.

Thx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    he studied "laddish subculture" in the 1970's in a school in the Midlands. he found out that they were racist and sexist. they thought they were superior to staff and other students. they weren't interested in academic success. wanted to be in the adult world.
    Willis used interviews, observations and participant observations.
    the disadvantages were that its outdated (1979), a small sample.
    advantages are that its really detailed and shows an understanding of their behaviour.

hope that helps

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 20, 2013

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.