Turn on thread page Beta

    Hi folks

    I have two OU degrees and can't stop, but a change in regulations means that financial awards are no
    longer made to existing graduates.

    I *really* want to do criminology, but how can I fund (or part fund) the course? Is there
    another source?

    TIA

    Nick Sheldon

    On Wed, 23 Jan 2002 23:46:37 -0000, "Nick Sheldon"
    <[email protected] emon.co.uk> wrote:

    [q1]>I *really* want to do criminology, but how can I fund (or part fund) the course? Is there[/q1]
    [q1]>another source?[/q1]

    As your preliminary studies should have told you: crime pays.

    nerkul

    You could try working! Some people get paid for it, and use some of their pay to fund OU studies.
    If you have 2 degrees already, the OU may be able to employ you. Have a look on the web site.
    Regards Carol

    --
    "Nick Sheldon" <[email protected] emon.co.uk> wrote in message
    news:1011829628.17594.0.nnrp-10.c1ed...ws.demon.co.uk...
    [q1]> Hi folks[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> I have two OU degrees and can't stop, but a change in regulations means[/q1]
    that
    [q1]> financial awards are no longer made to existing graduates.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> I *really* want to do criminology, but how can I fund (or part fund) the course? Is there[/q1]
    [q1]> another source?[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> TIA[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Nick Sheldon[/q1]

    On Wed, 23 Jan 2002 23:46:37 -0000, "Nick Sheldon"
    <[email protected] emon.co.uk> wrote:

    [q1]>Hi folks[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]>I have two OU degrees and can't stop, but a change in regulations means that financial awards are[/q1]
    [q1]>no longer made to existing graduates.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]>I *really* want to do criminology, but how can I fund (or part fund) the course? Is there[/q1]
    [q1]>another source?[/q1]

    You can apply to the OU hardship fund and see if they are willing to help, but I think that is
    unlikely considering your current position. If you *really* want to do more courses, then perhaps
    you should find some work to finance those courses.

    (I am actually hoping that this was a troll because I hate the idea of there being people out there
    in the world who are really this ignorant and selfish!! )

    Julie

    On Wed, 23 Jan 2002 23:46:37 -0000, Nick Sheldon <[email protected] emon.co.uk>
    wrote: ...
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> I *really* want to do criminology, but how can I fund (or part fund) the course? Is there[/q1]
    [q1]> another source?[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    ...

    Government ILAs? (Individual Learning Accounts). A search engine will tell you more.

    --
    Mark Hill - http://www.fero.uklinux.net - Email checked variably.

    On Thu, 24 Jan 2002 22:31:13 +0000 (UTC), Mark Hill <[email protected]> wrote:

    [q1]>On Wed, 23 Jan 2002 23:46:37 -0000, Nick Sheldon <[email protected] emon.co.uk>[/q1]
    [q1]>wrote: ...[/q1]
    [q2]>>[/q2]
    [q2]>> I *really* want to do criminology, but how can I fund (or part fund) the course? Is there another[/q2]
    [q2]>> source?[/q2]
    [q2]>>[/q2]
    [q1]>...[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]>Government ILAs? (Individual Learning Accounts). A search engine will tell you more.[/q1]

    Haven't these been suspended because of all the fraud? I mean, I could check for myself, but leaving
    it a question like that is easier.

    nerkul

    ILA's have been suspended because of fraud and overspending see computing on the 24th Jan 2002
    something to do with any traingin body being able to guess account numbers and secure the funding
    for nothing......

    Chris "bob nerkul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    [q1]> On Thu, 24 Jan 2002 22:31:13 +0000 (UTC), Mark Hill <[email protected]> wrote:[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q2]> >On Wed, 23 Jan 2002 23:46:37 -0000, Nick Sheldon <[email protected] emon.co.uk>[/q2]
    [q2]> >wrote: ...[/q2]
    [q2]> >>[/q2]
    [q2]> >> I *really* want to do criminology, but how can I fund (or part fund)[/q2]
    the
    [q2]> >> course? Is there another source?[/q2]
    [q2]> >>[/q2]
    [q2]> >...[/q2]
    [q2]> >[/q2]
    [q2]> >Government ILAs? (Individual Learning Accounts). A search engine will tell you more.[/q2]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Haven't these been suspended because of all the fraud? I mean, I could check for myself, but[/q1]
    [q1]> leaving it a question like that is easier.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> nerkul[/q1]

    Something to do with the stupidity of the government, IMHO. I also read the article in the Computing
    magazine, and you don't have to be very smart to incorporate decent security. Honestly, how could
    they be so stupid!

