Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I've been doing a few questions from the text book and I'm not sure how to complete them. If someone could offer some help, that would be very much appreciated! In the images attached, I have written the question on the top of the page, and my working at the bottom part.

With Q20, I have checked the expansion with the answers and it is correct. However I am not sure what to do to find dy/dx. I can't see the relationship between what I found with dy/dx.

With Q27, the first part is correct. However to find the area R, you need the limits in terms of x right? However, we are given x = 4 and y= 1. I'm finding it difficult to convert this back into x? And I can't do part iii) as it relies on my finding the limits for the volume of revolution.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bazinga?)
    For the first q, note that all but the second term, when differentiated term by term will be 0.

The second, sub y = 1 into the equation given and solve for x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joostan)
    For the first q, note that all but the second term, when differentiated term by term will be 0.

The second, sub y = 1 into the equation given and solve for x
    For Q1, to clarify something, but the expansion (2 + 1/2x - 3/4x^2 + 17/8x^3) is essentially equal to y right? So you would just differentiate it as per usual?

For 2, so that means I have to do 1 = 2/[(x-1)(x-3)] ? Wouldn't I get a quadratic equation? Which means there would be several answers?

ReputationRep:
    For Q1, to clarify something, but the expansion (2 + 1/2x - 3/4x^2 + 17/8x^3) is essentially equal to y right? So you would just differentiate it as per usual?
    In essence, yues - sub in x=0 and all the terms of the expansion (except one) will be equal 0 too.
    For 2, so that means I have to do 1 = 2/[(x-1)(x-3)] ? Wouldn't I get a quadratic equation? Which means there would be several answers?
    It would help if I could see the region R - I'm assuming that there are some limitations imposed upon it?

ReputationRep:
    In essence, yues - sub in x=0 and all the terms of the expansion (except one) will be equal 0 too.

It would help if I could see the region R - I'm assuming that there are some limitations imposed upon it?
    For the second question, I've written out all of the information that I am given. Unfortunately there isn't a graph to accompany it! So no limitations either.

ReputationRep:
    For the second question, I've written out all of the information that I am given. Unfortunately there isn't a graph to accompany it! So no limitations either.
    There are two points where y=1. However there is an asymptote between one of the points where y =1, so we see that \ x =2+\sqrt{3} for there to be a defined integral.

Also on your part c) you need to check your - signs

ReputationRep:
    There are two points where y=1. However there is an asymptote between one of the points where y =1, so we see that \ x =2+\sqrt{3} for there to be a defined integral.

Also on your part c) you need to check your - signs
    When you do 1/4 = 2/(x-1)(x-3), don't you get x^2 - 4x - 5 = 0 when simplified? So when you factorise, you get x = 5 or x = -1? I'm assuming we take x = -1 as it is the lower bound, but why can't you use the other value?

I'm a bit confused as I didn't get x = 2 square root 3 for either solution :/

ReputationRep:
    When you do 1/4 = 2/(x-1)(x-3), don't you get x^2 - 4x - 5 = 0 when simplified? So when you factorise, you get x = 5 or x = -1? I'm assuming we take x = -1 as it is the lower bound, but why can't you use the other value?

I'm a bit confused as I didn't get x = 2 square root 3 for either solution :/
    Where did the \frac{1}{4} come from?
    Allow me to refer you to wolfram.

ReputationRep:
    Where did the \frac{1}{4} come from?
    Allow me to refer you to wolfram.
    Oops, I just realised that I copied down the question wrong. The line is suppose to say, "The finite region bounded by the curve with equation y=... and the lines x=4 and y=1/4 is denoted by R". Sorry!

In this case, x=5 or -1.

ReputationRep:
    Oops, I just realised that I copied down the question wrong. The line is suppose to say, "The finite region bounded by the curve with equation y=... and the lines x=4 and y=1/4 is denoted by R". Sorry!

In this case, x=5 or -1.
    In which case there are two asymptotes present between 4 and -1.
    So the solution x = 5 must be the other limit

ReputationRep:
    In which case there are two asymptotes present between 4 and -1.
    So the solution x = 5 must be the other limit
    How do you know that there is an asymptote present in the graph? And how did you deduce that there are two asymptotes between 4 and -1?

ReputationRep:
    How do you know that there is an asymptote present in the graph? And how did you deduce that there are two asymptotes between 4 and -1?
    You cannot divide by zero.
    Inspect the function, and see where x causes you to divide by 0.

ReputationRep:
    You cannot divide by zero.
    Inspect the function, and see where x causes you to divide by 0.
    Thank you for your help, it's very much appreciated!

Would you mind taking a look at these two questions? (They're the last two I promise!)

With Q11, I'm really not sure what to do, I guess I see that when x = 10 then x^4 + 4 = 10004. But I don't really understand the question.

