Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am leaving TSR. If this thread reaches the forum, then it means that it has been approved, and I am finally being allowed my freedom of expression. My last thread was deleted. I shall not go into specifics, but I was having an honest discussion about welfare reform. I can no longer participate in a forum that denies me my rights to say what I truly feel. This will probably not get approved. And if this is going to the moderators only, I want you to know that you have killed the spirit of this forum, and made it anti-democratic. This is a disgrace to all the values we hold dear in our liberal democracy, and I am utterly disgusted.

Signed,

s.a.u, former member

ReputationRep:
    Just having my say before I leave:

(Original post by alis-volatpropriis)
    You're forgetting that one day you will be old too. And if everyone goes by your logic and eradicates free bus passes, winter fuel allowance, council tax reductions, and all the other things the elderly are entitled to. Most likely the elderly will suffer, and you'll see more suicides among the elderly too.
    Yes, I accept that I will be old one day, but I will not require state support to live out the rest of my days. The fact of the matter is that they should not be entitled to them. Can you actually verify the claim that we will see more suicides among the elderly? No, you cannot, because it is baseless. The elderly are a societal burden. We need to go back to way it was, when people cared for their elderly relatives, out of love and respect. In the developing world they do not have these luxurious pensioner provisions, and what happens? Families club together and look after their loved ones, and they are better for it.

Look at the grand scheme of things. People in this country do not even know real poverty, and it is absolutely disgusting when someone claims to commit suicide over losing £20 a week, which was being given to her anyway. Elderly people have it too good not just in the UK, but in the western world as a whole. The family network of support should help elderly relatives, or at the very least their children.

It is not my, or any taxpayer's, responsibility to feed, clothe, house and give handouts to your elderly relatives. There is no logic in this whatsoever. The real people who require the welfare state are those disabled, or otherwise incapacitated, or actually in need, turning a certain age does not entitle you to a free ride for the rest of your life at the expense of the taxpayer.

And here is a thought, this woman wasn't even elderly, she was 53. Why on earth wasn't she working? It's her own fault if she 'couldn't afford to live', which I still think is an absolutely baseless statement, and gross hyperbole. If she was not living within her means, then that was her own fault. She was provided with the money for the basics, and if she (and others) want to spend on luxuries, tough. It is not the state's job.

Truly, we are an extravagant people, if someone considers losing a bit of money a matter of life and death. Go to third world countries and see the amazingly little amounts of money that people manage to live on. Our benefits system makes me sick to my stomach. If suicides increase it is because they chose not to live within their means, and then made a selfish decision to end their life for whatever reason, most likely underlying psychological concerns.

I am just so shocked about the state of welfare in this country. One day there will be a government who will stand up to the elderly, and to benefit claimants, and inform them that yes, the state will provide for their necessities, and prevent them from falling through the net, but that is all the state will do, and so, all benefits, whether for young or old, will be reduced to sustenance level.

That is all. Goodbye TSR, you won't be missed.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Bye, I will surely miss you so much, it's making me cry, I can't help it.

:sad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s.a.u)
    Just having my say before I leave:

Yes, I accept that I will be old one day, but I will not require state support to live out the rest of my days. The fact of the matter is that they should not be entitled to them. Can you actually verify the claim that we will see more suicides among the elderly? No, you cannot, because it is baseless. The elderly are a societal burden. We need to go back to way it was, when people cared for their elderly relatives, out of love and respect. In the developing world they do not have these luxurious pensioner provisions, and what happens? Families club together and look after their loved ones, and they are better for it.

Look at the grand scheme of things. People in this country do not even know real poverty, and it is absolutely disgusting when someone claims to commit suicide over losing £20 a week, which was being given to her anyway. Elderly people have it too good not just in the UK, but in the western world as a whole. The family network of support should help elderly relatives, or at the very least their children.

It is not my, or any taxpayer's, responsibility to feed, clothe, house and give handouts to your elderly relatives. There is no logic in this whatsoever. The real people who require the welfare state are those disabled, or otherwise incapacitated, or actually in need, turning a certain age does not entitle you to a free ride for the rest of your life at the expense of the taxpayer.

And here is a thought, this woman wasn't even elderly, she was 53. Why on earth wasn't she working? It's her own fault if she 'couldn't afford to live', which I still think is an absolutely baseless statement, and gross hyperbole. If she was not living within her means, then that was her own fault. She was provided with the money for the basics, and if she (and others) want to spend on luxuries, tough. It is not the state's job.

Truly, we are an extravagant people, if someone considers losing a bit of money a matter of life and death. Go to third world countries and see the amazingly little amounts of money that people manage to live on. Our benefits system makes me sick to my stomach. If suicides increase it is because they chose not to live within their means, and then made a selfish decision to end their life for whatever reason, most likely underlying psychological concerns.

I am just so shocked about the state of welfare in this country. One day there will be a government who will stand up to the elderly, and to benefit claimants, and inform them that yes, the state will provide for their necessities, and prevent them from falling through the net, but that is all the state will do, and so, all benefits, whether for young or old, will be reduced to sustenance level.

That is all. Goodbye TSR, you won't be missed.

:eek::broken:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.