    -Rosie

    "c" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    [q1]> ILA's have been suspended because of fraud and overspending see computing[/q1]
    on
    [q1]> the 24th Jan 2002 something to do with any traingin body being able to[/q1]
    guess
    [q1]> account numbers and secure the funding for nothing......[/q1]

    On Thu, 24 Jan 2002 19:43:47 +0000, Julie <[email protected]> wrote:

    [q1]>On Wed, 23 Jan 2002 23:46:37 -0000, "Nick Sheldon"[/q1]
    [q1]><[email protected] demon.co.uk> wrote:[/q1]

    [q1]>You can apply to the OU hardship fund and see if they are willing to help, but I think that is[/q1]
    [q1]>unlikely considering your current position. If you *really* want to do more courses, then perhaps[/q1]
    [q1]>you should find some work to finance those courses.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]>(I am actually hoping that this was a troll because I hate the idea of there being people out there[/q1]
    [q1]>in the world who are really this ignorant and selfish!! )[/q1]

    I don't see what's wrong with hoping to get free education! Yes it may be entirely wishful thinking
    and not going to happen, but sheesh, you people act like he's evil just because he's looking for
    some cash to continue his education.

    For all you know he may have a job already!

    I for one have a job, but as I am partially disabled it is not a full time job, and I find it
    difficult to pay for as many courses as I'd like to take. So I can fully relate to his
    wishful thinking.

    Juliann

    On Fri, 25 Jan 2002 20:02:50 GMT, [email protected] (Juliann) wrote:

    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]>I don't see what's wrong with hoping to get free education![/q1]

    The OP already has 'an education'. He quite clearly stated that he already has *two* OU degrees.

    [q1]> Yes it may be entirely wishful thinking and not going to happen, but sheesh, you people act like[/q1]
    [q1]> he's evil just because he's looking for some cash to continue his education.[/q1]

    There are plenty of people that I know who are unable to get a single bit of financial help because
    they are just over the threshhold for OU study (which is set ridiculously low IMHO). Somebody who
    already has a degree has no right to expect to receive financing for another one, when that money
    could be going to people trying to get their first degree (and who are struggling financially to do
    just that). Why should tax-payers have to fund someone who already has an education to a level that
    many can't afford for themselves or their kids?
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]>For all you know he may have a job already![/q1]

    Then he should stop scrounging and pay for his own courses!

    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]>I for one have a job, but as I am partially disabled it is not a full time job, and I find it[/q1]
    [q1]>difficult to pay for as many courses as I'd like to take. So I can fully relate to his wishful[/q1]
    [q1]>thinking.[/q1]

    Exactly, it's wishful thinking. There is no such thing as a free ride but too many people seem
    to want one.

    Julie

    On Sat, 26 Jan 2002 01:11:20 +0000, Julie <[email protected]> wrote:

    [q1]>On Fri, 25 Jan 2002 20:02:50 GMT, [email protected] (Juliann) wrote:[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q2]>>[/q2]
    [q2]>>I don't see what's wrong with hoping to get free education![/q2]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]>The OP already has 'an education'. He quite clearly stated that he already has *two* OU degrees.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]

    Education is a lifelong process. I never said "An" education. I'm on my 4th degree myself, because
    circumstances (ie my new disability) make my previous degrees less than useful for finding a job to
    suit my new physical limitations.

    [q1]>degree (and who are struggling financially to do just that). Why should tax-payers have to[/q1]
    [q1]>fund someone who already has an education to a level that many can't afford for themselves or[/q1]
    [q1]>their kids?[/q1]

    There are non-tax-payer resources, some by private scholarship. He was enquiring for ALL possible
    sources, you recall.

    [q2]>>For all you know he may have a job already![/q2]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]>Then he should stop scrounging and pay for his own courses![/q1]

    And if he is barely making enough to cover his expenses he should give up all hope of further study?
    You're villifying him for a question, without knowing the situation.

    [q2]>>[/q2]
    [q2]>>I for one have a job, but as I am partially disabled it is not a full time job, and I find it[/q2]
    [q2]>>difficult to pay for as many courses as I'd like to take. So I can fully relate to his wishful[/q2]
    [q2]>>thinking.[/q2]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]>Exactly, it's wishful thinking. There is no such thing as a free ride but too many people seem to[/q1]
    [q1]>want one.[/q1]

    There are such things as free rides, if you are lucky enough to find them. I have been offered more
    than one all expenses paid degree at American universities (I am American, I know all too well about
    paying for one's own education as I have paid over $120K for what I have so far). And that was NOT a
    taxpayer supported grant, it was internal scholarships from private universities. I also got all of
    my tuition (but not living expenses) for my first degree paid for by a merit scholarship at a
    private university. So there ARE opportunities out there.

