Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

No pilot in your aeroplane, would you fly in it? Watch

• View Poll Results: Would you fly in a pilotless aeroplane?
    Yup
    56.25%
    Nope, but I think they're safe enough to have around
    12.50%
    Nope, and we should not send any pilotless planes up there
    25.00%
    Wtf are these crazy Skynet employees doing?
    6.25%

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't sure where to put this, hopefully here is suitable.

Somebody's decided it'd be a good idea to have full size passenger aeroplanes flying around where the pilot controls the thing from elsewhere. Now, it hasn't happened yet, but that's the end goal. Do you think that's a good idea?

Positives I can see are that you could cut down on the number of pilots needed/reduce the risk of fatigue by getting an in-airport pilot team to do continual take-offs and landings for each runway without wasting time sleeping in the cockpit for the hours between take-off and landing for the flight. Also, if something bad happens to the pilot, they can be replaced by someone competent more easily on the ground than if they were in the aeroplane.

However, if we do have remote pilots, we are very dependent on the signal being relayed correctly, and of course that nobody can hijack it. Remote pilots also wouldn't have the feel of the plane should something go wrong, and I think I'd feel more comfortable in the hands of a pilot whose life was also in the balance than someone who could walk away from their desk blaming technical difficulties.

ReputationRep:
    Remote pilots wouldn't look anything like this would they?

Name:  TS_airplane_autopilot.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  36.4 KB

ReputationRep:
    well a plane can more or less land itself on its own anyway having a pilot is just extra helpful, the days of fighting joy sticks for control are long gone...

ReputationRep:
    Maybe on a one off, but probably not unless I knew how to fly a plane.

ReputationRep:
    I'm really undecided. At the moment I don't think enough people would for airlines to bother anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I'd do it if there was someone trained in the cockpit at all times. He could be reading The Economist with his feet up smoking a Cuban cigar for all I care. So long as he's there when the robot turns bad.

ReputationRep:
    of course I would; if the facility was there to do so, it likely means it safe. Airlines aren't going to want to lose their fleet aircraft regularly and fork up for replacements, nor do they want loss of customer life because it's massively damaging for reputation. Those two factors mean that if pilotless aircraft were available for the public, they've likely been tested and are safe to use.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.