Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    ...Holding the car on the clutch when I'm getting ready to move. How can I improve

Ok so what I mean by this is, say you are going uphill, and you need to turn right, but you have to stop and wait for cars on the other side to pass before you turn, I struggle holding the car in that position without is rolling back or moving forward.

I'm ok when it comes to stopping uphill at like traffic lights or something, because I use my handbrake can set off ok. But like I say, when Ive say stopped uphill to turn right, as an example, I dont use the handbrake as Im only going to there for a few seconds until the cars on the other side pass (unlike red lights where I could be there like 20-30 seconds.)

I dont really know if this makes sense. basically I struggle with holding the car still when uphill without using the handbrake. like i say, when im at traffic lights, where i use my handbrake, im fine, but in other instances, like holding the car waiting to turn right, im not.

ReputationRep:
    First thing, I wouldn't be holding the car just by the clutch, especially on a hill. You could just use the break pedal, no? I personally tend to use the handbrake purely because if it's a hill you need acceleration too so I don't have to faff about with all three pedals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alfalimaindia)
    First thing, I wouldn't be holding the car just by the clutch, especially on a hill. You could just use the break pedal, no? I personally tend to use the handbrake purely because if it's a hill you need acceleration too so I don't have to faff about with all three pedals.
    ok thanks. Like I say, whenever I stop uphill at like traffic lights, etc, I always use handbrake.

But like I say, say im turning right uphill, and there are like 3 cars coming on the other side of the road that I have to give way to, I will only be waiting like 5-10 seconds, so i dont feel that that is long enough to use my handbrake for, so I instead just try to hold the car still without the handbrake, which i find difficult.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamL94)
    ok thanks. Like I say, whenever I stop uphill at like traffic lights, etc, I always use handbrake.

But like I say, say im turning right uphill, and there are like 3 cars coming on the other side of the road that I have to give way to, I will only be waiting like 5-10 seconds, so i dont feel that that is long enough to use my handbrake for, so I instead just try to hold the car still without the handbrake, which i find difficult.

Are you holding the car purely by the clutch or with the clutch down and the foot brake down?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alfalimaindia)
    Are you holding the car purely by the clutch or with the clutch down and the foot brake down?
    clutch and footbrake. which is ok, but usually, when I then let go of the brake to go onto the accelarator, the car rolls back. That obviously means that the clutch is not up far enough, but i dont like to pull it too far up because then it sometimes stalls.

What if I held the car on the clutch and accelerator. i think ive tried that but the car sometimes rolls forwards then?

ReputationRep:
    clutch and footbrake. which is ok, but usually, when I then let go of the brake to go onto the accelarator, the car rolls back. That obviously means that the clutch is not up far enough, but i dont like to pull it too far up because then it sometimes stalls.

What if I held the car on the clutch and accelerator. i think ive tried that but the car sometimes rolls forwards then?
    If your on your biting point and the hill isn't stupidly steep your car should hold still. Get some practice on an empty street. Just keep your foot on the brake and slowly lift the clutch up until the engine rev's drop a bit. And then move your foot off the brake, it should hold still, if it rolls back lift it up some more and if you move forward push it in a little.

ReputationRep:

Depends how much it rolls back. When I was learning my dad told me that once it's gone just past the biting point and you've got some acceleration to give it more. and then the roll back is minimal.

I wouldn't but other people probably would. Depends on the junction really, if it's open maybe, but if not then just stick the handbrake on or creep slowly with the clutch and brake. The handbrake is just a quick to take on and off as using the brake. I usually stick the handbrake on on a hill regardless of how much time there is till I move off again.

You could always ask your instructor and see what they say?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arron17)
    If your on your biting point and the hill isn't stupidly steep your car should hold still. Get some practice on an empty street. Just keep your foot on the brake and slowly lift the clutch up until the engine rev's drop a bit. And then move your foot off the brake, it should hold still, if it rolls back lift it up some more and if you move forward push it in a little.
    Well 3 lessons ago I switched cars. I was driving in a diesel before, but now I'm driving in a petrol. In the diesel I didn't have a problem most times, but it's since switching cars that the problem has arised.

The only problem I find is that, sometimes, I bring the clutch up too far and the car stalls. this makes me wary of bringing the clutch up, and i think is alot of the reason as to why i dont bring it up enough.

ReputationRep:
    Well 3 lessons ago I switched cars. I was driving in a diesel before, but now I'm driving in a petrol. In the diesel I didn't have a problem most times, but it's since switching cars that the problem has arised.

The only problem I find is that, sometimes, I bring the clutch up too far and the car stalls. this makes me wary of bringing the clutch up, and i think is alot of the reason as to why i dont bring it up enough.
    If you bring your clutch up slowly you'll be able to tell if the car is about to stall, as it will shake. So if it starts shaking push the pedal back down a little. I've driven in both petrol and diesel cars and I've never really noticed the difference in the clutch. I can quite comfortably set off with just the clutch in my petrol.

But i know what you mean with not wanting to stall. When i was learning i used to do a mix of either bringing the clutch up too quickly and stalling or hitting the get too hard and wheelspinning. After a while you just sort of gt used to it.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    It's just a matter of clutch control. You dip the clutch down (no need for the accelerator) until you feel you're at the point where the car is stationary. Then if you want to go, just add some gas and you will eventually get moving.

Clutch control is key, that's something you get better at once you get more experienced. There's no quick fix or quick solution to getting good at it overnight

ReputationRep:
    Just practice holding the car still with just the clutch alone on an empty street. It really isn't hard, it's just a matter of hand eye coordination, or in this case foot to eye coordination

If you feel the car slightly creeping forward, press down on the clutch a bit and the opposite is true vise versa.

ReputationRep:
    If you're on a hill and you need to get the clutch control going you need to find the right balance between how much you lift the clutch up by and how much you press down the accelerator - the reason it stalls when you lift up the clutch is because the accelerator isn't down enough so the car will just stall without enough revs.

So what you basically need to do is slowly lift up the clutch and press down the accelerator at the same time, once you've reached the right amount of revs you'll be able to drop the clutch to stop you from moving forward or lift it up to move forward without stalling. I had the same issue when switching from a diesel to petrol car because for some reason (I'm sure a car fanatic could tell you why) petrol cars need more revs to get the biting point than diesel cars.

Getting the clutch control sorted is probably the most difficult part about learning to drive but it comes over time.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.