Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

VA89 - Repeat of Referendums watch

• View Poll Results: Should this amendment be passed into the Guidance Document?
    As many are of the opinion, Aye
    57.14%
    Of the contrary, No
    35.71%
    Abstain
    7.14%

• Wiki Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Welcome Squad
    VA89 - Repeat of Referendums

Proposer: Thunder and Jazz
    Seconders: Birchington, MacDaddi, miser, obi_adorno_kenobi, St. Brynjar.

To amend the Guidance Document under Referendums from
    1)Referendums should relate to real life constitutional matters.

2) Referendums will have to be approved by the Speaker and Community team before taking place.

3) A thread will be posted in Current Affairs along with a poll posing the question to the members of TSR.

4) All TSR members with more than 100 posts and 3 months experience may vote.

5) Referendums will pass if more votes are cast in favour than against (excluding abstentions), but a bill or motion may stipulate a higher percentage.

6) Voting for a referendum will last 4 days.

7) No more than 1 referendum may be called in a single term of parliament.

8) A member of the Community team will be the returning officer during a referendum.

9) Referendum Petitions –

9.1) can be submitted by a party, an MP or a non-MP when seconded by an MP.

9.2) shall be in the following format: "We the undersigned call for a referendum on..... with the question......"

9.3) will pass if signed by more than 50% of sitting MPs.
    to
    1)Referendums should relate to real life constitutional matters.

2) Referendums will have to be approved by the Speaker and Community team before taking place.

3) A thread will be posted in Current Affairs along with a poll posing the question to the members of TSR.

4) All TSR members with more than 100 posts and 3 months experience may vote.

5) Referendums will pass if more votes are cast in favour than against (excluding abstentions), but a bill or motion may stipulate a higher percentage.

6) Voting for a referendum will last 4 days.

7) No more than 1 referendum may be called in a single term of parliament.

7.1) The Speaker may reject a referendum on the grounds that it is significantly similar to a previous referendum that has been held within the last four parliamentary terms (including the current term).

8) A member of the Community team will be the returning officer during a referendum.

9) Referendum Petitions –

9.1) can be submitted by a party, an MP or a non-MP when seconded by an MP.

9.2) shall be in the following format: "We the undersigned call for a referendum on..... with the question......"

9.3) will pass if signed by more than 50% of sitting MPs.

ReputationRep:
    Proxy for TMD - Aye.

Thanks to those who seconded this.

ReputationRep:
    Oh I'm sorry, I thought it was polite for the proposer to double check with the seconders that they were happy for it to go to vote.

(Original post by Thunder and Jazz)
    Proxy for TMD - Aye.

Thanks to those who seconded this.
    I didn't, I proposed that it go to the floor; you didn't bother asking about putting it to the vote.

ReputationRep:
    Apologies. I have never done so and am pretty sure that no-one who has had me second anything has asked me if I was happy for it to progress through the stages. I didn't consider it necessary or impolite.

Clearly, I was wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thunder and Jazz)
    Apologies. I have never done so and am pretty sure that no-one who has had me second anything has asked me if I was happy for it to progress through the stages. I didn't consider it necessary or impolite.

Clearly, I was wrong.
    In my experience, people ask because opinions may shift during the debate. It's certainly what's happened in the past when I've seconded amendments and what not. Given the debate, I was actually minded not to support this to vote however since it is here, I shall vote no.

ReputationRep:
    No for reasons adequately expressed in the main thread.

ReputationRep:
    Missing a space after 1). If that grammatical mistake is fixed I'll vote yes.

ReputationRep:
    I think that's the kind of thing that Jarred can fix if he has to put this in.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Welcome Squad
    The Ayes have it, the Ayes have it! Unlock!

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 17, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

Debate and current affairs forum guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.