With Q18, what does it mean by 'when x is large'? I've always been confused when they say things like this, like in binomial expansion questions, they sometimes say, 'when x is small find the expansion...'- what does this mean? So back to this question, I don't really understand what to do for part b

ReputationRep:
    x
    No problem
    First q, you guessed corrctly, you just need to factorise the quartic, sub in x=10
    Second q, consider what happens to \dfrac{2x +3}{x^2 + x+1}
    when x gets very large

ReputationRep:
    No problem
    First q, you guessed corrctly, you just need to factorise the quartic, sub in x=10
    Second q, consider what happens to \dfrac{2x +3}{x^2 + x+1}
    when x gets very large
    Er back to 27 (I just tried the integration), so I integrated 1/(x-3) - 1/(x-1) with limits of 5 and 4. So I ended up with [ln|x-3| - ln|x-1|]5 and 4 so...

ln|2| - ln|4| - (ln|1| - ln|3|) = ln1.5? Whereas in the question it says show that the area of R is ln3/2 - 1/4? Where does the 1/4 come from?

For 11, when you say factorise the quartic, do you mean x^4 + 4 = (x^2 + 2x + 2)(x^2 - 2x + 2)? Surely that's the same as subbing in x=10 into the quartic?

For 18. I think I understand it now, as when x is very large, then 2x-3 / x^2+x+1 tends to infinity. As a result, the graph is equal to x^2 - 3x + 2?

One final thing, in binomial expansions, they sometimes say, "If x is small compared to a, expand ...", what does the "if x is small" bit mean?

ReputationRep:
    Er back to 27 (I just tried the integration), so I integrated 1/(x-3) - 1/(x-1) with limits of 5 and 4. So I ended up with [ln|x-3| - ln|x-1|]5 and 4 so...

ln|2| - ln|4| - (ln|1| - ln|3|) = ln1.5? Whereas in the question it says show that the area of R is ln3/2 - 1/4? Where does the 1/4 come from?

For 11, when you say factorise the quartic, do you mean x^4 + 4 = (x^2 + 2x + 2)(x^2 - 2x + 2)? Surely that's the same as subbing in x=10 into the quartic?

For 18. I think I understand it now, as when x is very large, then 2x-3 / x^2+x+1 tends to infinity. As a result, the graph is equal to x^2 - 3x + 2?

One final thing, in binomial expansions, they sometimes say, "If x is small compared to a, expand ...", what does the "if x is small" bit mean?
    27) You need to subtract  1 \times \frac{1}{4} can you see why?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    y=1, yet you integrated the whole area down to y=0

11) In essence yes, I hadn't checked to see if it factorised further.

18) Not quite, the added bit tends to 0.

For the expansion to be justified:
     |x| <1 I think that's basically what they're saying.

ReputationRep:
    27) You need to subtract  1 \times \frac{1}{4} can you see why?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    y=1, yet you integrated the whole area down to y=0

11) In essence yes, I hadn't checked to see if it factorised further.

18) Not quite, the added bit tends to 0.

For the expansion to be justified:
     |x| <1 I think that's basically what they're saying.
    For the first one, I basically found R + 1/4 as the difference is 1/4 (in y) and 1 in x. So I subtract 1/4 to get R? ...This question is full of tricks! However, how do you know that the 'extra bit' is 1/4? What if the graph looks like this? :

Uploaded with ImageShack.us Wouldn't it mean that the 'extra bit' is less than 1/4? I understand that the maximum area is 1/4...but it could be less?

Okay thanks, I understand 11/18/binomial bit now.

ReputationRep:
    For the first one, I basically found R + 1/4 as the difference is 1/4 (in y) and 1 in x. So I subtract 1/4 to get R? ...This question is full of tricks! However, how do you know that the 'extra bit' is 1/4? What if the graph looks like this? :
    It doesn't look like that, it looks like this.
    Personally, I think it's mean to set a question like this, but it should be obvious that it's underneath, as the function is positive here, so the area must be too.
    \ (5-4) \times \frac{1}{4}
    Spoiler:
    Show
    The area of a rectangle with height 1/4 as y=1/4 and width of the integral.

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't look like that, it looks like this.
    Personally, I think it's mean to set a question like this, but it should be obvious that it's underneath, as the function is positive here, so the area must be too.
    \ (5-4) \times \frac{1}{4}
    Spoiler:
    Show
    The area of a rectangle with height 1/4 as y=1/4 and width of the integral.
    (I was just drawing a random curve by the way!) That makes much more sense now, I suppose if I can do these harder questions, then I should be able to tackle the harder exam questions!

I'm having a bit of trouble with part c. So with this, it is just a typical volume of revolution question, so you do pi multiplied by the integral of y^2? When it says rotated by 2pi radians about the x-axis, is this basically saying rotation by 360o? So I shouldn't need to factor that in my working?

Here's my working, I'm not sure where I have gone wrong...as the answer is supposed to be pi(25/48 - ln3/2)

ReputationRep:
    (I was just drawing a random curve by the way!) That makes much more sense now, I suppose if I can do these harder questions, then I should be able to tackle the harder exam questions!

I'm having a bit of trouble with part c. So with this, it is just a typical volume of revolution question, so you do pi multiplied by the integral of y^2? When it says rotated by 2pi radians about the x-axis, is this basically saying rotation by 360o? So I shouldn't need to factor that in my working?

Here's my working, I'm not sure where I have gone wrong...as the answer is supposed to be pi(25/48 - ln3/2)
    You need to subtract a volume - what do you think this is?
    and yes to the bold, you have to the underlined.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.