Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I handed in my assignment and was told I had to re do one question! I seriously don't know how else or what else to write. HELP!

CASE STUDY - Steven, 37-year-old who is separated with two young children. He married ten years ago when given an ultimatum by his parents: ‘Get married or get out of the family business’. Steven describes his parents as very organised and controlling. Growing up, he did not feel heard or attended to. Instead he felt pressured into fulfilling his parents’ expectations. Steven entered adolescence, he explains, he decided to live two lives – the ‘saint’ and the ‘sinner’. At home he remained dutiful and adhered to the strict rules of the house. Once his parents were in bed however he climbed out of his bedroom window and went out to drink, smoke and engage in sexual activities. Steven is now in the process of getting a divorce. He identifies the contributors to the relationship breakdown as binge drinking, extra-marital sexual relations with a number of people over the years, and his incapacity to be sensitive to his partner’s needs for closeness.

Question: Briefly explain how Erik Erickson (psychologist) stages of development could help you understand and work with Steven.

My answer: It is obvious that Steven rebelled all through his adolescent years by engaging in disruptive activities such as sexual activity and drinking alcohol. This was his way of d
    ealing with his parent’s strict and controlling demands and expectations. In a normal life cycle, a person in the early stages of adulthood would be more interested in finding love and perhaps seeing that as a first priority but as expected it was not the case with Steven who was pressured by his parent’s ultimatum. As a result of all this, Stevens middle adulthood stage never got the chance to develop normally as he was too preoccupied with fulfilling other peoples need (his parents) other than his own needs and life goals.

How can I change that to be correct? That's as far as I can get but I don't want to fail.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.