Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My 22 year old boyfriend already has two tattoos- one is a skull and the other a tribal pattern.

I don't generally have a problem with tattoos. Even though I wouldn't get one myself and don't think the skull is particularly tasteful, it honestly doesn't bother me and I barely even think about them. However- he recently told me he wants his whole back and a bit of his chest covered in tattoos :/ I'm not quite sure how to feel about this.

Admittedly, I'd probably just get used to them after a while as I accepted they were there. But I still feel a bit uneasy about the whole thing, for the following reasons-
    1. I love his body just the way it is. Don't see why he wants to cover it up with loads of ink.
    2. I feel like his taste in tattoos is kind of weird. Just saying, i don't want to wake up cuddled into his chest, only to say good morning to a collaboration of skulls and flames and stuff.
    3. I'm worried he becomes a tattoo addict.
    4. Tattoos are expensive. We're saving to go on holiday together, but half his savings are probably going to go on tattoos.
    5. What if he refrets having them done when he's older?

Although, despite the above, I do understand that tattoos are an art form and a way of self-expression. And I also appreciate that is is his body not mine and understand that he may just really like tattoos, and i'd be a really bad girlfriend if I kick up a fuss about it :/ I just don't want to see my boyfriend's body gradually become hidden under a sea of tattoos, that is the main issue.

Anyone else in the same boat? Am I being silly? Or is this a fair way for me to feel?

ReputationRep:
    It's a difficult one - or at least dealing with it sensitively is.

I don't think you are being silly. I am not keen on tattoos myself and I would probably be put off if someone I fancied turned out to be completely inked up or expressed a desire to be so. On a completely shallow level (we are all shallow to some extent) I just don't think they look nice. On a more practical level they do cost money.

I think you should talk to your boyfriend. Explain that you like how him how he is. See what he says, and depending upon his answer you'll have to decide what course of action to take.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 13, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.