Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Exam is on the 24th of May, feeling confident?

This year I crashed Higher Admin and I have done terrible throughout the whole course. I only just scraped passes in the NABs and everyone in my class failed the prelim.

I must admit I'm not bothered if I do well in the exam or not since I only sat the course as an extra Higher. My plan is to start revising for the theory by next Monday but as always I'll probably procrastinate until Wednesday. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I am in the same boat as you, I failed the prelim quite spectacularly and I only scraped passes in the NABs. I'd like to say I'm not bothered if I pass or not but I am so I'm trying my hardest with revision and I've been doing a lot of practical work. I'm quite nervous with regards to the practical exam because I always panic and spend too much time trying to get one of questions done entirely correct.

I remember I actually got 13% on one of the practical papers one time. Well it hadn't helped I didn't revise over my Easter break for admin that much but still I didn't think I'd do that badly.

I hope I remember everything needed for Higher Admin and at least we don't have to worry when guessing over the theory paper because its more likely that every single topic will make an appearance.

ReputationRep:
    For the theory i am fine, it's just the practical which is hard. We had no teacher for a large part of the course, so just properly doing it the last couple of months.

In the prelim i got an A for theory and failed the practical, so it brought my grade down to a C. Hoping i can get the practical up to an A this week!

ReputationRep:
    For me it's the other way round, I have two Admin teachers. One teaches the practical and theory about information whilst the other only teaches the main theory.

When I first started Admin the theory teacher was off for a few months so the class had useless supply teachers. For theory all we ever did was type up notes word for word from booklets... This was basically all we did throughout the whole course. I'm not even going to bother describing how the practical is for me because I'm just awful at it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Now 5 days until the exam! :facepalm:

I've decided that I'm going to have to start revising tomorrow since I have a busy week ahead. How is everyone else planning on revising for Admin, especially for the practical? For me the only way I manage to remember things is by writing things out over and over again although this method obviously isn't going to work for Admin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nfergs)

I've decided that I'm going to have to start revising tomorrow since I have a busy week ahead. How is everyone else planning on revising for Admin, especially for the practical? For me the only way I manage to remember things is by writing things out over and over again although this method obviously isn't going to work for Admin.
    There is hope, last year when I self taught myself higher admin (there was no teacher...I got 38% for the first prelim.

I crammed and went over practice papers again and again..and for the final exam I got A (73%)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by annamembo)
    There is hope, last year when I self taught myself higher admin (there was no teacher...I got 38% for the first prelim.

I crammed and went over practice papers again and again..and for the final exam I got A (73%)
    I find that the theory can be easy to pick up marks even if I'm just making up stuff and rambling about the first thing that comes to my head! How did you revise for the practical?

ReputationRep:
    Got Higher Maths on Wednesday, Advanced Business Thursday and Admin Friday.

Just going to cram Thursday night and try and wing the practical

ReputationRep:
    thankfully, my exams are quite spaced out this year (one a week for 3 weeks instead of 5 over 8 days...). already done AH history so i should be concentrating on admin right now...
    anytime i try to revise i get so bored!
    It's like i know the stuff because it's mostly common sense but actually doing past papers or looking at notes puts me to sleep.
    at least i have a uni place already so if i fail spectacularly it won't matter :P

ReputationRep:

I've decided that I'm going to have to start revising tomorrow since I have a busy week ahead. How is everyone else planning on revising for Admin, especially for the practical?
    out teacher said we could go into school whenever we wanted to do past papers on the computers. she said if she didn't see us in the 2 weeks of study leave before the exam then we'd find it very difficult :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EllieSaysHeya)
    out teacher said we could go into school whenever we wanted to do past papers on the computers. she said if she didn't see us in the 2 weeks of study leave before the exam then we'd find it very difficult :/
    Same with my exams, I've had a 2 week break since my first exam was on the first day of exam leave.

