Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hiya!

I was curious to know what you think is the best vetmed uni in the UK?

RVC to me seems like a fantastic uni but others disagree. Cambridge is also known to be a top uni for vetmed, but researching on the course it seems more onto the theory and veterinary science side of things.

Looking at league table, I always get different rankings.

So if you're applying or thinking of applying to vetmed for 2014, what will be your top choice and last choice?

Also what do you think about the new Surrey Veterinary School?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by TheChupaChump)
    Hiya!

I was curious to know what you think is the best vetmed uni in the UK?

RVC to me seems like a fantastic uni but others disagree. Cambridge is also known to be a top uni for vetmed, but researching on the course it seems more onto the theory and veterinary science side of things.

Looking at league table, I always get different rankings.

So if you're applying or thinking of applying to vetmed for 2014, what will be your top choice and last choice?

Also what do you think about the new Surrey Veterinary School?
    ALL the Universities produce brilliants vets and all are Russell group unis and there is high employability for vets in general. There is no such thing as the "best" uni. They are all different, and often for applicants, it's more a case of who picks them rather than the other way around - at the end of the day you will go to wherever you get an offer, unless you get a choice of more than one which is bonus.

Cambridge is more heavy on theory or so they say, and some of their graduates seem at a slight disadvantage in terms of practical skills following graduation (as admitted my Cam vets who I've done work experience with). However, I am sure they catch up as I have meet some highly respected Cambridge vets in practise who are doing quite well for themselves.

Surrey is yet to be tried and tested so I don't think anyone can comment on their successes or shortcomings yet.

League tables change quite dramatically from year to year and also between newspapers so need to be taken with a very large pinch of salt. You're better off going to open days to get a better idea of what each uni offers.

ReputationRep:
    Think of it this way, all of the veterinary medicine universities are VERY prestigious

They all have their pros and cons so it really is about what you're looking for and what you hope to gain from your degree
    I'm at RVC so im a little biased but i think its a great uni. If you want to be in london then it's very central and you'll have the whole of london on your door step for your first two years before you move to the other campus. I wanted to go to liverpool but didnt get in. Liverpool if you havent been is a wonderful city which i really like, a lot smaller than london and more laid back, the docks are a great place to go and it also has great shopping centres. Academically they are all really good though

What i will say is from talking to owners of vets practices, and lecturers from various unis, Cambridge vets tend to be a bit of a weird thing. Don't get me wrong a degree from there will get you employed but many practices dont like to take on new grads from cambridge because they don't come out with as well developed 'day one skills' as from the other universities. It's all to do with how practical the course is. A cambridge vet new grad hasn't had as much practical experience than the other universities but their book knowledge would be second to none.

Best thing to do is go look around each and see which you like best, don't be drawn in by offers of free laptops or tablets though as these have fallen through in the past. Location is pretty important as you'll have to live there for 5 years so factor it in too

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.