The Student Room Group

Mr M's OCR (not OCR MEI) Core 1 Answers May 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Niltiac1
Thanks for posting answers, thought the paper was quite nice bar a few of the last ones!

For 6i) finding the radius I put root 40 and left it as that as I considered putting into simplified sure sure form but left it as it didn't say that in the question. How many marks do you think will I lose for it? 0,1 or 2?

Root 40 is fine.
Original post by Niltiac1
Thanks for posting answers, thought the paper was quite nice bar a few of the last ones!

For 6i) finding the radius I put root 40 and left it as that as I considered putting into simplified sure sure form but left it as it didn't say that in the question. How many marks do you think will I lose for it? 0,1 or 2?

That's fine.
Original post by Paribas01
Mr M,
For question 9iii the one where you had to find the distance between the points, I stupidly forgot to put the quadratic formula over 2a, and instead put it over 2. Apart from that my method is completely correct. Could you please tell me how many marks I would have lost for that.
Your help would be appreciated.
Thanks

I can't remember now as I have thrown the paper away but you will lose all the marks for that skill of solving that quadratic.
Reply 363
Original post by Mr M
See two posts up from your post.

THANKS
Reply 364
who's doing c2 on fri?
Reply 365
Hi Mr M, just a few quick questions about silly mistakes I made in this exam.

6. (i) Centre and radius (3 (3 marks): If I left out the negative sign on the y coordinate by accident making (0,4) and also for some reason added 16 and 24 to make sqrt 32, how many marks would I lose?

9. (iii) (4 marks): Here I mistakenly wrote 9/2 as 9/4 for the final answer, although my calculations were correct up to this error. How many marks would I lose here?

Thank you :smile:
Original post by Clohe34
Hi Mr M, just a few quick questions about silly mistakes I made in this exam.

6. (i) Centre and radius (3 (3 marks): If I left out the negative sign on the y coordinate by accident making (0,4) and also for some reason added 16 and 24 to make sqrt 32, how many marks would I lose?

9. (iii) (4 marks): Here I mistakenly wrote 9/2 as 9/4 for the final answer, although my calculations were correct up to this error. How many marks would I lose here?

Thank you :smile:

6) drop 2

9) drop 1
Reply 367
Original post by Mr M
6) drop 2

9) drop 1

Thank you very much :smile:
Reply 368
in 7 (ii) we would lose a mark if we didn't write the equal to or greater than and wrote just greater than (and vice versa for the less than) wouldnt we? :frown:
Original post by IGCSE
I know nobody knows the grade boundaries but would 71/72 get 100 UMS?

If its 59 or over to get an a, nope

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 370
Mr M,

For the final part of the last question I expanded the brackets with k as -5 then dy dx and put it equal to 9. I then took across the 9 and got 3x^2+9x+10 then then solved that and obviously got the incorrect answer. How many mark might I gain? thank you very much.
Reply 371
has anyone got the paper yet?
Reply 372
Original post by Dugald
has anyone got the paper yet?

Page 18
Reply 373
I made two minor mistakes will this cost me any marks...
1. For the graph question i drew the graph and labelled the points eg. along X axis under relevant crossing -1.5 and 2 instead of (-1.5,0) (2,0) will this loose marks?
2. For the differentiation questions i wrote eg. 36x^-4 instead of 36/x^4
Many thanks!
Original post by Clare2012
I made two minor mistakes will this cost me any marks...
1. For the graph question i drew the graph and labelled the points eg. along X axis under relevant crossing -1.5 and 2 instead of (-1.5,0) (2,0) will this loose marks?
2. For the differentiation questions i wrote eg. 36x^-4 instead of 36/x^4
Many thanks!

I think you're fine on both
Reply 375
will 70/72 be full ums?
Reply 376
Original post by a10
will 70/72 be full ums?

Not likely it's normally 72/72 at c1 if the A grade boundary is low it might happen. adding twice the difference between an A and B is the rough estimate for 100 UMS

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 377
Original post by Goods
Not likely it's normally 72/72 at c1 if the A grade boundary is low it might happen. adding twice the difference between an A and B is the rough estimate for 100 UMS

Posted from TSR Mobile

judging from the exam it seems people struggled on the last question and on the "find k" question so im praying they reduce it a little bit...
Reply 378
Original post by Mr M
6) drop 2

9) drop 1

Mr M,

For the final part of the last question I expanded the brackets with k as -5 then dy dx and put it equal to 9. I then took across the 9 and got 3x^2+9x+10 then then solved that and obviously got the incorrect answer. How many mark might I gain? thank you very much.
How many marks do you think I would lose for the following mistakes:
4.iii. Discriminant = - 41 - Arithmetic slip
7.ii. There is a chance I may have written the less than / equal signs as greater than / equal signs, but I stated in words that x was between 0 and 5 and had done the working necessary to justify that conclusion
8. 6x + 2y -5 = 0 - Assuming +/- slip from the y - y1 = m (x - x1) section

Thanks in advance

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending