Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    edit: nvm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nish81)
    im in the market for something new, and im looking specifically at these hybrid machines: things that function as a tablet and also connect to a keyboard/dock to turn into a 'laptop'

my budget is around £1000 max - and thats an upper limit, preferably no more than £900 or so.

i have a desktop already which i do my 'main things' on. this will mainly be for browsing, work, watching movies, listening to music. no heavy gaming or other hardcore work

my main priority in terms of a spec is battery life. right now im thinking of, say, the hp envy x2, or the acer iconia w510

i'd much appreciate if anyone had any advice on this matter as i've so far only used a 'traditional' windows 7 laptop
    It very much depends on your usage. The only reason I see use for a Hybrid tablet, is if you want the portability of a tablet, and want to do occasional work that requires a keyboard, like msoffice.

Personally, I think that at the moment they are overpriced. If you could expand and be specific of the 'work' you need to do (what programs etc) then I could make a better decision, but for what your saying to me a standard tablet would do you fine (iPad etc). However if you wanted more of a full computer, at that price range I have to recommend you the MacBook air. If your willing to spend the money, it's a great portable machine with (imo) the best OS out there, and the build quality and looks to match.

Feel free to ask anymore questions. It feels like I'm working at home on the Tech forum :P

Tom

ReputationRep:
    cheers tom! i'd be glad to clarify -

the 'work' I mentioned is reading pdfs, working on MS word/excel, taking notes in Evernote, etc, possible having a couple open at a go (say a pdf and a note in evernote)

I'd also want to simultaneously listen to music and be able to switch windows and browse the web etc while doing that

unfortunately I've used a macbook pro for the last few years and i'm really not a fan of the macintosh OS and the direction it's taking. similarly I own an ipad (the second one i think? quite old) and i'm not a fan of iOS. so I'd definitely want a windows for that

i'm not too worried about looks though

the main reason i thought of a hybrid is because the ability to have one machine for a laptop and for a tablet seems quite appealing - the former for when i want to sit down and 'work properly'/type, the latter for when im just lying on a couch and want to surf the net/watch a movie/read something. plus i'd read of a couple that have a decent battery life and a decent processor that'd allow some multitasking, but if you think they're overpriced then maybe it's a bad idea. would you recommend a standard laptop/ultrabook in lieu of a hybrid?

thanks again
    I see the appeal as well, but you would be paying an extortionate amount for the specs inside. I understand you don't like your Mac atm, so I won't harp on that anymore, but I was in your position a couple of months ago (not liking the OS, thinking it was also overpriced etc) and now I'm an Apple Product Professional in my local PCWorld store, and about to buy a MacBook air once exams are over. Maybe go and try out a newer model?

Anyway, an Ultrabook would probably be the best option for you then. Very portable and powerful, and would do all you need. Have a look at these, always read reviews and I would recommend going into a store and try before you buy (some of these are touch screen, which I'm not a huge fan of but works will with Windows 8) -

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptop...82417-pdt.html

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptop...56572-pdt.html

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptop...56545-pdt.html

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptop...07827-pdt.html

Post on here if you have any more questions, or find a different model you want me to check out

Tom

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the help tom! i spent quite a while reading reviews and comments about those laptops, and ive now got another question - do you think it's worth waiting for the newest Intel processors - Haswell - to come out in early June before buying a laptop? say for the extended battery life offered by them? or should i just go ahead and get one now

thanks again!
    The only reason I would see to wait would be the new Iris Pro graphics, which is the new improved integrated graphics on the Haswell CPU's. Honestly if your doing anything graphic intensive (light gaming or similar) it will be worth the wait. But you might be waiting a while for them to trickle through onto new machines.

ReputationRep:
    If your primary concern is battery life then I'd say it's worth waiting for Haswell, given that its headline feature seems to be low power consumption. The announcement is in like 3 weeks so not very long to wait and see what it brings.

As to your tablet, I would consider the Surface Pro. IMO it's by far the best designed tablet/laptop hybrid. However, it does have limited battery life of around 4 hours, so if that's a major issue then perhaps a different option would be more suitable. Personally I'm planning to buy the second gen SP with Haswell to solve the battery life issue. Depends how urgently you need it though, there's no point waiting until the end of the year / start of the next if you need it now.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 16, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.