Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I'm starting A-Levels in September and I've heard that Philosophy is really hard, so I was wondering what your opinion of it is?
    I'll also be studying Sociology, Psychology and Religious Studies
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    Oh wow, they are all 100% essay based and 100% exams! Good luck with that one!!

I dropped Sociology for Philosophy and Ethics cause I hated sociology.

Philosophy is really, really.. REALLY R-E-A-L-L-Y hard! Like honestly, it's ridiculously hard! But I love it though and it's really hard, but because it's so fascinating and challenging and since it's a new a-level (compared to my english a-levels) it's exciting learning something completely new. When I revised everything, for my exam today, it wasn't so bad as when i had first learnt it, so revision isn't that bad.

I say go for it, if you like all that stuff. But, the language can be tricky cause for us (OCR) we had to remember a lot of old quotes, and some of the philosophers are hard to understand and it links in with lots of other things, such as the topic 'Problem of Evil' links in with the Christian God, the Moral Argument so forth. I think this is one of the challenges because you must be careful not to wonder into other topics because if you do, you will shy away from the real question.

It's definitely a challenging subject and even my friend who's predicted A's in everything, including Phil and Ethics said that it was her hardest subject. So by all means, it's a difficult subject, but it's a lovable one too!

ReputationRep:
    Y'see, I'd say the exact opposite. It is a very hard subject in the sense that you have to manage your time in the exam very well, for AS it's 2 15 markers and 2 30 markers in exactly 90 minutes. But as far as content goes, if you've got views and opinions to express, you'll thrive.

For some of the unit's, you'll need to learn about various ways philosophers went about explaining things. But this is only to form the grounds of the basis for your own argument. For example, the two main arguments for gaining knowledge is we are either born with it, or we get it from experience. You'll need to know what philosophers accounted for what argument, but after that, you go on to argue your own belief, and why you feel this is the case.

The same applies to things such as tolerance, and being governed. It's all about your own opinion, and if you can give examples (such as dissent being illustrated by the apartheid in South Africa) then you'll be fine.

I love Philosophy, as long as you've got things to argue, you'll love it too. And you'll find it enjoyable, just make sure you keep on top of it, and try to construct your own individual belief early on. You'll be taught arguments for and against certain beliefs, so once you establish what side you're on, you'll find it easier to grasp theories and such

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chelseajanet)
    Hi! I'm starting A-Levels in September and I've heard that Philosophy is really hard, so I was wondering what your opinion of it is?
    I'll also be studying Sociology, Psychology and Religious Studies
    I really don't think it's hard at all. The only subjects I would consider 'hard' are science based subjects with concepts that are difficult to get your head around.

You need to manage your time and keep up with the topics, but this isn't about the subject being hard - it's about the general difficulties of transitioning into a more independent learner where your teachers won't be spoon feeding you.

The topics in this area are interesting and in-depth, and as long as you know the topics and have adequately studied the various things within those topics such as opposing opinions, strengths and weaknesses etc you will get along with the course just fine.
    However, if you don't do any extra studying and don't make any attempts to keep up with your work this doesn't make the subject hard - everything is 'hard' if you don't do the work.
    If you're looking for a subject where you can get by doing the bare minimum then you may find all of your subjects hard. It's the transition that's hard.
    Also I'd like to add that philosophy and religious studies are very similar so check which modules you'll be doing to make sure there wont be any overlap.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.