My teacher is offering help to my class tomorrow to do some practical since she also said the exam would be difficult without practice beforehand although I'm just going to wing it and hope for the best.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Basically my revision is consisting of making notes and powerpoints out of the notes I've been given and cram the knowledge in and hopefully do well. Honestly I'm dreading the actual exam because I feel so unprepared and unmotivated.

For the practical I have a heap of past papers and other practice questions and really focus on my weaker areas with the theory.

I've been really looking at Calculated fields in Databases and been doing a lot of revision on all the common calculations that needs to be done in spreadsheets such as V&HLookups as well as IF statements etc.

I'm feeling slightly more confident in my theory as you can ramble and as long as you make your answers detailed then you're fine.

Its the practical side of the course that I'm worried about. I always start to panic and end up spending too much time on one question and then run out of time on the next.

ReputationRep:
    One day until the exam...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Derri-95)
    Basically my revision is consisting of making notes and powerpoints out of the notes I've been given and cram the knowledge in and hopefully do well. Honestly I'm dreading the actual exam because I feel so unprepared and unmotivated.

For the practical I have a heap of past papers and other practice questions and really focus on my weaker areas with the theory.

I've been really looking at Calculated fields in Databases and been doing a lot of revision on all the common calculations that needs to be done in spreadsheets such as V&HLookups as well as IF statements etc.

I'm feeling slightly more confident in my theory as you can ramble and as long as you make your answers detailed then you're fine.

Its the practical side of the course that I'm worried about. I always start to panic and end up spending too much time on one question and then run out of time on the next.
    Well it seems to me that you'll pass with flying colours with the revision you're doing!

Two people went to the extra study session my teacher offered yesterday but they only got through the 2012 past paper which was pretty pointless. I got one of my friends to send me the files for the 2011 practical although the database files wouldn't open up on my laptop so I only attempted the spreadsheet which was a disaster. I did however learn how to calculate a percentage increase. I also did the 2011 theory paper yesterday which didn't go too well either...

ReputationRep:
    What you're best doing is just looking through past papers over all the years, and bullet pointing your answers for each. Highlight the questions you know you would struggle with in an exam and look on the SQA solutions rather than trying to do things for yourself, I find it drills concepts into your head more and because it is quick and brief you cover more content in the time. This is how I revise and I got 50/60 for my KU in the prelim. Also, make note of the command words as they are SO important. Good luck everyone, here's hoping the SQA are nice to us!

ReputationRep:
    I guess I was lucky when it came to crashing Higher Admin. I have done SG/Higher/AH Bus Man where a lot of the theory questions come from and did SG Computing where a lot of the practical abilities come from so I find Admin pretty easy (without trying to sound big headed). Think the exam tomorrow will be fine, nobody needs to panic

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I did SG in Admin and in Business and H Admin theory is just pretty much the same as SG you just have to write more! Hoping it goes well for everyone tomorrow, and for the Practical make sure you pick up on simple marks such as the page number and footers etc, just incase it all goes pear shaped!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KeithyDee)
    I guess I was lucky when it came to crashing Higher Admin. I have done SG/Higher/AH Bus Man where a lot of the theory questions come from and did SG Computing where a lot of the practical abilities come from so I find Admin pretty easy (without trying to sound big headed). Think the exam tomorrow will be fine, nobody needs to panic
    I also did SG Computing and this year I crashed Higher Information Systems and have still struggled with the practical. I think it's mainly because I was taught to type all formulas out in Computing and IS whereas with Admin my teacher tried to teach me the function way which I've never and still don't understand!

ReputationRep:
    Im so scared for practical. My teacher has predicted that a letter will come up (she gets it right every year so far) I just cant grasp V-lookups etc. Im sooo dreading this. Plus its such a boring subject to study for

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KeithyDee)
    I've done the same subjects as you, except I done Int 2 Computing and i find the practical tricky! Just going to wing it tomorrow

Just starting to revise some theory now
    (Original post by amw1996)
    Im so scared for practical. My teacher has predicted that a letter will come up (she gets it right every year so far) I just cant grasp V-lookups etc. Im sooo dreading this. Plus its such a boring subject to study for
    A letter will be in the exam

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.