Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    does water leave through the proximal convoluted tubule or is it impermeable to water?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by celina10)
    does water leave through the proximal convoluted tubule or is it impermeable to water?
    The water is able to leave the proximal convoluted tubule as it is permeable to water A part of the nephron that is impermeable to water would be the ascending limb of the Loop of Henle, for example!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zef1995)
    The water is able to leave the proximal convoluted tubule as it is permeable to water A part of the nephron that is impermeable to water would be the ascending limb of the Loop of Henle, for example!
    But more water is reabsorbed by the collecting ducts right?

ReputationRep:
    But more water is reabsorbed by the collecting ducts right?
    Surprisingly not, as much as some water is reabsorbed in the collecting ducts and in the Loop of Henle, from what I've read about 65% of water is reabsorbed in the proximal convoluted tubule!

I hope that's helpful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zef1995)
    Surprisingly not, as much as some water is reabsorbed in the collecting ducts and in the Loop of Henle, from what I've read about 65% of water is reabsorbed in the proximal convoluted tubule!

I hope that's helpful
    Oh so the collecting ducts just control how much extra water is reabsorbed, and thanks

ReputationRep:
    Oh so the collecting ducts just control how much extra water is reabsorbed, and thanks
    In a way, yes! Have you been taught about osmoregulation yet? If the water potential of the blood is too high, less ADH is released into the blood, causing less water to reabsorbed in the collecting duct - overall leading to more dilute urine.
    The opposite goes for when the water potential of the blood is too low. Osmoreceptors in the hypothalamus detect this, and more ADH is released into the blood. The ADH molecules bind to complimentary receptors on the walls of the collecting duct, making the walls more permeable as aquaporins form in the membrane. As the walls are more permeable, more water is selectively reabsorbed and urine is more concentrated.

You're more than welcome I hope your exam goes well!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.