Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Right now I have hit an all time low. In September 2011 I used a scented hair removal cream down below. A few days after I started having pain whilst urinating and producing a thick white discharge and became increasingly itchy. I then proceeded to treat myself for thrush using a pessary as it was pretty obvious it could only be thrush. I've been with my boyfriend two years and the has no STI/STD to speak of. A few months later I had a similar outbreak and treated myself with a canesten oral tablet and cream. Sure enough, summer last year I had another bout and I had enough and went to the doctors. They then prescribed me the same canesten duo thrush cream and tablet and things cleared up again. However since having thrush in September I can't remember ever having sex which was pain-free. My boyfriend and I had a great sex life previously but now I just worry about sex as I know its only going to hurt me. It has resulted in me losing my sex drive. All I want is pain free sex. Over the last week the dreaded discharge and itching has returned and after having sex at the weekend I am left in complete agony. I purchased some vagisil to ease the symptoms a little and plan to go to the doctors this week but I am at the end of my tether and dont know wuat to do. If anyone has had any similar experience please tell me how hou went about it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm really sorry to hear you're having such problems with thrush. I haven't really had any personal experience but if you weren't planning to already I suggest telling the doctor that its recurrent - they will probably want to do swabs to check that it actually is thrush and not something else. They might even give you a different medicine as not all thrush is caused by the same thing.

It's very rare for thrush to be passed between partners but it is more likely that your boyfriend is giving it back to you if he has a weakened immune system - people with diabetes are more likely to have get episodes of thrush.

I'd tell the doctor how its affecting your sex life as well - pain during sex is a common symptom of thrush and the doctor may be able to offer some advice in that area as well

Good luck, I hope it all gets sorted soon!

ReputationRep:
    You should speak to your GP about the possibility of having bacterial vaginosis, which is similar to thrush but also causes painful intercourse.

ReputationRep:
    I am almost convinced completely its thrush due to the discharge as BV is different in that aspect. I have an appointment with the nurse today and I am going to set down the line. I've never had unprotected sex, canesten does not work and I want this gone as it is depressing me. I am 18 and should not have to be worrying if sex will hurt or not and its gone on for quite long enough.

ReputationRep:
    Get your bf to get some medicine. I kept getting reinfected with my ex because although i got treated he did not.

ReputationRep:
    Yea ur boyfriend needs to be treated for it aswell otherwise he will just keep passing it back x

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I agree with what previous posters have said, your boyfriend needs to be treated too. Thrush should not be recurrent so going to the doctors is the best bet. Good luck!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 24, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.