Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Thread Starter


    I'm applying for student finance for a course beginning in September. I've had difficulties getting a signature for my birth certificate but that's now sorted and ready to post tomorrow along with the evidence that I'm financially responsible for my son.

    I previously completed a year at a different university in 2010/11, however I decided it wasn't the course for me, it was in London and I'm from the North-East of England. I was suffering from depression, had very few friends - none of whom understood what was going on despite efforts to talk to them and so I bottled up, got worse, ended up missing many days of uni, losing an awful lot of weight and isolating myself hardly leaving my room.

    This all together caused me to leave after my first year, having been told that I would qualify for funding for a 2nd degree if I chose to go back as my first year would count as a 'false start'. I began a college course in Sept 2011, however left with no qualifications as it was a 2 year BTEC and you received nothing in way of qualification after the first year. I had to leave due to losing my job while pregnant, the only way to get any financial support while at college as I was living with my mum was to leave to enable me to claim benefits (as a short term support until I was back on my feet).

    However when I'm on my student finance application for this year it asks me to 'Select which evidence item you will provide to confirm your Course not completed reason'. There is the option to send evidence of compelling personal reasons, or that I am unable to provide evidence. My new doctor is unwilling to write me any form of letter stating that I was unwell as I was not under the care of a gp for the period of jan-may 2011. I was in treatment up until this point, and began again on returning home but as part of my illness I isolated myself to the point that I was scared to speak to strangers - including doctors.

    Will saying that I am unable to provide evidence harm my finance application? I'm unsure of how to approach it and every time I've rung up for advice I've been told either something different or to just send the others off and see.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Was your tutor aware of your depression?

    As you've only previously studied for a year, if your new degree will be three years long, then you are still entitled to three years of Student Finance.

    The calculation is:
    Number of years of your new degree - Number of years previously studied + 1 year = Number of years of funding remaining

    If I've understood your situation correctly, this gives you:

    So even if you can't provide evidence for the non-completion of your course, you should still get all three years of your new degree funded. You just have to be careful that you don't end up having to repeat a year at any point, as that would have to be self-funded.

    im in a similar situation to this what did you end up doing
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.