Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Getting my tongue pierced in two weeks, not sure about how painful it will be and how long it will take to get it pierced. Are there any ways I can make it less painful when getting it done?

ReputationRep:
    Quite an obvious way is to take pain killers about half an hour beforehand. Other than that I suggest you just do it! If you've had your ears pierced it will take a similar amount of time and is a similar procedure to that but will hurt more because it is through a muscle. I suggest you look up online what they do and how others have taken it beforehand. There will be loads of articles on it I expect!

ReputationRep:
    I guess i'll have to brave it then aha! Thanks for the help

ReputationRep:
    One of my friends had it done just over a month ago and he told me it was painful for nearly a week and grew to like quadruple the size! :/ But I wouldn't let that put you off. If that's what you want to do then go for it! I've heard it makes it more pleasurable when you kiss and stuff Also, I don't know you, but if you have a job then I'd suggest you get transparent ones so that it's not as visible to the public and so then you can keep it in rather than it healing up because it hurts real bad apparently. Hope I helped a bit

ReputationRep:
    Ice can help with the swelling afterwards, as can taking ibuprofen.

ReputationRep:
    Take anti-inflammatory drugs post-procedure and pain killers pre-procedure.

ReputationRep:
    Avoid taking painkillers before hand, they often thin your blood and as you are essentially putting a hole in your muscle you want as little blood as possible! It isn't that bad, had mine done after my gcse results as a present to myself. Just go for it, and get some non-alcoholic mouthwash to use every time after eating/smoking anything like that. It will hurt most in the morning when you wake up, as the tongue will not have been moving during the night and it feels like a sharp ache so just have some ibroprufen ready next to your bed. Ice does help (I lived off mcflurries) but whilst a lot of people say avoid solid food there really isn't a need to, just be careful when you chew because I guarantee you will bite it in the first week. Good luck

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 22, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.