Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

In need of any help possible. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I'm 22 and I have recently been made redundant from my job I have had since high school.
    I'm looking to get back into education and chase a dream of mine I've had since being a child, to be an archaeologist or something within that industry.
    I have my GCSE's all C and above for Maths, English, Science and Geography. The only further education I did was a level 2 NVQ in Customer Service.

I have no clue how to go about getting to where I want to be, but I am more then willing to try. I'm asking for people to help with any suggestion they can.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Archaeology as both an industry and academic discipline, is in a very poor state. Too many very experienced people, chasing too few jobs. Most archaeology vacancies require a minimum of two years' professional experience - even the entry-level ones. Sadly that means that you can't even build up relevant experience with volunteering or student placements.

However, the basic minimum entry qualification of an undergraduate degree still seems to be a requirement, so if you qualify for full Student Finance funding then you could do worse than spend three years getting at least that far. If you do become an archaeologist, then you'll probably never earn enough to reach the Student Loan repayment threshold, so that at least is a positive.

Many universities will accept mature students after a year's Access course instead of A Levels & their associated UCAS points. Have a shop around and see which uni/courses you like the look of, then email their Admissions Office, explain your situation and ask whether they'll accept an Access course for entry. If so, make sure they recommend the correct one - there are different types of Access course and some may not be appropriate for an Archaeology degree.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    The above poster has given you some good advice. However, to add my own two cents in - have you considered doing an apprenticeship? At 22 it's not too late as the cut off age is 25 .
    It's just another options for you.

You could also study for A levels through distance learning through somewhere like oxford college, and the open university to undergrad courses that may be helpful to look into

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.