The Student Room Group

So I got caught with my phone in my A2 exam...

Switched it off, but didn't put it away before the exam started. Someone's phone rang during the exam, we were forced to own up if we had phones in the exam room. Got my details taken down by exam officers.

I understand it is totally my fault, so please spare me your ridiculous comments.

Any idea on the likelihood of them overlooking this incident, considering the fact that it wasn't my phone which rang?

I'm resigned to my inevitable fate, but any stories would give me a bit of optimism at least.

Cheers. Not been a good day :frown:.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You didn't actually state what happened so it's hard to comment on it lol
Reply 2
Original post by Anazoth
You didn't actually state what happened so it's hard to comment on it lol

What else could they say?
Reply 3
I think they'll probably mark your paper as per usual and if you got 100% then they'd think wait a minute... but if you have a normal looking score then they probably won't care!
Original post by jamboogy
Switched it off, but didn't put it away before the exam started. Someone's phone rang during the exam, we were forced to own up if we had phones in the exam room. Got my details taken down by exam officers.

I understand it is totally my fault, so please spare me your ridiculous comments.

Any idea on the likelihood of them overlooking this incident, considering the fact that it wasn't my phone which rang?

I'm resigned to my inevitable fate, but any stories would give me a bit of optimism at least.

Cheers. Not been a good day :frown:.

Whether it was yours that rang or not is irrelevant. It is clearly stated on multiple occasions that having a phone on your person in an exam is considered cheating, whether it is switched off or not. By A2 you've done more than enough exams to know this. They'd be well within their rights to disqualify you from that module but I think it depends on your school.
Reply 5
Why did you own up to having your phone in your pocket? Honestly sometimes not telling the truth is far more beneficial.
Reply 6
Original post by elia
Why did you own up to having your phone in your pocket? Honestly sometimes not telling the truth is far more beneficial.

"But didn't put it away"

It doesn't sound like it was in their pocket.
Reply 7
Why did you have it with you in the first place? In my school you get disqualified for even carrying Tissue... you have to ask for tissue aswell.
You better hope the exam watchman you gave it to was nice.
Reply 8
Seriously, why did you own up to having it? Anyway, in answer to your question, the impression I get is that exam boards are very tough on this now. Considering how easy it actually would be to cheat in an exam, I think they're determined to make an example out of everyone and operate a zero tolerance policy. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

(Of course it is possible this is just what my school wants us to think)
Reply 9
I think you'll be fine :smile: This sort of thing used to happen a fair bit in my old school, nothing seemed to come to anything.
Reply 10
Bad luck :frown: I have no idea, but could you just be prepared to justify / give a back up story about how it completely slipped your mind? Was it in your pocket or something? Maybe you could say you had a headache and you completely forgot, but hold on to the fact that it was completely switched off.. again, really sorry :frown: hope things turn out okay :rolleyes:
I've got zero experience in this field, but I'd say that given the ridiculous number of times that you're told to hand your phone in before an exam it would be difficult for an exam board to see anything here but an intention to cheat. You can't even play the 'I've never done an A level exam before, I just forgot' card because you're doing A2s.

Just maintain that the phone was switched off and was not used, and also that it wasn't even yours that rang. Hopefully they'll be nice about it. If your grade is reasonable and it's in keeping with what your teachers expected you to get then maybe they'll let it go. Good luck! :smile:
Reply 12
At worse, you will have to retake the exam at a later date. Or they may over look it if you have evidence that you were not cheating. Although this can only be proved exactly on the day and time of when it happened I.e showing text messages/ note section

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Why the neg, genuinely baffled here. What a waste of rep.
(edited 10 years ago)
Tell them you are from the future, and you need to pass this exam to save the world.
Reply 14
Original post by Bencant
Seriously, why did you own up to having it? Anyway, in answer to your question, the impression I get is that exam boards are very tough on this now. Considering how easy it actually would be to cheat in an exam, I think they're determined to make an example out of everyone and operate a zero tolerance policy. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

(Of course it is possible this is just what my school wants us to think)

Original post by elia

We were told to own up or we would be searched on the way out. My mate owned up, so I did so anyway since they CLAIMED they were gonna search you on the way out. They didn't even search anyone on the way out. Scumbag scare tactics which I thought were a bit unreasonable and unfair.

I don't think they even caught the person who's phone went off since a GCSE group left 15 minutes earlier than us...

Original post by HRBstudent
Bad luck :frown: I have no idea, but could you just be prepared to justify / give a back up story about how it completely slipped your mind? Was it in your pocket or something? Maybe you could say you had a headache and you completely forgot, but hold on to the fact that it was completely switched off.. again, really sorry :frown: hope things turn out okay :rolleyes:

Yeah my friend and I gave down our details and explained ourselves to the teacher/exam officer. Hopefully nothing serious will happen, but you never know, especially given the number of people who will use a similar type of story.

Thanks though :smile:.
Reply 15
happened to me! forgot to tell them about my phone and had to sit through an AS maths paper with it in there! luckily it didn't or anything huh!

but yeah it does depend on the school. if i had been caught with my phone in my pocket - i'd be disqualified from every exam ever
Reply 16
Original post by jamboogy
We were told to own up or we would be searched on the way out. My mate owned up, so I did so anyway since they CLAIMED they were gonna search you on the way out. They didn't even search anyone on the way out. Scumbag scare tactics which I thought were a bit unreasonable and unfair.

I don't think they even caught the person who's phone went off since a GCSE group left 15 minutes earlier than us...

Yeah my friend and I gave down our details and explained ourselves to the teacher/exam officer. Hopefully nothing serious will happen, but you never know, especially given the number of people who will use a similar type of story.

Thanks though :smile:.

You should learn your human rights, you can't be searched without your permission, except by police that is,
Reply 17
Original post by Freak Out
What else could they say?

Someones phone rang and it was the ops fault. So unless he rang him the i don't see how :colondollar:
This happened in my physics GCSE exam last year and I stupidly owned up to having my phone in my bag turned off with the battery out and they didn't take my details or anything. It was impossible for it to have been mine anyway but I don't know why I automatically said yes because I was worrying about it for ages after, I think I posted a similar thread to this at the time. I'm not sure anything happened to whoever's phone it was because nobody ever heard anything about it. I'm sure it'll be fine :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by elia
You should learn your human rights, you can't be searched without your permission, except by police that is,

They could report you to the exams department for having 'reasonable cause to cheat' or whatever they call it. And since the person refused to be searched it would not look good at all

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest