The Student Room Group

Auden

Hey, could I please get some help on Auden A04
I'm assuming your taking the aspects of narrative exam for AQA?
I would not worry too much about context, as it's only relevant in section A part b and counts for relatively little.
However I talked to one of the principle examiners and this is a quote from him.

'The context is in the question. So, if it is about comedy, then comedy (and tragedy, if that’s the other side of the argument) is there in the title. No need for much social, cultural historical context at all. If in doubt, context should either be in the question, or in the text itself and external information is not needed.'

My advice is that if you were to get a question about religion, conflict or war- something of that nature, then you won't need to explore anything else.
If the question was about love or relationships (or something similar) then you could perhaps BRIEFLY mention something about Auden's disillusionment with love- you don't want to make it too biographical though or if you were talking about 'O What is that sound', you could link it to war.
You won't need any specific dates or facts.
I would try not to worry about it and focus more on your argument/ analysis and the context should just appear naturally. Hope this helps!
Reply 2
Thanks, that was great help :smile:
Reply 3
I'm using Auden for section B but I think one of the main point to focus on regarding his authorial intention is the way in each of his poems (I've studied miss gee, as I walked out one evening, James honey an, musee des beaux arts, o what is that sound, 1st of september and victor) is the way that in each of his poems he reflects on the ignorance of society towards others.
Miss Gee is a good example when the students laugh at her body at the end.
He also has a nihilistic tone in his poetry particularly in As I walked out one evening as the beginning is very hyperbolic and then the tone changes and the 1st of September also reflects on the destruction of humanity, a good quote for that is 'all I have is a voice to undo the folded lie'
You might already know that but just putting it out there haha.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending