Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Mandatory work activity pointless? Watch

ReputationRep:
    The jobcentre has referred me to a company to do 4 weeks unpaid work activity because they think it's lack of experience holding me back from finding employment. Tbh I haven't been searching as well as I could have as I've had other issues to deal with but I do know that a lack of experience does generally hinder people looking for work. What I'm unsure of however is the usefulness of this mandatory work (unpaid) in making me seem more appealing to employers relative to the other applicants. If

If its the case now that when applying for a job its my lack of experience letting me down (relative to other applicants obviously) then what will change after a mere 4 weeks unpaid work? Ill still be inexperienced compared to most of the other applicants and even if they haven't held a proper job, the use of this scheme will mean that job seekers will be on an even playing field regarding experience (again) and it will still be the other things on one' CV that determine whether you get a job.

Basically, I think this is a useless waste of time and is an attempt by the Government to make it look like they're doing something productive to help the unemployed back into work and yet have failed to consider the fact that it probably helps a tiny percentage of people, if that. What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theonefrombrum)
    The jobcentre has referred me to a company to do 4 weeks unpaid work activity because they think it's lack of experience holding me back from finding employment. Tbh I haven't been searching as well as I could have as I've had other issues to deal with but I do know that a lack of experience does generally hinder people looking for work. What I'm unsure of however is the usefulness of this mandatory work (unpaid) in making me seem more appealing to employers relative to the other applicants. If

If its the case now that when applying for a job its my lack of experience letting me down (relative to other applicants obviously) then what will change after a mere 4 weeks unpaid work? Ill still be inexperienced compared to most of the other applicants and even if they haven't held a proper job, the use of this scheme will mean that job seekers will be on an even playing field regarding experience (again) and it will still be the other things on one' CV that determine whether you get a job.

Basically, I think this is a useless waste of time and is an attempt by the Government to make it look like they're doing something productive to help the unemployed back into work and yet have failed to consider the fact that it probably helps a tiny percentage of people, if that. What do you think?

Whilst I think it's great that you are doing something productive ( though you may have already been )

Forcing someone to work is completely wrong in my opinion and it's made even worse by the government forcing you to work. So I sympathize with you and don't agree with the policy.

Overall whilst not completely satisfied with the governments approach to unemployment, I think they are making more progress than labour would. Espically in areas such as supply side reform, areas which labour most likely would not persue policy.

Overall I'm pleased - but I agree with you on this issue

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theonefrombrum)
    You have it spot on.

Tell them you don't want to go and to do something proper for you and find you a paid job instead of that waste of time.

ReputationRep:
    If I was unemployed I'd be grateful just to have something to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LexiswasmyNexis)
    Not for free, I'd tell them they can keep that.

No-one should work for free anymore.

ReputationRep:
    4 weeks is not long. If they ask you to work for free for 3 months or something like that, that would be very questionable. Those 4 weeks might lead to you getting a job, and it might be a job you can cope with. Just see how you go for the first week or two, and if you find the work not to your liking then simply slack off. Just don't do any work. You don't get penalised for not working, but only if you don't turn up to go to the job.

Just turn up and act disinterested. Go to the toilet often and stay in there for some time. Occasionally take longer on your lunch break. Ask them if you could leave early because you have an important appointment. Make something up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ufo2012)
    Not for free, I'd tell them they can keep that.

No-one should work for free anymore.
    It isn't really for free, though is it? It just so happens that the state pays, not the 'employer'.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This is just more nonsense. As if the unemployed have nothing to do?!

ReputationRep:
    It isn't really for free, though is it? It just so happens that the state pays, not the 'employer'.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The state doesn't pay for work done. Tax payer's money should not go to provide relief for companies who want free labour. The reason that unemployed people get unemployment benefit is to prevent them from starvation and to keep them from living on the streets.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Martyn*)
    This is just more nonsense. As if the unemployed have nothing to do?!
    I'm just saying how I'd feel. I've been unemployed for a short time and even after a week I was volunteering just to provide a change from applications etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The state doesn't pay for work done. Tax payer's money should not go to provide relief for companies who want free labour. The reason that unemployed people get unemployment benefit is to prevent them from starvation and to keep them from living on the streets.
    Maybe. Nevertheless, the OP will receive money from somewhere in return for doing work.

The suggestion was that they were working for 'free'.

The company does get free labour, but the should and should not of that are somewhat separated from the OP's position.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Maybe. Nevertheless, the OP will receive money from somewhere in return for doing work.

The suggestion was that they were working for 'free'.

The company does get free labour, but the should and should not of that are somewhat separated from the OP's position.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No he won't. He would get that money if he was doing no work at all.

ReputationRep:
    I'm just saying how I'd feel. I've been unemployed for a short time and even after a week I was volunteering just to provide a change from applications etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    OK.

ReputationRep:
    No he won't. He would get that money if he was doing no work at all.
    Not under this policy- would he not face sanction if he refuses?

Taking part in these schemes are a condition of receiving the welfare. It might not be fair, but it is what it is. Personally, I think those taking part in the schemes should be rewarded in some way.

I just don't really see why OP would not just make the most of the opportunity even of they don't see its relevance. It could lead to a job. It might make them see that previously dismissed areas are more attractive. Successful completion will show a potential employer that they are still capable of 9-5 or whatever.

Employers are short-sighted, fickle and risk averse. A big gap leads to doubts about willingness, capability, attendance etc. Having done some retail recruitment and taken on the unemployed, I know that those prejudices are not always unfounded.

The attitude that it is a big waste of time annoys me; trying and failing to get a job is just as big a waste of time.

Yes, these benefits are there as a safety net, but they aren't free to society. Anything that could conceivably help to get the unemployed back to work should be tried.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Not under this policy- would he not face sanction if he refuses?

Taking part in these schemes are a condition of receiving the welfare. It might not be fair, but it is what it is. Personally, I think those taking part in the schemes should be rewarded in some way.

I just don't really see why OP would not just make the most of the opportunity even of they don't see its relevance. It could lead to a job. It might make them see that previously dismissed areas are more attractive. Successful completion will show a potential employer that they are still capable of 9-5 or whatever.

Employers are short-sighted, fickle and risk averse. A big gap leads to doubts about willingness, capability, attendance etc. Having done some retail recruitment and taken on the unemployed, I know that those prejudices are not always unfounded.

The attitude that it is a big waste of time annoys me; trying and failing to get a job is just as big a waste of time.

Yes, these benefits are there as a safety net, but they aren't free to society. Anything that could conceivably help to get the unemployed back to work should be tried.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That is beside the point. He would be getting money regardless of whether he worked or not. The fact that the scheme is mandatory is a separate issue.

ReputationRep:
    Iron Lady's Tip for the Day: it's only a waste of time if you have the wrong attitude

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    If that were true they should be receiving at least the minimum wage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thriftworks)
    Whilst I think it's great that you are doing something productive ( though you may have already been )

Forcing someone to work is completely wrong in my opinion and it's made even worse by the government forcing you to work. So I sympathize with you and don't agree with the policy.

Overall whilst not completely satisfied with the governments approach to unemployment, I think they are making more progress than labour would. Espically in areas such as supply side reform, areas which labour most likely would not persue policy.

Overall I'm pleased - but I agree with you on this issue
    They're not forcing him at all, but he has to be willing to work if he wants benefits.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bronco2012)
    They're not forcing him at all, but he has to be willing to work if he wants benefits.
    Fine, but it isn't much a choice.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would imagine though that you were volunteering either in a position which is relevant to your particular situation (training, career ambitions) or a position which was helping a good cause (ie charity work) - rather than an unrelated company using your labor leading to them not employing someone else seeking a job. The government scheme can still be useful imo, but it also has negatives and I find it particularly frustrating that people are being told they CAN'T do charity work yet forced to do this.

OP, experience is key! I see your points about it being a short time, and others getting similar experience now, but experience is soo soo important. Even if it seems unrelated to the jobs you are applying for/that are available at the moment, you can almost always swing it to show how it's useful.

Experience, in a lot of cases (obviously there are exceptions!) is not so much about having LOADS of it, it's about what you take from it. You can say in an interview about how you solved a problem, how you dealt with customers etc etc. Just make sure you make notes on situations you can use for future job applications. Also, you may be able to get a reference for future applications as well.

Having said that I don't think the government is necessarily thinking like that. I believe they are thinking 'If we make people do work we will look like we're cracking down on scroungers!' or something along those lines.

xxx

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.