My 22 year old boyfriend already has two tattoos- one is a skull and the other a tribal pattern.
I don't generally have a problem with tattoos. Even though I wouldn't get one myself and don't think the skull is particularly tasteful, it honestly doesn't bother me and I barely even think about them. However- he recently told me he wants his whole back and a bit of his chest covered in tattoos :/ I'm not quite sure how to feel about this.
Admittedly, I'd probably just get used to them after a while as I accepted they were there. But I still feel a bit uneasy about the whole thing, for the following reasons-
1. I love his body just the way it is. Don't see why he wants to cover it up with loads of ink.
2. I feel like his taste in tattoos is kind of weird. Just saying, i don't want to wake up cuddled into his chest, only to say good morning to a collaboration of skulls and flames and stuff.
3. I'm worried he becomes a tattoo addict.
4. Tattoos are expensive. We're saving to go on holiday together, but half his savings are probably going to go on tattoos.
5. What if he refrets having them done when he's older?
Although, despite the above, I do understand that tattoos are an art form and a way of self-expression. And I also appreciate that is is his body not mine and understand that he may just really like tattoos, and i'd be a really bad girlfriend if I kick up a fuss about it :/ I just don't want to see my boyfriend's body gradually become hidden under a sea of tattoos, that is the main issue.
Anyone else in the same boat? Am I being silly? Or is this a fair way for me to feel?
How to feel about boyfriend's tattoos Watch
- Thread Starter
- 13-05-2013 19:29
- 13-05-2013 19:41
It's a difficult one - or at least dealing with it sensitively is.
I don't think you are being silly. I am not keen on tattoos myself and I would probably be put off if someone I fancied turned out to be completely inked up or expressed a desire to be so. On a completely shallow level (we are all shallow to some extent) I just don't think they look nice. On a more practical level they do cost money.
I think you should talk to your boyfriend. Explain that you like how him how he is. See what he says, and depending upon his answer you'll have to decide what course of action to take.