Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I hate studying English what shall I do? I know I may sound ignorant()(you are probably reading this and thinking wt* ) but I genuinely don't like studying it, my vocabulary is rubbish and I seem to get low grades. How shall I get through the year on something that I don't like doing and how shall I get a good grade especially in the real exam where they put you on the spot and you have to write an essay in half an hour. I cant formulate ideas as quick.

Any help will be appreciated.

Acrux

ReputationRep:
    It might be a bad time to start now as you probably have lots of revision going on but reading more books can help you improve your vocabulary, even just reading news articles can help improve your vocabulary as well. Reading in general helps.

I find the essay bit hard too but my advice for that is to plan before you write so that you know what you're going to say and you don't keep going on about nothing. If the writing is supposed to be persuasive or argumentative, try to include praise rfcs techniques. If you can't think of an idea and you're pushed for time, seriously just take the first thing you think of even if it sounds boring and try to make it more interesting using good language (which you will have learnt from reading more, hopefully). Oh and also, try doing the writing section of the paper first rather than the reading section, because at the start of the exam your mind is fresh so it may be easier to come up with good ideas.

I hate English too so just try your best not to get too worked up over it and expanding your vocabulary by reading is probably the easiest way to improve your skills. Sorry if I didn't really help

ReputationRep:
    Reading books, even magazine articles can help your vocabulary quite a bit.

Good practice for the English Language exam would be to look at loads of past papers and do 2 or 3 and then get someone to mark them, see where you went wrong then do another one and see if you make the same mistakes again so you know what you need to do to get full marks in the real thing and what you're doing wrong.

Try spending time out making your own news articles and leaflets for fun, next time you read something evaluate it in your head or something. Any form of practice helps.

ReputationRep:
    I have enough time before the actual exam but not for the mock exam. Its really just my vocabulary it is so annoying i have started to memorise words from the dictionary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acrux)
    I have enough time before the actual exam but not for the mock exam. Its really just my vocabulary it is so annoying i have started to memorise words from the dictionary.
    You could try and pick an obscure word from the dictionary each day and make it a goal to use it in conversation at least 5 times that day. Might make it more interesting?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. Thats a great idea but i am going to try and memorise at least 10 words every day, this will mean running up to my exams i will have a large vocab which will help. Now how do i memorise 10 words each day and should i pick the words i want from the dictionary that are obscure?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acrux)
    Yeah. Thats a great idea but i am going to try and memorise at least 10 words every day, this will mean running up to my exams i will have a large vocab which will help. Now how do i memorise 10 words each day and should i pick the words i want from the dictionary that are obscure?
    If you have the time just write down the 10 words (and the meanings if you want) and then whenever you have a spare few minutes throughout the day test yourself on them, or just try and use each word once in conversation during the day, or do both if you really want to expand your vocabulary.

I think if you're feeling confident go for weird words that you never hear anyone use but if you're not so confident, start off with more simple words that maybe you've heard before but never knew what they meant and then build up to more obscure words.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.