    Juliann

    On Sat, 26 Jan 2002 12:38:45 GMT, [email protected] (Juliann) wrote:

    [q1]>On Sat, 26 Jan 2002 01:11:20 +0000, Julie <[email protected]> wrote:[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q2]>>On Fri, 25 Jan 2002 20:02:50 GMT, [email protected] (Juliann) wrote:[/q2]
    [q2]>>[/q2]
    [q3]>>>[/q3]
    [q3]>>>I don't see what's wrong with hoping to get free education![/q3]
    [q2]>>[/q2]
    [q2]>>The OP already has 'an education'. He quite clearly stated that he already has *two* OU degrees.[/q2]
    [q2]>>[/q2]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]>Education is a lifelong process. I never said "An" education. I'm on my 4th degree myself, because[/q1]
    [q1]>circumstances (ie my new disability) make my previous degrees less than useful for finding a job to[/q1]
    [q1]>suit my new physical limitations.[/q1]

    I cannot see how having three degrees <sic> would stop somebody getting a job, unless those degrees
    were in totally useless subjects.
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q2]>>degree (and who are struggling financially to do just that). Why should tax-payers have to[/q2]
    [q2]>>fund someone who already has an education to a level that many can't afford for themselves or[/q2]
    [q2]>>their kids?[/q2]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]>There are non-tax-payer resources, some by private scholarship. He was enquiring for ALL possible[/q1]
    [q1]>sources, you recall.[/q1]

    I do 'recall', and I also pointed out that the OP had no right to ask for more financial help. He
    has received enough help getting his first two degrees, and has no right to ask for more. I did also
    mention the OU hardship fund, with the caveat that he probably wouldn't have any luck with it.
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q3]>>>For all you know he may have a job already![/q3]
    [q2]>>[/q2]
    [q2]>>Then he should stop scrounging and pay for his own courses![/q2]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]>And if he is barely making enough to cover his expenses he should give up all hope of further[/q1]
    [q1]>study? You're villifying him for a question, without knowing the situation.[/q1]

    What about the other people I mentioned who are barely making enough to cover their study expenses?
    'Private scholarships' don't exist in the UK for OU students.
    [q3]>>>[/q3]
    [q3]>>>I for one have a job, but as I am partially disabled it is not a full time job, and I find it[/q3]
    [q3]>>>difficult to pay for as many courses as I'd like to take. So I can fully relate to his wishful[/q3]
    [q3]>>>thinking.[/q3]
    [q2]>>[/q2]
    [q2]>>Exactly, it's wishful thinking. There is no such thing as a free ride but too many people seem to[/q2]
    [q2]>>want one.[/q2]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]>There are such things as free rides, if you are lucky enough to find them. I have been offered more[/q1]
    [q1]>than one all expenses paid degree at American universities (I am American, I know all too well[/q1]
    [q1]>about paying for one's own education as I have paid over $120K for what I have so far). And that[/q1]
    [q1]>was NOT a taxpayer supported grant, it was internal scholarships from private universities. I also[/q1]
    [q1]>got all of my tuition (but not living expenses) for my first degree paid for by a merit scholarship[/q1]
    [q1]>at a private university. So there ARE opportunities out there.[/q1]

    Well, admitting you are from the US explains a lot. If I'd known that when I read your original post
    I would have realised that you came from the land of 'expect to get given everything and complain if
    that doesn't happen'. Free rides seem to be expected by most US posters I've met online, and you are
    obviously no exception. Also, you obviously are not a UK tax-payer, and you are therefore not
    entitled to be a part of this argument. I would never presume to comment on US tax laws because it
    would just be total arrogance. You are either arrogant or stupid, I haven't yet made up my mind.

    Julie

    On Sun, 27 Jan 2002 07:27:00 +0000, Julie <[email protected]> wrote:

    [q1]>I cannot see how having three degrees <sic> would stop somebody getting a job, unless those degrees[/q1]
    [q1]>were in totally useless subjects.[/q1]

    The person might not want a job. And why should they? Utilitarianism has been, and will continue
    to be, mocked by the march of technology. We're fat and rich and can learn for leisure. I want
    slave girls.

    [q2]>>There are non-tax-payer resources, some by private scholarship. He was enquiring for ALL possible[/q2]
    [q2]>>sources, you recall.[/q2]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]>I do 'recall', and I also pointed out that the OP had no right to ask for more financial help. He[/q1]
    [q1]>has received enough help getting his first two degrees, and has no right to ask for more.[/q1]

    I haven't checked, but I strongly suspect that funding for OU (and British education in general) is
    flexible enough that more takers won't change the average freebieness. It's all still Government
    budgetted, isn't it (though increasingly less their own money)? It's like Benefits: they calculate a
    minimum living allowance and give that to everyone who doesn't earn it otherwise, independent of
    number of applicants. So the people "barely making enough to cover their expenses" (note that they
    are, by definition, making enough to cover their expenses) would not gain from lack of competition.
    I've no evidence for this, but it sounds closer to the truth.

    nerkul

    On Sun, 27 Jan 2002 07:27:00 +0000, Julie <[email protected]> wrote:

    I'm not even going to respond to the rest of this drivel.

    Also, you
    [q1]>obviously are not a UK tax-payer, and you are therefore not entitled to be a part of this argument.[/q1]

    Actually you are wrong. I've been a UK taxpayer all of my working life.

    Stop assuming.

    Juliann

    Now now kiddies, play nice!

    Michelle (in England)

    = Good programmers do not comment their code. It was hard to write should be hard to read!

    LOL "michelle lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    [q1]> Now now kiddies, play nice![/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Michelle (in England)[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> = Good programmers do not comment their code. It was hard to write should be hard to read![/q1]

    and makes it harder to rip off!
 
 
 
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reply
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.