Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi. So I applied to do English with creative writing at university and basically the closer it gets, the more scared I am. I was wondering if anyone out there had any words of wisdom about the course? Ive never done a lot in terms of people actually reading what I write and feel really worried about people having to at uni, which I get they obviously will!

Did other people feel like this when they started their uni course and was it as intimidating/ scary when you actually got there? I can be quite shy and an worried about being thrown into the the deep end, not only socially but in terms of my course as well. Thanks in advance anyone! x

ReputationRep:
    I get what you mean I really want to do a create writing course at uni but am worried about people reading stuff I write. Good luck with everything though and I hope it's a good course!
    As for the nerves I find that posting stories online helps build my confidence! There's a site called Wattpad which you should try, people read and post stories and give you support and advice on what you write. It might help you feel better knowing that people do like your writing!
    Hope this helped, good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I've applied to do the same course as you and am feeling exactly the same way! What Uni have you applied to?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Portsmouth is my first choice

ReputationRep:
    I applied to Portsmouth but didn't choose it as any of my choices I liked the course but I'd prefer to be on a campus uni than in a city

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm in exactly the same shoes as you! I've applied for an English Lit. and Creative writing degree course at Warwick. I think it is really scary when I think about people reading my work, especially as I know the majority of it will probably be rubbish (: But I think there will also be advantages to it aswell, for one thing I think you can tell a lot about a person from their writing since it can be very personal, which means we will probably get very close to fellow students taking the same course In my art class, our art teacher 'psycho-analysed' us based on the art work we had produced so far, and we were all really freaked out by how insightful she was! As for preparation, I'm just trying to write as much as possible over the summer!

ReputationRep:
    I'm studying the same, an generally you have workshops where you read out work and the class offers criticism.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I know that you are all likely to have made your first and second choices, but if things don't go as planned and you end up in clearing, it might be worth looking at University of Wales, Trinity Saint David. English and Creative Writing (together or separately) are taught on the Lampeter campus. We are not a well known university so we usually have places available through clearing.

The whole university is incredibly friendly and so I doubt that you would be worried about having your work judged once you had settled in. My friend is on the Creative Writing course, and she really enjoys the relaxed, non-judgmental atmosphere. She also had the opportunity to spend 3 weeks in Vancouver this year to do a module out there. She thoroughly enjoyed it! She got to sit in on some classes at Douglas College where the teaching style was quite different and she had plenty of time to just explore Canada and let it inspire her.

Please let me know if you are interested in knowing more about the university as I would be more than happy to answer questions. The university website is http://www.trinitysaintdavid.ac.uk/en/

Lili.

ReputationRep:
    Hello there,

I'm Gemma, and I've been on the Creative Writing course at Lampeter uni for two years now. Doesn't matter which uni you choose, the courses are mostly the same in terms of modules. When it comes to reading out loud, let me assure you it does make you very nervous the first few times. But you learn to get used to it, and the feed-back from other students in the class is structural criticism.There have been no incidences of rude, or offensive remarks so far. :P
    It does make you more confident, this course. I used to be really shy when I got here, but the course has helped me to become more sociable. I'm really loving it. If you guys have any questions about the course, then Lili Hicks can help answer your questions. I don't mind helping out either if I'm online.
    Have no fears, the course isn't scary at all! Good luck for applying this year to whatever uni you decide on!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.